shape
carat
color
clarity

How to find models without being creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
So...I need models. As in, someone to sit/stand/leap for me to take pictures of. And I can''t find a SINGLE person to do it!

I had a couple of friends that were going to, and every single one of them flaked out on me at the last second. So needless to say, I stopped asking people I already knew, since they weren''t being serious about it. I sent a couple emails on myspace asking girls in my area that looked like they would be fun and obviously I came off as weird because not a single one responded. I can''t afford to pay somebody right now (or I could, but I''d only get an hour - those ladies are expensive and I don''t know what I am doing well enough), so I am out of ideas. Where else could I look?

One of you ladies want to be my model for a day?
31.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
There is a website called model mayhem that one of my makeup artist friends uses for connections. Maybe you could find someone on there?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried posting a bulletin on MySpace? And asking your friends to repost? I would imagine that would get more people than just messaging random people.

You could also put a post on Craigslist and offer to give them a CD of the images as payment. That way, if some models are trying to build their portfolio, and you''re trying to build yours, it could be a barter type thing.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before I answer the question,
what is the first rule of photographing models?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
craigslist.

have them come to you instead of you come to them. less creepy.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I would also point out that you are a woman (you are, right?). That way they won''t feel as threatened/creeped out. And maybe suggest a public place for your first shoot in the post? And mention that they are welcome to bring a friend/boyfriend/whatever.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 12:26:26 AM
Author: thing2of2
Oh, and I would also point out that you are a woman (you are, right?). That way they won''t feel as threatened/creeped out. And maybe suggest a public place for your first shoot in the post? And mention that they are welcome to bring a friend/boyfriend/whatever.
That is the second rule, they bring someone along.
The first rule is.......

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 12:31:08 AM
Author: strmrdr

That is the second rule, they bring someone along.

The first rule is.......

Don''t talk about Fight Club?
3.gif

I''m on the edge of my seat-what is it?!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 12:48:21 AM

I'm on the edge of my seat-what is it?!
lol
I was waiting for MonkeyPie to answer, the first rule is always bring someone along and preferable the same sex as the model.
There should be a min of 4 people.
Model and who they bring, photographer and who they bring.
A pro will video record everything that way there are no questions.
The first thing you then do is get your model release signed and take a picture of everyone's photo id including your own for proof of age.
Then you get your contract signed outlining the parameters of the shoot and the licensing of the images.
In general the model gets a all rights except for commercial sale release for the photos when doing a tfcd session. The release needs to be on the cd in text format.

Someone that doesn't know this stuff needs to do some homework before shooting models.
There are several good forums on the internet for this.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
Please do NOT use craigslist...
1. you will not find a good model (what good model is going to look on craigslist?)
2. there are so many scams dealing with modeling on craigslist that no one will take you serious ( I get emails all the time telling me about scams on there.. i prob got one about a week ago)

I would definitely recommend modelmayhem or paidmodels. Obviously you would need to post pictures for them to see u are serious and that you have shot before??

You didnt really say what u needed the pics for? Are you trying to get into photography or is this for a class or something??

I honestly do NOT think you need to bring anyone along. I dont think it matters if the person is of the same sex or not.. that doesnt mean ANYTHING... i mean come on...
2nd.. you can allow the model to bring someone.. but tell them you''d prefer if it wasnt a SO because they usually get in the way (personal experience...but he did kinda help??) and some SOs are crazy and might interfere wth the shoot..

You should probably put TFCD or TFP, most models will understand that :)

OH and whats expensive to you?? Im sure you could find a decent amateur model for a pretty decent price...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP....I''ll model for you when I lose some weight. Unless you just want to take headshots....

I might be able to gather some friends for you as well. What/who exactly are you looking to shoot?

lovegem

Shiny_Rock

Sorry, I will not trust anyone unless I can bring the police with me.
25.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
College theatre department
Just slap up some signs on the message board

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
You can try searching on onemodelplace.com-Lots of girls on there who are not professional & will do it cheap to free. You would never want to bring someone to a photoshoot for a well known agency or at least someone you know is legit but for someone who does photography on side who you arent sure about-absolutely bring some along.

Also, I''ve found a few legit ads on Craigs for hair models, convention models etc.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I have to second the suggestion of using Model Mayhem. I have a photographer friend who signed up over there and he's met up with a lot of local models willing to do TFCD work.

Good luck! I'd love to see more of your images if you feel like sharing.
1.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I was gone for work today and come back to lots of help. Thanks ladies!

modelmayhem is a great idea, except that most of the ladies in my area (of which there aren''t many) don''t want to do TFCD. The couple I HAVE found, would prefer someone who knows what they are doing. Well, I have some talent I guess, but I don''t have ANY portraits I have taken in the past to offer as examples. This is my biggest hurdle - I just need one person to work with to build a base of examples I can show off to get the models that are willing.

I have contacted a lot of people, and I told all of them to bring someone along and we could meet in a public place. Not a single one answered back. (Be it Myspace, craigslist, etc.) I''m not even getting as far as the model release, strm, or I''d be happy to. I already have one printed out and ready, if I could just get a chance.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s hard. If you were in my area I''d leap about for you. Will none of your friends just give you a bit of time? Siblings? Parents? Siblings-in-law? Getting the first couple of people has to be tough.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
So, you have posted ads on Craigs & Myspace & no one has replied or you contacted others through their ads? If you have posted ads do you mind posting here what you put in yours?

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Love to model for you...but I''m sooooo far away.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I wish I could get all of you ladies willing to model down here! :) I''d have a field day!

And I don''t have my postings anymore, but it was kind of like this: "Hi! I found your page browsing through myspace, and was wondering if you would like to model for me. I have my photography up on my myspace if you want to take a look and make sure I''m not a crazy person (I knew exactly how they would take a random message), and I am looking for a model, blahblahblah.."

I wish I''d saved it now, but I did my absolute best to make sure I didn''t sound like spam or a freak. :/ I guess I failed, out of the 20-30 girls I messaged, they all read it but didn''t reply.

And Freke! I''d love to! :) Let''s plan.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
You live like a million miles from MI, right? Otherwise I''d totally do it!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 7:15:50 PM
Author: geckodani
You live like a million miles from MI, right? Otherwise I''d totally do it!

LOL just about a million. I always live so far from everybody - I was amazed Freke and Skippy were nearby. I am usually the only New Mexico person.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
If I was in your area I would totally model, something I started to get into as a teenager, never went anywhere. S. Cal and NM are not that close :(. Good luck with getting some cool photos.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 8:20:27 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
If I was in your area I would totally model, something I started to get into as a teenager, never went anywhere. S. Cal and NM are not that close :(. Good luck with getting some cool photos.

Crap! I need to hit the lottery and come visit you all. I''d have so many cool pictures then! Lol.

I went ahead and made an account on ModelMayhem, just waiting for it to confirm. I had to scrounge for images I could use as my starter portfolio, and only found four. And two are of myself, though I guess that''s ok. Maybe I will have to take more of myself to start building a bigger portfolio.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Well, goodluck.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
where are you? i would help out if i could.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 9:08:05 PM
Author: radiantquest
where are you? i would help out if i could.

New Mexico. Which, I am discovering, is my downfall. Dang it!
20.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
well that''s not too far from Dallas! lol

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
im in PA, sorry
8.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 9:12:50 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
well that''s not too far from Dallas! lol

Hm...maybe I need to plan a vacation! Lol!

And radiant, it''s ok :) Thanks, though. I wish I could just travel all over and takes pictures of all you ladies. Now THAT would be a fun job!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results