shape
carat
color
clarity

How stringent is AGS color grading

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Defender

Shiny_Rock
I am looking at an emerald with an AGS cert which is designated a J color. I know that this is a borderline color, so I am curious if AGS is pretty accurate and conservative in the color grading.

I also note that the AGS certificate states excellent polish and symmetry. How do these polish and symmetry grades compare to GIA ratings?

StonesThrow

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 6:19:30 PM
Author:Defender
I am looking at an emerald with an AGS cert which is designated a J color. I know that this is a borderline color, so I am curious if AGS is pretty accurate and conservative in the color grading.
There's lots of opinions and little factoids spread throughout threads here...try searching 'ags color grading' or similar.

Or, if you appreciate hard data and stats (like I do), try this link to a study posted here on PS comparing EGL, GIA, and AGS...good reading: Lab Comparison

34.gif

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
hi there...hey, try a pscope search of something like.....''gia versus ags grading''.....see what happens.

i''m waiting for a gia ''j'' colored stone to be shipped to my home for inspection! i''ll be posting about it (i too am curious about the J color) after it arrives. should be sat or mon...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
My informal, VERY layperson experience has been that AGS seems to grade strict. I have an AGS-0 2.36 J stone that the independent appraiser said would be an I (or higher) by any other lab. He said that in his opinion, there was no way it was a "J". My first stone was an AGS-0 G, and a different appraiser told me he would grade it an "F".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results