shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you grade this Dendritic Agate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there dendritic agate seems to be very inexpensive stones. I am very much attracted to the fern-like patterns. I was wondering how do you grade a dendritic agate? translucency? origin? Some of them are from Indonesia and Brazil, what are the differences? Though they are affordable quartz, i have came across synthetic ones as well, just wanna share:) This piece is from Indonesia and is translucent, is it hard to come by? or rather common? tks

DSC02231.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That “picture” is common so it will be inexpensive. The expensive ones have very complex pictures of complete scenery much like a painting and some like the ones that show the letters of the alphabet.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chictomato,

Chrono is on the right track here, its all about the composition. The factors are those borrowed from the fine arts. The positioning of the image, the balance of the composition, the beauty of the composition.

Generally speaking, transparency or what I call "crystal" is a grading criteria in agate particularly in stones like chrysocolla (gem silica) but that would mean the color is also important and in your example it is less so. I would certainly pay more for a pure white than a yellowish white unless the juxtapostion of background and color of the composition worked better.

Beauty, as always, is the defining criterion.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you Richard and Chrono!
21.gif

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Ok, just had to chime in with mine....I too love the lacey/fernesque patterns. I have a pendant as well as this ring, they are very large dendritic quartz. I can post the pendant if you''d like upon request

original.aspx

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/26/2009 9:21:38 PM
Author: rparker1998
Ok, just had to chime in with mine....I too love the lacey/fernesque patterns. I have a pendant as well as this ring, they are very large dendritic quartz. I can post the pendant if you''d like upon request

original.aspx

That is pretty! Pls do post your pendant too! May I know if they are set in silver or wg? did you get the setting custom-made? tks

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful examples.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results