shape
carat
color
clarity

HRD this time with a Color Grading device

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
http://www.idexonline.com/portal_FullNews.asp?id=28924

The lab said that, thanks to the device’s innovative grading technology, it builds a bridge between human color perception and instrumental color measurement.

According to Brys, Lumisense is particularly effective in the grading of brilliants in top colors, regardless of the diamond type or its level of fluorescence. “We have found that the consistency of its grading is second to none,” he added.

HRD have an excellent R&D arm.
This can be a major step forward.
The previous announcment by the Dubai lab, IDL, of their machine does apparently not do all fluoro or brownish shades.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
not shocking, reading the color/tone is trivial but trying to fit it into the stupid color system in use today isn''t.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/29/2007 11:46:49 PM
Author: strmrdr
not shocking, reading the color/tone is trivial but trying to fit it into the stupid color system in use today isn''t.
Translation attempt:

side on color grading is stoopid
why not do it face up?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 11:52:19 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 11/29/2007 11:46:49 PM
Author: strmrdr
Translation attempt:

side on color grading is stoopid
why not do it face up?
wouldn''t help any the real problem is arbitrary and conflicted divisions that make no sense and add no value for consumers.
I don''t really care if its side or face up as long as it is repeatable and accurate and a world wide standard.
But if its face up then it needs to be labeled as apparent color rather than material color and the pricing system would also change.
Overall the current system needs to be totally tossed out and replaced.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Their lab is using a color grading tool primarily for smaller diamonds, all below 1/2ct, they said. As diamond get larger, the color grading done form the side versus from the top really changes more.

Of course, a machine can deliver consistency beyond the human eye. It never tires and does not suffer differences from one human to the next. HOWEVER, consistency does not equate with accuracy or correctly mating with the existing grading system which is well known, accepted and used by a very broad market. Changing the grading system could be a solution, but getting the entire market to work in an orderly manner to do such a thing would be very problematic.

The best solution is machine grading of color, but with programming and a device which makes the grade according to the current GIA classifications. ImaGem has such a patented tool for this for some time which has programming down to approximately J or K color and with sufficient further samples of darker colors could do the same for any transparent colored gem, not just diamond. There are not many GIA graded diamonds circulating below K color, so finding a decent sample of those stones is not so easy. Fancy colors are recognized as available, but graded currently with rather loose and somewhat erratic categorization by even the best labs.

If a machine gives a grade which some experts disagree with they may believe the machine does not work. Who can judge whether the machine is right or the expert is correct? Each side has its own vested interest or possible bias. Over time, the trade will become more comfortable with some degree of what now seems like arbitrary machine grading. Labor will be saved, costs and efficiency will be increased, consistent results will be given. Once the bonds of tradition are overcome, we will see more and more of acceptance.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Misread the post, Garry. I thought this was IDL, not HRD. The new IDL chief came out of HRD. I suppose the technology may have slipped out with him some way as IDL is saying what I was speaking about. Maybe HRD has something I don''t know about, too. Anyway, I couldn''t edit my post due to the time limit, but I needed to correct what I previosuly posted.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/30/2007 9:10:07 AM
Author: oldminer
Misread the post, Garry. I thought this was IDL, not HRD. The new IDL chief came out of HRD. I suppose the technology may have slipped out with him some way as IDL is saying what I was speaking about. Maybe HRD has something I don''t know about, too. Anyway, I couldn''t edit my post due to the time limit, but I needed to correct what I previosuly posted.
Yes, Peter is from there and would have known all WTOCD''s research projects.
They have some very good people - I think we should assume this is the best yet technology

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results