shape
carat
color
clarity

How much room for error with LOGR settings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I am thinking of buying a yellow sapphire to set into a LOGR setting. I''ve never purchased a setting and stone separately before. What kind of room for error do I have one each side of the stone (say, a cushion or asscher)?

I guess the crux of the issue is: Is it difficult to match up a stone with a setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s always easier to get the stone first, then the setting. As with all settings, you usually have a 0.5 mm play unless your stone is particularly deep. I have often read that LOGR will customize their setting to fit your stone for a small fee ($30?). I''ve also read that the LOGRs tend to run a wee bit small. To be safe, try to get a stone that is close to the calibrated size of common settings.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience Chrono, you''re right about the stock settings running a bit on the small side.

I had some settngs I had purchased before I had any stones for them, and had such a hard time finding stones for them. I find I''d rather have the stone first.

If your setting has any type of basket undernearth (especially true for solitares) it can be a tight fit if the stone is cut deep. I had an 8mm setting and a 7.5 mm stone, but the stone was deep and a very tight fit!

Modifcations can be done on LOGR settings for 30usd and up. (it really depends on what it is) I would advise to get a quote first on the setting you''re interested in just so you''re aware of what other costs may have to go into purchasing your setting.

For custom work, I''ve only had to wait about 10 days and that was during the christmas rush.

So what stone/setting type are you interested in?

-A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results