shape
carat
color
clarity

how much money to send?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"A" is 14 and will be going with her teen group to Disneyland next month. She'll be there for 4 days & 3 nights. They have some activities planned plus lots of time in Disneyland too. All meals are included.

How much money should I send with her to buy stuff?

I don't want to send too little and have her unable to buy a couple of things, but she's also very prone to losing stuff so I don't want to send way too much either. I'm getting her a wallet (pocket sized so it just stays in her pocket -- her request) soon so she'll have some time to carry that and (hopefully) get used to keeping track of it.

She's not the sort to bring gifts back for other people so it is just for fun souvenirs for her.

$200?
$300?
more?

I went to Disneyland once but that was 14 year ago and my grandparents just bought me stuff so I didn't have to worry about bringing any money with. I seem to remember that stuff was pretty $$$ (but at that age I guess most stuff seemed $$$$) and you could easily spend LOTS of money.
She doesn't need big stuff, but I'd like to make sure she can comfortably buy a few little things (she likes sweatshirts and sometimes fashion jewelry).

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about some sort of pre-paid card that we can add money to if needed and if she loses isn't a big deal?

If so, where do I get such a thing?

Also, if so how much to start with? How much to add if needed?
(would adding set a bad expectation that you start with X but if you use it we'll just keep giving more?)

GAH!!!
Teenagers are tough!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I think $200 is enough - actually I think it's more than enough.

You're thinking from your perspective of buying very nice quality stuff. Her reality is probably more along the lines of fairly inexpensive stuff: think sweatshirts, Minnie Mouse ears and inexpensive earrings. Teenager stuff.

Here's a link to Disney park souvenir offerings -http://www.disneystore.com/disney-parks-product/accessories/mn/1001081+1000216/

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I was just at disney world. Stuff is expensive but $200 should be more then enough for a few keep sakes and random drinks/ food.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$200 seems like a good amount. Thanks for the link VR!

I wonder if the thing to do is to do $200 on a pre-paid card and then $20 or so in cash?
She has done okay keeping track of her ASB card this year so that might be easier than cash (which she's still in the habit of losing...).

We are working on being responsible for not losing stuff and she's getting better.
We'd really like for her to start getting some practice with managing money and sticking to a budget.

Thoughts?
Ideas?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1388630960|3584568 said:
I was just at disney world. Stuff is expensive but $200 should be more then enough for a few keep sakes and random drinks/ food.

Thanks!

Hope you had lots of fun on your trip!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or does your bank have a program that will allow a temporary debit card be issued to her with a pin and a set spending limit? That's what I would do. I'd do 250-300 because last time I looked a nice sweatshirt at Disney was around 80 bucks. But I wouldn't feel comfortable sending a teen off to a high crime place like Disney with that much cash.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Another idea is to buy Disney gift cards. They sell them pretty much anywhere even at my local grocery store. You could do both gift cards and cash.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
If she is visiting Disneyland in Anaheim, there is also a shopping center adjacent to the parks that they will pass as they head to the parking lot. So in addition to Disney stuff, if she is into shopping, you might want to factor that in.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1388634382|3584599 said:
Or does your bank have a program that will allow a temporary debit card be issued to her with a pin and a set spending limit? That's what I would do. I'd do 250-300 because last time I looked a nice sweatshirt at Disney was around 80 bucks. But I wouldn't feel comfortable sending a teen off to a high crime place like Disney with that much cash.

I wouldn't call it a high crime place at all. I have had an annual pass my entire life, and not once have I ever been victimized or known anyone who has either.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'll have to look into this!
We have accounts at a couple of banks so hopefully one of them would do something like that.

I hadn't even thought about crime, but that is a good point to -- she'll be going through the airport plus the hotel plus around town...
My big worry was that she'd lose it somewhere as she's done repeatedly already. (with smaller amounts, thankfully!)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I ditto the Disney gift cards. We just went to disneyland and had been buying gift cards every time we went to the grocery store. You can use them for anything in the park. The only place you can't use them is at some of the Downtown Disney stores. So maybe $100 in cash and $100 in Disney gift cards?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she doesn't spend the disney cards you are out the money though. I like the debit card idea. I bet your bank could issue her one. I would just give her a limit. Everything is crazy expensive there and she will be going to multiple parks and shopping areas. I also think the disney cards encourage you to spend because you have to use them up or loose the money. It's a great deal for disney but not so much for you.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1388638528|3584635 said:
If she doesn't spend the disney cards you are out the money though. I like the debit card idea. I bet your bank could issue her one. I would just give her a limit. Everything is crazy expensive there and she will be going to multiple parks and shopping areas. I also think the disney cards encourage you to spend because you have to use them up or loose the money. It's a great deal for disney but not so much for you.

Good to know!

Thanks for the warning. I can see how it would be nice for smaller amounts but could be prone to leave some small (or even large) amount unused.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
braga123|1388635583|3584610 said:

I wouldn't call it a high crime place at all. I have had an annual pass my entire life, and not once have I ever been victimized or known anyone who has either.

Amusement parks, hotels, airports are prime for pickpocketing. Especially if you are an inattentive teen.

And not to make you worry, but when I was in my early twenties and traveling Europe I was told point blank not put my wallet in my back pocket, and instead put a small credit card size coin purse it in my front pocket with only the necessities. (I was also told to pin emergency money to my bra, and I did). So I would try to stick to something small that will fit in her front pocket. Also on rides things can fall out of your back pocket. And when you go to the bathroom (I've lost cell phones this way) things in your back pocket can fall right in the toilet.

Something like this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/fossil-coin-purse-key-per-zip?ID=826768&CategoryID=27689&LinkType=#fn=WALLET_STYLE%3DCoin%20Purse%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D31%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D3 Large enough for a debit card, an ID, and some cash.

