Votes: 8 17.4%

Votes: 4 8.7%

Votes: 3 6.5%

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your singing voice, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there was a negative number to choose from I would choose that because my singing voice is so bad. I can play musical instruments but I cannot sing at all. Ofc that doesn't stop me from singing loudly in the car, in the house or any time I feel like it. :bigsmile:
My poor husband lol.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I rate it excellent.

However, that "rating" might be subject--by listeners--to dispute. :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1366930532|3434612 said:
"rating" might be subject--by listeners--to dispute. :bigsmile:

That's why I was careful to word it, "How would you rate your singing voice?"
How others would rate it is another poll. :wink2:

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
"8"
I sing in the car and at home and practice my impersonations of famous people when alone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I learned when taking voice lessons in college...

When we speak or sing the sound does not get to our ears via our outer ear, as it does with every other sound we hear.
It mostly travels from the back of our throat to middle ear via the Eustation Tube.
The outer ear does not get a chance to influence the sound, as it influences every other sound we hear.

That explains the surprise we experience the first time we hear a recording of ourselves speaking or singing.
It's the first time the sound of our voices sound enters via the outer ear, and those structures are allowed to influence the sound of our voices.
It is how others hear us.

Voice teachers must get us to stop focusing our voice so it sounds good in the back of the throat.
We have to learn to focus our voice so it sounds good in front of our heads, a revolutionary and non-intuitive process.

screen_shot_2013-04-25_at_4.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Negative 10. Perfect listening pitch but can't get there with my voice.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
It's interesting- I have really good pitch (I guess that's what it is called). Someone can be playing a song on a guitar and I can start singing just the right pitch. I started violin lessons (Suzuki method, which focuses on memorization) at a young age so that could have something to do with it.

BUT my voice is awful. Really bad. It's like I was given part of a gift...a remote control car without the batteries.

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not even allowed to sing Happy Birthday. I can carry the cake and just mouth the words. :-o I guess this speaks volumes for my lack of vocal talent. LOL

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister got all the artistic genes.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
My voice is good, but not good enough to become a recording artist. I'd say it's an 8.

Three of my aunts have very good voices (better than 90% of pop singers) but my mother is completely tone deaf. Go figure!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
To my ears, I sound silly. However, after spending this year working at preschool where we sing a lot, and I have to be the song leader at times, now I throw caution to the wind and I can belt out Five Little Ducks or Slippery Fish like nobodies business.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I chose 5. It's a'ight. I was in chorus in middle school and got solos and went to some competitions, but I think your voice is like a muscle, and it hasn't been exercised since then! I can carry a tune but I'm positive I don't sound as good as I used to. And even then I wasn't some kind of superstar. :cheeky:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Modified Brilliant|1366931089|3434621 said:
"8"
I sing in the car and at home and practice my impersonations of famous people when alone.
hey I am going to ask you to sing when I see you! :bigsmile:

I am a negative like Missy! lol

I love singing to my boys because they can't complain but I know it will happen soon enough! ;))

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I voted 4, but I may be overestimating myself. I took singing lessons a few years ago and thought I was doing great until I actually played back a recording for DH and myself. However, there are times when I think I can sing a particular song really well, and have been told the same by DH (who happens to be a musician).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I said "5," I have perfect pitch but basically my voice is a mediocre, sounds-good-in-a-choir type. My husband, on the other hand, was the top tenor in his home state or something when he was younger, and he really does have a fantastic singing voice. He always encourages me to sing more often and I am always like "whatever Mr. Singer." Heh. :bigsmile:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'd rate myself an 8. Not good enough to be a recording artist, but good enough to lead worship at church.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1366942828|3434738 said:
I said "5," I have perfect pitch but basically my voice is a mediocre, sounds-good-in-a-choir type. My husband, on the other hand, was the top tenor in his home state or something when he was younger, and he really does have a fantastic singing voice. He always encourages me to sing more often and I am always like "whatever Mr. Singer." Heh. :bigsmile:

I was vascillating between "5" and "6" and decided on 6, but it probably should be a 5.

