shape
carat
color
clarity

How much should a couple have saved...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 10:47:12 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 7/22/2008 9:50:36 PM
Author: somethingshiny
We got married on nothing and lived happily ever after.
hug.gif
I think you''re lovely.
That''s the way to go!!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 2:48:22 AM
Author: miraclesrule
Date: 7/22/2008 10:47:12 PM

Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 7/22/2008 9:50:36 PM

Author: somethingshiny

We got married on nothing and lived happily ever after.

hug.gif
I think you''re lovely.
That''s the way to go!!

You ladies are so freaking sweet.

togal

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/12/2008 2:07:56 PM
Author: D2B
Well, my Husband and I certainly wouldnt have/couldnt have married if we required anywhere near 100K, luckily we didnt wait and have been married for 10 years now. We married because it felt right for us. we simply kept on renting and saving jointly after our marriage, and worked as a partnership. we both didnt see the need to have x amount, we had jobs and had supported ourselves, so combining our household wasnt a big deal, we kept within our budget.

Our wedding was split 3 ways, between the parents and ourselves and small and intimate. we didnt buy a house for many many years later, as we travelled the world and then setteld down.

So for us, you dont need x amount, you need a steady sensible outlook to your finances and if you can support yourselves, there is no reason the 2 of you cant support yourselves together.

D2B
It''s true....two can live cheaper than one...unless, of course, you''re living rent free with your parents before marriage.

My husband and I didn''t have a penny to our name when we got married....but we survived. We had a small wedding -- well, actually we eloped at Sandals in Jamaica. We later saved and bought a condo and so on. Gosh....if we had waited to have X number of dollars before getting married, we''d probably still be engaged (we''ve been married now for 18 years).

I think the answer to your question is whatever you are comfortable with. I really don''t think you would need to have everything right at the very beginning. Many couples get married, rent, and save for their downpayment. Maybe it''s a different mentality in NY, I don''t know. Also, and this is just my personal opinion -- saving $40K then blowing it in one day is a waste of money when it could go toward your home or even invested. As mentioned, I eloped....so I guess I feel differently about the whole wedding $$ thing than most.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We got married 7 years ago, at age 21 and 22.

He spent $700 on an e-ring
Together with our families we spent $6,000 on a wedding for 150 people at a nice country club
We rented for the first 2 years, and then bought a house using a $15K down payment that he had leftover in his college fund

There''s no way in hell we would be married even now if you had to have 100K in the bank!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results