shape
carat
color
clarity

How to tell cut of GIA certified stones prior to new improved version??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sunshines

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I am considering a 1.7ct DVS2 stone certified by GIA dated July 2005 which is under the old format report. some salient specs are ;

Depth 60.6
Table 58%
Girdle thin to med
culet none
Flor none
Po and sym both EX

The stone has quite distinctiveH&A pattern and has good brillance.

Can I conclude that this stone should have an Ideal cut? the jeweller here in Asia do not know what is a Sarin report and hence none is available. Also will there be a price diff for stones bet 53 to 57% table and one that is 58% given all else equal? I mean can table 58% stone still be considered an Ideal cut stone?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2006 10:42:58 AM
Author:Sunshines

I mean can table 58% stone still be considered an Ideal cut stone?

Why not? There can be H&As and AGS0s and GIA ''Excellent'' cuts with this ''number''... Perhaps these systems do not agree about some things, but this one... is ''in''.

Without Sarin and what not, you could still make use of Ideal Scope or ASET to compare your find with the properly labeled ideals.
1.gif

My 2c

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If requested, I'm pretty sure that GIA will issue a new report to replace one prepared in July 2005 without the need to re-examine the stone. I think there is a nominal charge for this but it varies with the date of the original report. I'm sure they will be happy to discuss it with you. If you're in the US, you can reach them at 1-800-421-7250 or look up the rules on their website at www.gia.edu.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Sunshines

Rough_Rock
Thanks Val, Belle and Neil for your great assistance. Belle, the link you gave is wonderful, I managed to confirm on the cut which turns out to be excellent! Now I can focus on talking about the price with the jeweller. Keep in touch and good night.

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 10:51:58 AM
Author: belle
you can go to http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/ and enter the report # and diamond weight to get the cut grade...

for what it''s worth.
37.gif

belle,

This doesn''t work on my pre July 2005 GIA stone, maybe it has to be a post July 05?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 12:28:09 PM
Author: Diamonds are Hot!

you can go to http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/ and enter the report # and diamond weight to get the cut grade...

for what it''s worth.
37.gif

belle,

This doesn''t work on my pre July 2005 GIA stone, maybe it has to be a post July 05?
yes it does. as neil stated above, you can send the stone back for regrading if you like. there may be a fee associated with doing this. you can find out the guidelines by checking the gia website or calling them directly.

glad you found the information you were looking for sunshines. best of luck with your purchase!

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 1:16:48 PM
Date: 4/18/2006 12:28:09 PM

for what it''s worth.
37.gif

belle,

yes it does. as neil stated above, you can send the stone back for regrading if you like. there may be a fee associated with doing this. you can find out the guidelines by checking the gia website or calling them directly.

glad you found the information you were looking for sunshines. best of luck with your purchase!

Well I don''t know what I am missing because I did this and it just found my report with the same information I had and nothing about cut, is this only for RBs?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 2:55:35 PM

Well I don''t know what I am missing because I did this and it just found my report with the same information I had and nothing about cut, is this only for RBs?
yes, the ''cut grade'' is for rb''s.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results