How to celebrate T-Day safely

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent! Thanks for sharing kenny.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad the doctor didn't even mention just skipping the year-end holidays. :clap:

2020 has been depressing enough, and I know how important holiday gatherings with family are for zillions, I'd guess the majority.

Of course, doing it OUTSIDE in freezing weather, bundled up in your warmest gear, around a wood-fire pit, six feet away from grandmama and Uncle Chucky, is not the Rockwellian ideal ... but I think years later its uniqueness will be remembered with a certain nostalgia and affection.

NR.png

Last edited:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We live outside of Atlanta, so hoping for temps above 40 (50 would be nice, as neither of my kids own coats! ). If that happens, we will get together with my parents, sister/her family on our screened porch. I’ve been testing electric patio heaters (not willing to use propane in a semi enclosed space), but haven’t found any decent ones yet. I’m struggling between “missing one more holiday with family is worth it if it keeps my parents (who are immune compromised) safe” and “we haven’t had a family meal since March....if something happens to one of my parents and we haven’t been able to see them in 7 mos, I’m going to be devastated”....I don’t know which way to lean. We have decided to play it by ear and see what the weather looks like. Each family has a list of foods to prepare and we will either eat them together on the porch or distribute packages to each family unit. So sad!

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
Particularly if you are in a region where cases are surging, extreme caution is warranted. Nobody wants to think about their family or friends as being a threat, but unfortunately that is the case right now in many parts of the US. We cancelled our family Thanksgiving, so I will be all alone for the big day. I am very sad, but it's the right thing to do.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm just not having T-day except for my husband and I. I've missed my grown kids a lot this year but hopefully in a few months this will finally be over and we'll make it up then.

It could be infinitely worse for them as well if they did come over and one of us contracted Covid-19 from them. It's likely much worse for us older folks, and then they'd have to live with that.

I keep telling myself "Suck it up, buttercup!"

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, we’re doing just hubby and myself. No kids, no parents. My mom is 83 and having shoulder replacement on the Tuesday before (11/24) so she will get hospital food (haha) but before that I’m pretty much isolating cuz I’m bringing her to the hospital and don’t want to be exposed and potentially expose her. She has already called Xmas off, so no worries there. Cases are doubling around here, so I’m happy to stay inside and away from people. Though I do miss our kids and my mom... we do talk often.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me and my kiddo, that’s it this year. Not risking giving my elderly parents a virus that 100% would kill them! Also holidays are stressful because my mother insists on taking on everything, won’t accept help, and then makes terrible faces all day. Lol soooo sorry to miss that.

Hope everyone else is responsible and doesn’t miss fam too much. We will get through this, apart!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just the two of us and we are ordering Ted Montanas for Thanksgiving. We did it about 5 years ago and it was delicious !

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... my mother insists on taking on everything, won’t accept help, and then makes terrible faces all day. ...

Thats one of the best examples of passive aggressive behavior I've ever seen described.
You might wanna tell mom, it's never too late for a good psychotherapist. :dance:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^haha my mom too, with the shoulder-lifting “sigh” :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If my mum had been a mom she would have too !

Looking in from afar Thanksgiving is the most delightful thing i wish your country had given the world (perhaps instead of coke and MacDonalds)

I am sad for you all on so many levels

I cannot comprehend the weather some parts of your country experience in the winter but i love the idea of eatting outside
and
i don't think the pilgrims had insulated houses

Just do what ever you can to keep your loved ones safe, just because this Thanks giving is going to be different doesn't mean it won't still be enjoyable
Take care

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results