shape
carat
color
clarity

How to explain this (diamond related)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
A close friend of mine is engaged and her FI walked into Jared''s and dropped $12,000 (not including tax and the extended care "warranty") on a 1.20 G, SI2, platinum setting- 2 sidestones-(IGI lab). We finally met up and her ring is gorgeous however, she noticed right away that her 1.20 round is the same size (literally) as my 1.06 princess. Her round looks more like a just over 1 carat
7.gif
, and even if she hadn''t compared her e-ring to mine, it''s noticeable that her 1.20 is the size of a 1ish carat.

She wanted to know why and I could have gone into a lengthy explaination (thank you years of pricescope membership) but that would have 1) hurt her feelings and then 2) it would have taken away from her moment. I told her that her ring is gorgeous, sparkly and to love it! It''s way way beyond Jared''s 30 day return so she is stuck with the diamond regardless.

Anyway, I know it''ll be brought up again because she knows that I know atleast a few things about diamonds (and told her several times to send her FI to me) but I really don''t want to hurt her feelings or "take away" from her engagement ring. What would you say?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, you mentioned that there were sidestones. Is the 1.20 the total carat weight for all the diamonds all just the centrestone?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmmmmmmm. Well, I think you took the right tack by sticking to complimenting her stone, and for exactly the right reasons. If she asks again, I''d plead ignorance and direct her to Pricescope herself ... hopefully, that way she won''t take it as a personal criticism, but simply as objective information.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2007 4:45:59 PM
Author: Circe
Hmmmmmmm. Well, I think you took the right tack by sticking to complimenting her stone, and for exactly the right reasons. If she asks again, I''d plead ignorance and direct her to Pricescope herself ... hopefully, that way she won''t take it as a personal criticism, but simply as objective information.
I totally agree with Circe. As tempted as I am sure you were to give her a detailed answer to her question I have to admire you for sticking to compliments since it is too late to return the stone, anyway. If she persists in the future you could give her more details but I think you should be very proud of yourself for the way you handled it. You are a very thoughtful, kind friend.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb., I think you did just fine expressing to her that her ring is gorgeous and glossing over the visual size difference. If she presses you further, I think you should encourage her to talk to her FI and let the cards fall where they may. Imo, it''s not your problem...

I have a friend who got engaged shortly after I was married...she had always admired my e-ring (1.5 RB, J/SI1), and she and her now-husband went to Jared''s and ended up spending $4k on a three-stone diamond ring that looks to be maybe .50ctw...she and I have never shared stats but she (in a tipsy moment) told me once she couldn''t believe her ring cost that much. I didn''t say a word except to compliment her ring, knowing she could''ve gotten something totally different and more to her liking had they shopped around. No need in telling someone you care about that in your opinion they could''ve done better, even if they''re hinting around that they aren''t really all that happy with their ring. Unless, of course, they flat out ask. Which my friend didn''t, and it sounds like your friend isn''t technically asking you either.

It''s somewhat of a sticky situation you''re in, for sure, but hopefully she''ll end up happy with her ring in the end or specifically asking you what you think she should have/should do, in which case (if she''s open-minded and won''t get ticked) you could direct her to PS or to a well-reputed indie jeweler who will help her upgrade and get her what she wants without royally s*rewing her and her fI. Good luck!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Feb, just wanted to chime in with the others and agree that I think it was very tactful and considerate to stick to the positives about your friend''s ring. Since you do know so much about diamonds, your affirmation probably did make her feel a lot better about her ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results