shape
carat
color
clarity

How yellow does a J colour look in platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dark918

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any experience with J colour diamonds set in platinum? I was wondering if the colour is noticeable once set in a ring?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
J Stones in Platnium This is one of many threads here on PS about just that. Many posters here have J colored stones in platnium and or white gold and love them.

madrock

Rough_Rock
It will also depend on the size of the stone and the shape that you are considering..mine is a very white J, but there are still times when it looks a little yellow against the platinum/diamond halo. It''s up to you to decide how much it will bother you.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Definitely check out the thread for which Mat provided the link. It will give you some idea how a J might look in white metal. The unfortunate thing is that it can be very difficult to discern diamond color in a photograph on a computer. I think you will find that an ideal cut J will look very white face up. I have an ideal cut I and I don't notice any color in the face up position. You might, however, notice some color looking at the stone through the pavilion. Whether this will bother you is something only you can know. And there's no guarantee that you'll even be able to see any color. Some people are more color sensitive than others. The other thing to keep in mind is that not all Js are the same. Some Js are closer to an I and some are closer to a K. If you go through a vendor like WF or GOG, I am sure they can tell you how white the stone is and whether it's a high J, middle J, or low J. How big a stone are you looking at? The bigger the stone, the easier it is to perceive color. Any chance you could go to a store locally to see a few stones in a range of colors? That way you can have some idea whether you're one of those people who is very color sensitive, not at all color sensitive, or somewhere in between.

tyke

Rough_Rock
The thread that''s posted is excellent, and gave me the courage to consider a J in platinum. Perhaps, at least in my opinion, the cut of a J is more important than the clarity or shape of the stone. My round brilliant is a H&A, ideal cut and is very white face up. I will be honest and tell you that I don''t see color, at least not much, from the side. And while I believe that that cut does mask the color, its graded J for a reason, I''m just not seeing it. As for vendor selection, I spoke directly with Brian and Lesley from WF who visually looked at the stone for me. Brian actually prefered the J from a color perspective than another stone, an I, H&A I was considering. My best advice would be that if you''re considering a J have the vendo look at it and give you their opinion. I found them to be quite forthright and honest. As I said, Brian steered me to the J as opposed to the I which was more expensive, again, both H&A. Good luck to you. BTW, my ring is set in platinum.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
I have a J pear, set in 18KWG. To me, it looks more yellow than the RBs. According to my jeweller, it''s because of the way pears are cut versus RBs. The hint of yellow on my pear is strongest on the tip but the rest of the stone is pretty OK. Here it is so you can see what I mean.

Nonetheless, I still think it looks good set in white but at the end of the day, it depends on what you''re comfortable with.

PearTip.JPG

tyke

Rough_Rock
Here is my J in platinum.

Tyke

1.33carats.jpg

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I can tell you I had a I color, Ideal cut 3t round. Face up it was white, colorless, but from the side I could see the yellow....alot, even with its MED blue flouresence which is supposed to help mask it, but in certain lights it did not. I also think the larger the stone the more likely you will notice it, however had I set it in a bezel setting, or a mounting with a gallery with diamonds I think it would of been harder to notice.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Color is hugely subjective...I would never describe my J as YELLOW from the side, it''s just a bit warmer than icy white. So it''s important to see stones in person to determine your comfort level with color.

Tyke..did you add your J to the J Stones in Platinum thread? If not, please do!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
You need to see a J color diamond in person to know for sure if you like it. A well-cut J can be mounted in platinum and look very beautiful, but only you can know your preferences in diamond color. Be sure to view the stone in various lighting as well, including outdoors. Even if you intend to purchase online, it would very helpful to look at stones locally to gauge your preferences.

Pictures here are helpful to a point, but they cannot be the sole basis by which you define your preferences. I have a 1.52 J pendant, decent make but not Ideal, that photographs like an F but is a true J in person--in certain lights you can see its warmth; in others, it''s not noticeable. Face up, it sparkles plenty and that''s what people notice, so for me, it was a great bargain for size in a pendant.

Good luck.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I agree with both Jenn and Mara. I was not open to the idea of Js but liked their price points. So when I went to GOG I asked to see one, I did and it looked lovely to me, though I did not get to see it outside. I think FFF and I could both see a warmth but it did not appear yellow to me. If it had been yellow I am sure the price would have been a ton higher. I would also say that cut is vital here, a chain store J is not the same as an H&A J. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results