shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

S

SparkliesLuver

Same here, Chrono. I've already reached out for that. :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, SL, you are definitely going to end up with something beautiful, with all your due diligence and digging :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

haha Thank you, minousbijoux. I surely hope so, but who really knows until it's all said and done. I must admit, I really enjoy digging and learning and finding options. :D

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1414770645|3775454 said:
Preg, he didn't say it was really silky, so I'll go by his word. But I do understand what you're saying.

By the way, I forgot to share: if anyone is interested in seafoam/wintermint tourmaline, let me know. I came across a vendor who has quite a bit of rough, and large pieces to boot! If only it had some blue in there. ;-)

OOOOOOO pretty colors! Too bad I've been busy telling myself I do NOT need a seafoam tourm now that I have the yellow asscher. I don't. Really. I think I believe that right now..

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
OOOOOOO pretty colors! Too bad I've been busy telling myself I do NOT need a seafoam tourm now that I have the yellow asscher. I don't. Really. I think I believe that right now..

Packrat, but those are two totally different colors! [emoji16]

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
mochiko42|1415149018|3777599 said:
packrat said:

Packrat, but those are two totally different colors! [emoji16]

SHHHH! lalalalala I'm not list-en-ing....

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1415105145|3777288 said:
Me either, Chrono.

Starzin: You're right; I have been searching for a blue-green/teal color and his is definitely green with a touch of blue. I haven't seen any teal worth buying/keeping, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with a stone like that (plus I do find it gorgeous). But we'll see. You never know what will happen until a stone is cut and you see it in person. Plus, there are certain situations that I know I'd regret if I didn't explore further. This is one of them. Hope that makes sense.
Too true - you don't know until it's cut and in your hand and I can fully appreciate not letting this opportunity slip by.

Whooof!!! on that latest teal :shock: Fingers crossed.

S

SparkliesLuver

haha Packrat, truth be told, I thought of you when I posted the rough. ;-)

Starzin, I feel like we've had our fingers crossed multiple times now. :lol:

I received a picture last night of the most recent tourmaline in an unpolished setting. Does it look like a zircon to anyone else? I'm not in love with it from this image. Jerry did say it would be an excellent candidate for a re-cut based upon proportions, but the vendor reminded me that they prefer not to re-cut them because the color will change as soon as any of the facet angles change even a little. So that would make me nervous, especially since it's not a cheap stone.

Trying to wait patiently for other updates... :whistle:

ytm834aa.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm....it could do with a minor tweaking but are you willing to risk it?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
That's a nice color, but as you've pointed out, the cut is lacking. Looks like it has shadowing (or what some people here call half-half extinction). I would pass if you are not willing to take a risk. For me, it would depend on the price if I would take a risk.

S

SparkliesLuver

No, not at this point, Chrono. I'd rather wait until everything plays out with the Afghan tourmaline. If that doesn't work, then I'll consider the huge zircon from JD or keep looking.

Preg, that's what I was trying to figure out! Shadowing or half-half extinction. I didn't know if it was necessarily a bow-tie or what. Thank you. It was bugging me. The price is definitely too steep for me ($3k+) to take such a risk.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may look like a Zircon, however, the colour is nice IMHO, and colour is king for CS.

DK :))

S

SparkliesLuver

True, DK, color is king for CS. I too really like the color; however, I asked because I'd be paying the tourmaline price. JD's 15ct zircon is gorgeous and well cut but less expensive. Hope that makes sense.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't consider this the half extinction because the ends are still bright (almost zebra stripped in this case). In the half extinction/shadowing, it looks like the stone is made up of two perfectly matched sides other than one side (50%) is bright and the other side (50%) is dark. It looks like a cut issue, rather than head shadow obstruction.

S

SparkliesLuver

That's good to know, Chrono. Thank you, too. I'll keep this stone on the back burner (providing it doesn't sell), and talk with Jerry further and show him this photo if it reaches that point.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1415193410|3777903 said:
True, DK, color is king for CS. I too really like the color; however, I asked because I'd be paying the tourmaline price. JD's 15ct zircon is gorgeous and well cut but less expensive. Hope that makes sense.

