shape
carat
color
clarity

How to set this shape?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I bought this beautiful rhodolite garnet from Gary Braun last month.
IMG_0082GBRhodie.jpg
IMG_0083GBRhodie.jpg

It''s stunning in real life. A little dark, but thats garnets and it throws out gorgeous flashes of shocking raspberry red. The cutting is, of course, superb and Gary was a pleasure to deal with.

Anywho, I''m looking to set it. I was thinking of something simple like this band from LOGR (lil wider maybe).
126adiamondbandLOGR.jpg

Problem is, with the shape of the stone, where would the prongs go? I guess I''d have to go for split prongs? I don''t have a huge choice of jewelers nearby, only one really, and prices are so sky high here in Ireland that I''d prefer LOGR if possible.

Any ideas?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm well I guess something made for a square cushion with prongs. And maybe a jeweler could work with the prongs a bit to make it work if your worried.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Im not sure about the setting...I would also think double prong.

As for the stone...I am LOVIN the color. Any RL shots?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How about something sort of like this?
http://www.uniquesettings.com/product/view/2469

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a Zircon from Gene in a similar cut except more elongated. I put it in a setting for an emerald cut and the prongs go over the straight bits between 1 and 2 o''clock, 11 and 10 o''clock. You would probably be safer with a setting for a cushion cut I think.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''d suggest giving the corners a bit more protection. The attached picture shows a stock commercial chevron head which I beaded in order to make a very petite set of three beads holding the stone in place. It looked a little like a vintage fishtail setting from the top. The beauty of using these stock commercial pieces and modifying them is that you can use any band that you''d like and tailor the cost to whatever makes sense for you, (meaning thin or wide, diamonds...or not). If your local bench jewelers can get these kind of parts in Ireland, they can make some very nice stuff at very competitive prices.

Fishtail Chevron.jpg

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
thanks Innerkitten, that''s what I was thinking too. Hopefully a jeweler could move or reset the prongs, that''s what I don''t know. I guess I could always e-mail LOGR and ask them. That setting is nice but I was thinking as simple as possible, just a plain band with prongs.

LovingDiamonds - ah, that''s a good idea. I presume it would be secure that way? I just looked back at your pics. I think that could work. I will e-mail LOGR. Thanks!

Rockhugger - RL pics is a tall order! haha. The only operational camera I own is my iPhone. I am entirely hopeless as taking pictures of sparklies. These don''t do it any justice at all, but I gave it a shot (pun intended
2.gif
) here ya go:

An idea of the raspberry red flashes. Much darker than what I see but closest to real life out of the three pics :
IMG_0141RLGB.jpg

It actually shifts colour quite a bit in fluorescent lighting:
IMG_0143RLGB.jpg

Good idea of shape, crap representation of colour:
IMG_0144RLGB.jpg

Ugh, totally inaccurate pics. I can''t promise to ever get good at taking photos, but some day I will get a friend who is to do it for me!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, Michael, that''s perfect, spot on, exactomondo what I want. Bingo. Search over folks!

I don''t know if my local jeweler would be able to do that if I''m honest, but it can''t hurt to ask. Keep an eye on your inbox
2.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool cut.
21.gif

And I like it much better in the setting you picked than in the LOGR setting. Good luck finding a setting and jeweler near you!

TFS!!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Stonehunter! Watch this space...
2.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s a very nice stone, looking forward to see what you do with it!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''m hesitant to buy more unusual shapes just because I know they''d be hard to find a setting for. I still really like the unique shapes though. Good luck with finding a setting. The garnet is beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2010 8:05:11 AM
Author: oddoneout
I''m hesitant to buy more unusual shapes just because I know they''d be hard to find a setting for. I still really like the unique shapes though. Good luck with finding a setting. The garnet is beautiful.
Same here; I’d hate to go custom for an inexpensive stone but they are surely nice to look at. I’d probably go with a cushion setting that has double prongs. This way, it’s protect the corners a little better.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2010 8:28:15 AM
Author: Chrono

Date: 2/25/2010 8:05:11 AM
Author: oddoneout
Same here; I’d hate to go custom for an inexpensive stone but they are surely nice to look at. I’d probably go with a cushion setting that has double prongs. This way, it’s protect the corners a little better.
So...where do you draw a line between expensive and inexpensive?

And the stone is beautiful! I was watching it on Gary''s website but I bought a garnet and it is still lying in my box unset. Which bothers me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2010 11:35:43 AM
Author: crasru

Date: 2/25/2010 8:28:15 AM
Author: Chrono

So...where do you draw a line between expensive and inexpensive?

And the stone is beautiful! I was watching it on Gary''s website but I bought a garnet and it is still lying in my box unset. Which bothers me.
That is a personal determination for every individual.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Porridge,
I think it should be set in something skin-toned, featuring 5 finger-like prongs with reinforced tips. Something that is somewhat larger than the stone. Something like....oh...I don''t know...my hand. I think it would look quite nice there. Difficult to wear around town though...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 7:13:45 PM
Author: Porridge
Thanks Stonehunter! Watch this space...
2.gif
Watching....hoping you''ll find that setting at a good price...
21.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could a setting made for a princess diamond be sued? Or, if it was a stock setting, could you have a custom hed made? That would keep the cost down.

I''d love to see it in a bezel.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results