shape
carat
color
clarity

how small can rubies be in a scattered gypsy-set 1.5mm band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Hi people,

I am trying to create (mentally) a 2-way ring guard for a three stone ring. I want a very thin wring guard that is actually connected at the bottom to the center ring. My question is this:

How small can a faceted ruby, spinel, and diamond be? And...how small can said ring be if said stones are gypsy set into it?

I have seen 3mm bands but I''d really like something around 1.5mm with micro-faceted rubies and diamonds scattered all over it randomly

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Here is a tiffany band that is a LITTLE bit like what I'm talking about but I want the stones to be smaller:

tiffanygypsy.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''re planning on going the custom route, you really do have to think about not only the cost of materials but cost of labor.

Setting those types of small stones can be very labor intensive and can up the price of your piece beyond what you may have anticipated.

For rubies that small I''d have to wonder not only about feasibility for setting purposes visually as well.

I tend to draw out my ideas so its not just mental masterbation. ( I''m a fan of post it notes
9.gif
) For me that allows me to see how feasible the idea in my head really is.

Some will actually do a ring cut out as it can not only provide a few hours of fun but it may also give you an idea of scale too.
HTH

-A

SB621

Ideal_Rock
hey there,

I have a 6mm white gold scatter band with rubies and diamonds. I think my rubies are under .10 each. I will take photos and post for you tonight....hope that helps!

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
coolonya!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds can be under a milimeter, but I''m not so sure about colored stones. There''s a reason why they''re not usually cut so small - there''s not much to look at in such small sizes. But even if you''d find a 1.5 mm band with flush set diamonds, I wonder how structurally stable that ring would be i.e. how prone to damage, stone loss, bending etc. Design is not the only thing you should consider.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results