shape
carat
color
clarity

How much to have a loose diamond set/mounted?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jake518

Rough_Rock
With the help of the wonderful people here at PS, I''ve finally found the diamond I want to buy.

My one last question (I think) is how much should a loose diamond cost to be set / mounted in a new ring?

I know most places will set them for free, if you purchase both pieces from them, but I''m in the situation where they are not.

I''ve spoken with Whiteflash and they quote $100 to set the diamond, and I just wanted to make sure that is inline with other jewelers.

Thanks!
Jake

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
If your talking about a princess cut, be a little more carefull who you choose. I have seen too many with corners chipped or fractured during setting. If your having it rubbed over, (or hammer set, or flush set - same thing??!!), be extra carefull.

Round stones, and almost every other common cut are nearly impossible to break. even with a brick,

If your stone has large inclusions it may have a week point. It may look perfect but still have a week point though chances are 1-1000 that it won't.

Steve, I am not actively trying to follow you around on the boards it just seems that way
41.gif

I would hope $100 includes all of Steves assurances.

Strange that whiteflash don't have seperate prices for different cuts and sizes. It would be easy money if the stone is a vvs+ 50pt round, set in a 4 claw setting.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I know what you mean. It''s easier with your eyes closed

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
gee-reading all these posts scared me as i will be having a mounting made soon ..................

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about that, we don''t really shut our eyes, we just shut our minds and think about how beautiful the ring will be.

Diamonds are very expensive and you are entering into an area of trust. Only the people in charge of the setting can way-lay your fears though. Your the boss - go get them!

PS

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My guy charges between $5 and $125
Small stones in a multi-stone ring $5-$10 each.
Large center stone with him being responsible for it $125 in a complicated setting.
4 or 6 prong setting in the 1ct range $35 or so.
He mounts my gemstones for me no matter the size for $5 or $10 each but he isnt responsible for breakage.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I like the sound of that.

If I quote, I have to add enough money to account for difficulties. So many jobs prove more complicated then was what envisaged, and if you quote at the lowest price, you have only yourself to blame if you don''t make any money. If you quote high and the job turns out to be easy, you can take extra time and care, and those that agree to high quotes usually have very fussy customers who appreciate the better workmanship, so everybody is happy.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
All true,

The setter may also do the polishing and pre-polishing. Polishing for a large setting in intricate rings made of the harder plat alloys can take hours; couple that with a setting that is not quite right for the stone, that needs work, a stone with points and some scarey inclusions and you have a big job on your hand. It will be a beautifull ring and it is worth it, but somebody has got to pay. You can't expect your average setter who can set 15 pairs of 4 claw 20pt earings in the same time, (and not be left in a nervous state), charge, say $20 when he'd have charged $5 for each earing, especially if he isn't accostomed to this sort of work.

I know a lot of shops would charge less then a dedicated setter for big setting jobs, but they are also expecting future trade and sales, and I am sorry, but most of them only do half a job.

I have photos of a ring of mamoth proportions which took a day to set. This is astronomicaly long, for its just a seven stone, but if I show you the ring and some before and after shots you'll see why.

Maybe somebody is interested in seeing it?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Very few customers would prefer to pay $20 for a poorly done job of setting their $10,000 diamond vs. $200 fee to have it done properly. The problem is one of marketing by the good jewelers. Customers are simply not aware that there's a difference in the work product from someone who will take the necessary time and invest in the appropriate training and tools to do the job right. It's easy to get work by saying that you'll do it cheaper but the cheapest job is rarely what customers actually want after they consider the tradeoffs. Unfortunately, these tradeoffs are sometimes difficult to determine. In the end, both sides end up unhappy.

Brian,
At the risk of going against the grain of Pricescope, yes, you should raise your prices. You should do your work to the absolute best of your ability because your customers deserve nothing less. You should be fairly compensated for your time, training, tools and risks because YOU deserve nothing less.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I paid forty dollars. It was set at my own risk though. The diamond had no setting issues w/ a nice girdle, no feathers, round, etc.

Jake518

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for the responses. I never really factored in what everyone has mentioned when having a stone set. You are right, $100 isn''t all that bad.

Thanks for the insight!
Jake

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results