shape
carat
color
clarity

how much to expect from selling silver/gold?

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
When selling silver (sterling) or gold how much if the actual price should i expect to get back?
For example, if the selling price is really 20 dollars an oz , how much should I expect the dealer to give me?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve read for gold a good price is anywhere in the 60-80% range based on how much you’re selling. So if you’re selling one gold setting and the weight of that piece would be $20 today, any offers $12 and up would be reasonable. In my real life experience offers were more in the 70-75% range, but this probably varies depending on the market and the area you’re in. I hope I’m understanding and responding to your question correctly.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I gave a dealer a few different silver decorative items to sell for melt value.
She gave me a total that seems low so im just wondering how much is reasonable.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically you’ll get a better rate (% of current price) for gold items than silver, much more demand for gold.
Scrap metal requires refining to turn it back into a useable product so you’ll never get the current bullion price.
With silver objects, their value will likely be higher as the “item” than melt value. Especially if your items are able to be identified and dated via their hallmarks. You’ll always get more selling sterling silver Candlesticks, tea / coffee service, flat ware as objects of beauty and skilled craftsmanship than melt.
So unless your silver items are damaged and unable to be used / visually appreciated I would suggest selling them as objects of beauty.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scrap precious metal prices can be found on the internet, and peeps in UK can sell their scrap metals by posting them to companies that buy them at the published prices on the day they receive them.

Prices vary on a daily bases.

I checked the prices for scrap metals (platinum, 14K and 18K White Gold) first before I sold mine to a pawn shop that buys scrap metals for cash.

DK :))

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just remember, you get paid on the actual gold or silver content: 14K (58%) 10K (37.5%) Sterling silver (92.5%) There are refining fees to consider that the buyer has to factor in, plus if the buyer has a "hold" period of up to 30 days in some cities they need to protect themselves if there is a big drop in the metals market. It's best to shop around in your community to see what the "market" is paying in your area.

JI

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Yes i called someone else to see if I can sell as decorative pieces rather than scrap.
Thank you for the advice

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results