I would go with the zircon then because it has a higher RI. The color of this tourmaline is not exceptional by any means, although it's pretty.

S

SparkliesLuver

You're right, TL, isn't not exceptional but it is pretty. I believe the zircon has made it to the second spot on my list.

Sorry, everyone, for posting all these other options while I'm waiting, but it's hard to not investigate. :oops:

S

SparkliesLuver

Update: only a couple more days and the tourmaline should be complete. :appl: I don't bite my nails, but I feel like I might this weekend. :lol: Absolutely cannot wait!

S

SparkliesLuver

He finished it! He finished it! :appl:

Here it is. :D What do you think?

Afghan tourmaline
5.915 cts
11.1mm

He's shipping it today so hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week. Can't wait to see it!

_23991.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1415624465|3780532 said:
He finished it! He finished it! :appl:

Here it is. :D What do you think?

Afghan tourmaline
5.915 cts
11.1mm

He's shipping it today so hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week. Can't wait to see it!

Congrats Sparklie,
It's lovely, and I hope it's "the one."

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, TL. :) I really hope so too.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous and definitely worth the wait!

DK :love:

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks, DK. I actually feel the same; I let out a huge sigh of relief once I read his email and saw the picture and stats. Now I'm full of excitement and anticipation to have it in hand!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then post the stats already! :naughty:

S

SparkliesLuver

:lol: Sorry, Chrono. I'm at work and still staring at the picture. hehe

Color: 10/10
Clarity: 9/10 (there's a small spot he noticed while polishing that can only be seen with a 10x loupe and hunting around)
Brilliance: 5/5
His total quality rating: 9.7/10
No treatment
He didn't include the depth
*I asked about heat and the depth so I'm sure I'll have an answer today or tomorrow.

Let me know if I missed something.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure the depth will be okay. What is the LxW mm?
Did he say how much blue it has?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay. Hopefully this is the one :appl:
Based on this one photo the stone looks great. It also looks very green while you are looking for blue/green or did you change your specs?
I cannot wait to see your home pics of the gem.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono: I'm sure the depth will be fine, too. I was simply wondering so when I'm thinking about setting options I have an idea. :naughty:

Oh, sorry, that was above - I forgot to write it again. It's 11.1mm, which is amazing. :dance:

He didn't, but I know that his rough is mainly green with a touch of blue. Plus, I'm sure everyone sees different things. I do see a line of blue through it, but the true test will be when my eyes can see it.

Acinom: I hope so too! The stone is primarily green with a touch of blue, you're right. I do see a blue band through the stone and that's good for me, but we'll have to see what I see in person. I've widened my specs a little because more blue-green, like indicolite, is just not to be found right now. Trust me when I say that I've reach out to people far and wide across the globe! And I'm still unsure why Gene opened up to me about his rough but I'm super glad and thankful that he did. I feel very lucky. I actually went and searched on his Twitter feed from when he said he purchased the rough and I believe I found a picture of it. Words cannot do it justice!

tourmalinerough.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the keeper then? If you pass on it, I am sure there will be a queue of CS lovers wanting to snap it up!

If this were mine, I would set it in a Bombé ring setting with two pink Tourmaline trillion sides, with two diamond bands in polished white metal.

Unfortunately, the piggy bank is rather empty until late next year due to projects already lined up, so I shall ogle at yours. :bigsmile:

DK :))

S

SparkliesLuver

I sure hope so, DK! I sure hope so. haha I don't doubt it, and for good reason. ;-)

hehe Thank you for the setting idea! I appreciate it. I've changed my mind a couple times on the setting, so I want to take a lot of time and make sure that what I end up doing I'm 100% sure about/in love with. Plus, to be honest, I don't think my family jeweler will be up for the task, so I'll need to find someone with experience setting tourmaline. Oh, and I'll also need to start saving for a setting since my piggy bank is also rather empty now. haha But, first things first.

ETA: I'm excited to see all your projects come to fruition! Exciting times. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results