shape
carat
color
clarity

how to get stones set -cdn insurance question??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moreismore

Rough_Rock
I have my stones, I have my ring. I do not have insurance! Our insurance company (The Personal here in Toronto) has refused to insure the loose stones, even for 3 days while they are set. I have called brokers and have been told that no insurance sompanies they deal with, including Chubb, will insure loose stones.

What do I do??? As you can imagine, I am frustrated and anxious to finish my ring.

Thanks!

Fletch

Rough_Rock
I had Chubb insure my loose stone in New York city for a week before having it set. They agreed to insure it after I explained that the diamond would be in a safe location and it would only temporarily be loose.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve got exactly the same problem. Get the stone Monday, the setting is being made as we speak, and I can''t get any policy to cover the loose stone while it''s being set. The jeweller making the setting won''t take responsibility for it, and neither will the setter. We''ve been told we''ll just have to trust the setter and that things will 99% be ok. Scary thought.
We''re planning to get our stone appraised, take it to the jeweller, have him check it out, and possibly even show it to the setter to see if they feel comfortable doing the job. If there''s any hesitation, we''re going to send the stone and the setting back to where we got the diamond to have it set, because at least there they''ll assume responsibility for their stone.
Canada really sucks when it comes to insurance! Let me know if you find a solution!
Drk

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Suggest you contact Chubb Office Directly

Here is their email [email protected]

In the US Chubb will sell coverage direct. I don''t know if they will do this in Canada.

Most of the agents aren''t really up to date with their programs....

Here they will cover the stone for a limited time until it is set. You have to of course "promise" that it will be set in a short period of time.

It is very advisable to have your stone looked at before and after it is set... to make sure no damage was pre-existing or "popped up" afterwards.

It is also a good decision to have it Gemprinted.... Gemprint''s International Headquarters are in Toronto.

Hope this helps... let us all know how you made out.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results