shape
carat
color
clarity

how to clean oxidized pieces

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
How do you all clean pieces without damaging the oxidation?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't help with the answer but maybe also ask in the antique/vintage thread.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I can't help with the answer but maybe also ask in the antique/vintage thread.

Ok thank you! Hoping some of the folks with some of the oxidized pieces will chime in!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
No special care needed for oxidised sliver pieces, dishwashing soap or jewellery cleaner is fine. Not sure about black rhodium as I don't have any. But the silver is great because you can even de-oxidise for fun and then re-oxidise it to your preferred depth of colour with egg white.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
No special care needed for oxidised sliver pieces, dishwashing soap or jewellery cleaner is fine. Not sure about black rhodium as I don't have any. But the silver is great because you can even de-oxidise for fun and then re-oxidise it to your preferred depth of colour with egg white.

Thank you for your advice! I bought a band that is a mix of gold and oxidized silver and I have never bought oxidized before. So it would be okay to wash hands with the ring on and okay to clean it with a mix of dawn dishwashing soap and water?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your advice! I bought a band that is a mix of gold and oxidized silver and I have never bought oxidized before. So it would be okay to wash hands with the ring on and okay to clean it with a mix of dawn dishwashing soap and water?

Yes, absolutely! No special care needed. Enjoy!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it antique or modern? If modern, the oxidation is done intentionally with liver of sulfur. In the crevices of the design it is permanent. So just wear it without worry.
We would love to see your ring!

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Is it antique or modern? If modern, the oxidation is done intentionally with liver of sulfur. In the crevices of the design it is permanent. So just wear it without worry.
We would love to see your ring!

It's modern, I do have some vintage/antique bands but none of them have oxidation, just some expected patina, thanks for your advice!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you all clean pieces without damaging the oxidation?

I haven’t played around with water/soap on my oxidized silver collet ring
I should.

I was told by the vendor not to wash my hands with it on, at all, to preserve the current look. So - don’t get it wet at all was the instructions given.
Redoing the oxidation at whatever intervals you need to maintain a certain look, is an expected thing - I think.

Count me in as another who wants to see your ring!

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the difference between oxidation, tarnish, and patina?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the difference between oxidation, tarnish, and patina?

Patina is that green or brown discoloration seen on some metals like copper. Think the green color on the Statue of Liberty.
It's when that old brass or copper vase stops looking "gold" and turns brown with green in the crevices.
Patina is sometimes used to describe antiques, when referencing a really old color on the surface. Perhaps the dark color of the wood with wear marks on a antique chair, which comes from great age.
Patina can also refer the the well worn or rubbed condition of an antique, like in antique gold jewelry.

Oxidation (or tarnish)is the dark color that metals can get from being exposed to air for a really long time. Silver turns grey or black. 9 or 10 carat gold can get brownish, but will polish up in a heartbeat.

People often use these terms interchangibly, so there can be some confusion.

Last edited:

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t played around with water/soap on my oxidized silver collet ring
I should.

I was told by the vendor not to wash my hands with it on, at all, to preserve the current look. So - don’t get it wet at all was the instructions given.
Redoing the oxidation at whatever intervals you need to maintain a certain look, is an expected thing - I think.

Count me in as another who wants to see your ring!

This is what I was told as well, going to be really hard for me as I am obsessive about hand washing and cleaning. I really am not going to wear this thing much if it’s got to be removed for hand washing. Something I did not consider before purchasing but just really didn’t know I needed to I guess

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Patina is that green or brown discoloration seen on some metals like copper. Think the green color on the Statue of Liberty.
It's when that old brass or copper vase stops looking "gold" and turns brown with green in the crevices.
Patina is sometimes used to describe antiques, when referencing a really old color on the surface. Perhaps the dark color of the wood with wear marks on a antique chair, which comes from great age.
Patina can also refer the the well worn or rubbed condition of an antique, like in antique gold jewelry.

Oxidation (or tarnish)is the dark color that metals can get from being exposed to air for a really long time. Silver turns grey or black. 9 or 10 carat gold can get brownish, but will polish up in a heartbeat.

People often use these terms interchangibly, so there can be some confusion.

This is what I was thinking patina was, I’ve got a vintage rose gold band that has a purplish area on it

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an informative article in reference to your gold band with the purplish color, which I think would be tarnish.

Last edited:

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Here's an informative article in reference to your gold band with the purplish color, which I think would be tarnish.

Thank you, maybe it is tarnish then, I bought it as a new old stock band and it was in perfect condition other than a small area with the purplish color change. Not enough to really do anything about so I didn't really think about it further.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread, although informitive is all talk talk talk
we need pictures people !

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
This thread, although informitive is all talk talk talk
we need pictures people !

you are too funny! Unfortunately I am not good at taking pics and my dry hands from handwashing in hospital are nothing anyone wants to see. They would be scared off from answering my question

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are too funny! Unfortunately I am not good at taking pics and my dry hands from handwashing in hospital are nothing anyone wants to see. They would be scared off from answering my question

You are being way to hard on yourself
Everyone's hands are dry and lizzard like in this pandemic :lol-2: :(2
And i think i take the crown for taking the worst pictures on the internet :boohoo:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizard like is a great way to describe mine right now for sure

Do you find with all the sanatizing when you wash your hands is all slime

i work in a pie/ sandwich/ doughnut shop
so we sanatize religiously between each actual cash sale because money is filthy and we did this long before covid 19

Sometimes i just cant stand it and make the customers wait while i go use soap and hot water out the back
No one has ever complained about having to wait while i wash my hands

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
We sanitize in and out of every room, I also use soap and water each time though I am just fixated on it. So my hands stay really dry and I also have Raynaud's changes of the hands because of medicine I have to take. So that is the reason for the purple blue color to my hand in the avatar pic.

I also stress about handling money as I agree that it is pretty dirty. The gas pump always gets me too. One thing about covid is that maybe people don't look at me so funny when I use plastic gloves when handling the gas pump. But maybe they do still look at me as weird, who knows!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
If you mean oxidized as in black rhodium I am curious. I have a CVB band with black rhodium….well, it *used* to have black rhodium. Wore it a few times and it is completely gone. I like it just as well without it so I’m not going to send it back to have it reapplied, but it was truly bizarre. I clean my pieces with Lavish and in an ultrasonic with blue Dawn.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
If you mean oxidized as in black rhodium I am curious. I have a CVB band with black rhodium….well, it *used* to have black rhodium. Wore it a few times and it is completely gone. I like it just as well without it so I’m not going to send it back to have it reapplied, but it was truly bizarre. I clean my pieces with Lavish and in an ultrasonic with blue Dawn.

I am looking for how to clean oxidized silver but wow that it changed after only wearing a few times.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results