But... I love singing and I've been singing in choirs for the last 20 years or so, and I think I'm a good choir contributor, and until someone tells me otherwise... I'm going to keep singing in the choir!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think those with perfect pitch are more critical of themselves because they KNOW they are off? I can name you the exact note I hear in less than a second (and even write down an entire song I hear right off the bat), be it from a voice or instrument, including the nuance of the pitch itself (a high C, low C or spot on C).

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Farleysmom|1366934982|3434638 said:
I'm not even allowed to sing Happy Birthday. I can carry the cake and just mouth the words. :-o I guess this speaks volumes for my lack of vocal talent. LOL

lol this is me...I never actually sing it, I just mouth the words as well....i am awful.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I went with a 7, as well. I took many years of classical voice lessons (soprano) and always sing along with songs. I have a weird ability to memorize lyrics of songs with surprising ease, and then I can never forget them, which makes it easy to sing along to almost anything. Blessing or curse, you decide. :cheeky: I can sing harmony, too, and often my sister and I harmonize along with each other or whatever we are listening to. We're no Lennon & Maisy, but our voices blend together well. I have performed in recitals and things and have been complimented on my voice, but I never know if the people giving compliments are actually tone deaf or something. ;-)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One point for perfect pitch - helps w/ the instruments!
One point for being able to keep a beat
One point for not sounding like a frog croaking

When I was young we had "family recitals" in which all the kids would have to sing/dance/play an instrument for everyone else. I can't imagine why anyone would want to subject themselves to that cacophony but... result: I never sing or play in public anymore :rodent:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sing on pitch although I don't have perfect pitch - without a reference note I usually sing about a third low. I can keep the beat and I'm a reasonably good sight-singer. If I were rating myself as a chorister I'd probably rate myself higher.

The question is how do you rate your singing voice and in rating myself, I was distinguishing between my singing voice and my overall ability to sing. I don't think my voice quality is particularly good. I don't sing solo unless I'm forced to - I will, for example, get things started when we need to sing "happy birthday" at work, if only so we all start on the same pitch and at the same pace. (Where we end is of course a whole different matter! :lol: ) But I love to sing,and I'll happily contribute to most any chorus or choir!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last time I sang in a church, 300 people changed their religion.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1367001784|3435099 said:

::SNORT::

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1367001784|3435099 said:
Hahaha!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1366931677|3434623 said:
One thing I learned when taking voice lessons in college...

When we speak or sing the sound does not get to our ears via our outer ear, as it does with every other sound we hear.
It mostly travels from the back of our throat to middle ear via the Eustation Tube.
The outer ear does not get a chance to influence the sound, as it influences every other sound we hear.

That explains the surprise we experience the first time we hear a recording of ourselves speaking or singing.
It's the first time the sound of our voices sound enters via the outer ear, and those structures are allowed to influence the sound of our voices.
It is how others hear us.

Voice teachers must get us to stop focusing our voice so it sounds good in the back of the throat.
We have to learn to focus our voice so it sounds good in front of our heads, a revolutionary and non-intuitive process.

STOP LISTENING!!! I'LL tell you when it sounds good!! Sing on FEEL - when I tell you it sounds right, how does it FEEL?? Memorize that feeling!

Sound familiar Kenny? ;))

I'd rate about an 8 or mabe a 9- ?. Or probably was before I let my voice go to seed - and impending menopause does NOTHING for a woman's voice I can tell ya. I can feel the ossification of the bones and ligaments in my throat - it's VERY different from just being rusty - you CAN'T work it back up - it's like hitting some sort of stone wall. I've totally lost my high D, and I suspect the C is not far behind. But still, I have/had a solo quality lyric soprano voice without the "industrial coating" necessary for a career in it, and more important, without the real desire to do a lot of solo performance. I've always preferred group stuff because you can do harmonies that way. Much more fun.

I have excellent relative pitch, can sing acapella alone and in groups, and a can naturally harmonize with just about anything I hear, and I've had enough strokes from voice teachers, instrumentalists, and other trained singers, to worry that maybe I'm only imagining things.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I remember that. :oops:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results