shape
carat
color
clarity

How rare are purple star sapphires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I was at a jewelry show this past weekend and bought a purple star sapphire ring, around 2 carats. I was wondering how rare they really are. It''s currently being reset to my specifications (diamond halo, with 2mm band).

Any info would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I guess, like with any other sapphire, it all comes down to the intensity of color, degree of transparency etc. Here you can scroll down to "judging stars and cabochons" and maybe learn something more: http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/r-s-bk-quality2.htm

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ma Re answered it best; there are so many variables when considering rarity and perceived value that just saying you have a 2 ct purple star sapphire isn’t enough information. Has it undergone any treatment? How strong is the star? Is it centered and are the legs straight? How transparent or translucent is the stone? Is the body colour strong and even? In general though, a 2 ct purple star isn’t particularly rare.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies! I''ll check out the link, Ma Re.

According to the seller, the stone is natural, untreated, and exhibits a strong six-ray pattern. I''ll have to see it when I get it to see whether it''s centered...from what I remember, the legs are straight. The seller says the stone is very translucent, with no gray or pink undertones.

She also said per carat, such a star sapphire with this particular color saturation would be about $400-500 per carat loose. The jeweler is a member of the AGTA; does that generally give them more credibility or make them more trustworthy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results