shape
carat
color
clarity

How much do you think I could get?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dmaki

Rough_Rock
Just over two years ago I purchased an engagement ring that I’m now looking to get rid of. Obviously the engagement didn’t work out and the ring was actually worn less than two months. I’ve been in contact with the dealer I got the ring from and he is willing to take the ring in on a trade up.

The details of what I have:

1.043 ct.
AGS Triple Zero Hearts & Arrows Diamond
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Diamond is set in a Vatche X Prong Platinum setting

My diamond dealer said that he could give me roughly $4000 for the diamond and probably around $500 for the setting. This is about a $2300 loss to me from what I paid for it. My question is what do you think would be a fair asking price on ebay? I would think that I should be able to get more than $4500 for it.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dmaki,

Was the stone graded by AGS or someone else? Where did the hearts&arrows determination come from?

Ebay is sometimes a bit of a crap shoot but it''s not really very difficult or expensive to write an advertisement and give it a try. Given the above specs, I think you may be able to get more by direct sale to a consumer than through a dealer and ebay is a decent place to look for a customer. That''s a pretty desirable description.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

dmaki

Rough_Rock
The stone was graded by AGS. As far as the H&A determination - nothing is actually written on paper or on the actual certificate noting that it''s a H&A. I talked to my jeweler prior and told him that''s what I was looking for. His diamond guy in NY told him it was a H&A. I have one of the scopes that allow you to see the H&A, and they clearly show up. The certificate says: AGS Ideal 0 (Polish, Symmetry, Proportions all equal to Ideal).

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/27/2005 9:11:55 AM
Author:dmaki
I would think that I should be able to get more than $4500 for it.
Maybe yes, maybe no.

A bird in hand...

The offer seems fair .

It appears that he is offering close to the wholesale price, which is more than others will typically offer.

If you go the ebay route, be careful, be sure you have cash (read; green money) in hand before sending ring.

There are a lot of scams, fake money orders, fake escrow services, etc.

Edited.
twice, sorry

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
$4K is quite a good offer from a dealer for the diamond. Take it and get it over with. I doubt you will net more once you get into any auction situation. Diamonds bought at any level of retail are difficult to get out of whole unless you have a business of selling them to the public. That would be an extremely rare circumstance.

The best alternative is to put the diamond away safely and some day in the future when the right person comes along, see if you can use that stone or trade it in against a different one. If using this stone makes a potential new fiance' upset, you might be finding out that she isn't "miss right" either.

Good luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming you will get to buy an engagement ring sometime in the foreseable future... would the trade up policy be better value than the current offer ?

Not sure how far Ebay will go, but local classifieds might make good refference for what you could expect from a private sale. There are always several diamonds on craiglist and such, but not many this nice. If you have both time and inclination, it can''t hurt to advertise. Besides, a person-to-person transction might be less involved than Ebay & escrow
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results