Or this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/fossil-wallet-metallic-leather-bifold-card-case?ID=1050807&CategoryID=27689&LinkType=#fn=WALLET_STYLE%3DCoin%20Purse%3B%3BCard%20Case%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D39%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D13

That's all she needs. And make sure she puts it in the front not the back.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1388648976|3584689 said:

I don't know about teen fashions, but a lot of women's jeans these days are cut with "half pockets" in front that are totally useless.... or worse, because things easily slip out if you sit down or use the loo.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1388649716|3584691 said:
Gypsy|1388648976|3584689 said:

I don't know about teen fashions, but a lot of women's jeans these days are cut with "half pockets" in front that are totally useless.... or worse, because things easily slip out if you sit down or use the loo.

Gypsy -- Great links! I love that 2nd one. It is just the sort of thing I'm looking for! Not only are wallets in the back pocket an easy target for thefts, it can also (over time) cause problems with your spine. (the chiropractor has a patient he was talking to and part of his problem is that he carries a super thick wallet in his back pocket so he's always a bit out of line when sitting). She doesn't want a purse because she doesn't want to have something to carry all the time but she has gotten good at sliding her ASB card into her front pocket.

VR -- Great reminder about pockets! Most of her jeans have full size pockets but I'll make sure to have her check on everything she packs.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
A pre paid Visa Card should work just fine;-) I know they charge an activation fee of about 4.95, but if you have a BJ's or Costco card they actually sell them about 1.00 cheaper!
If you get her the one that's reload able that's more money, but a 200.00 card should take her to Disney and back. If she does come home with a balance on it( yippee) she can use it at local stores also or give it back to you.
The balance never expires and it's usable anywhere Visa is accepted.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any chance you can check with some of the other parents re: spending money amount? Not that you have to give the same, but if most of the other teens are given $125, or even $300, and your daughter has $200 she may feel a little out of step with the group dynamics.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
200 is plenty. If it were my daughter, 50-100 because I am a cheapo who has been to Dland many times. IMO D-Land is already expensive enough and I don't really want to spend anymore on overpriced souvenirs.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
For 14 years old, I'd send her with $100.

But whatever the amount, I'd tell her to divide by the number of days and not spend more than that per day. Otherwise, after day 1, she'll call and say she's out of money.

That's why my kids did. :rolleyes:

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know much about them, but what about a prepaid Visa/Mastercard? That way she couldn't spend more than you would be comfortable with, yet I think there would be the protection of a Visa/MC. I think you could add funds to the account if you need to.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elisateach|1388676594|3584825 said:
A pre paid Visa Card should work just fine;-) I know they charge an activation fee of about 4.95, but if you have a BJ's or Costco card they actually sell them about 1.00 cheaper!
If you get her the one that's reload able that's more money, but a 200.00 card should take her to Disney and back. If she does come home with a balance on it( yippee) she can use it at local stores also or give it back to you.

The only thing I don't like about the pre-paid cards is that there is no PIN. So if your card is lost or stolen, anyone can use it.

I would prefer the safety of something with a PIN, personally.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1388685008|3584916 said:
200 is plenty. If it were my daughter, 50-100 because I am a cheapo who has been to Dland many times. IMO D-Land is already expensive enough and I don't really want to spend anymore on overpriced souvenirs.

If my kids were going I would give them less too because they have been before and since we're local, they could go again. But if your kids can't go back easily those darned souvenirs look more appealing. It's part of a memory, not just a trinket.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1388677229|3584832 said:
Any chance you can check with some of the other parents re: spending money amount? Not that you have to give the same, but if most of the other teens are given $125, or even $300, and your daughter has $200 she may feel a little out of step with the group dynamics.

Good idea!
I'm hoping the organizer will have some good insight here too. The problem I've run into before is that no one actually talks about money so if you ask it is weird and always gets the same answer -- "Oh! Whatever you are comfortable with. :)) "

The group is grades 8-12. Mostly from the orthodox Jewish community with some from conservative.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1388685008|3584916 said:

Those were the numbers DH was thinking.

After seeing the prices of sweatshirts and stuff, I think she might get overwhelmed trying to find something for that amount and would just quit looking and get nothing (like she did on her other trip).

I'd rather she not get huge heaps of stuff or super expensive thing to be tossed aside but I don't want her feeling uncomfortable either.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1388685736|3584928 said:
For 14 years old, I'd send her with $100.

But whatever the amount, I'd tell her to divide by the number of days and not spend more than that per day. Otherwise, after day 1, she'll call and say she's out of money.

That's why my kids did. :rolleyes:

Yep!

I want to find a good number that is not too generous but not too small either so that we can tell her she has X amount and that is it. When it is gone, we won't send more. (all meals and snacks/drinks are included plus all activities they'll be doing too so she wouldn't be missing out on anything like that)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1388688097|3584950 said:
Elisateach|1388676594|3584825 said:

The only thing I don't like about the pre-paid cards is that there is no PIN. So if your card is lost or stolen, anyone can use it.

I would prefer the safety of something with a PIN, personally.

Orbaya -- That was what I was wondering too. I am thrilled that so many people here have experience with them because I don't know much about them.

Gypsy -- Good to know about them not having a PIN! I'd be much happier with something with a PIN so we could just have it replaced if lost.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
As she is so young, remind her that any purchases need to fit in her suitcase for the return trip. :) Teens don't always take that into consideration.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies|1388718210|3585262 said:
As she is so young, remind her that any purchases need to fit in her suitcase for the return trip. :) Teens don't always take that into consideration.

Good reminder!

I have trouble remembering that too :bigsmile:

My grandmother used to pack collapsible suitcases in her big suitcase so that she'd have more room to carry stuff home...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results