shape
carat
color
clarity

How much do solitaire settings weigh?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Typically speaking, how much does a nice 14kt White Gold solitaire setting weigh?... around 3 grams?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
These settings barely weigh anything. I just weighed my very thick heavy wedding band on my postal scale and it weighed in at six grams. Then I weighed my thin solitaire (with diamond) and it didn't even register on the scale so I doubt more than one or two grams!
3.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

The jeweler said my new setting should weight between 3-3.5 grams so I was just wondering if it''s going to be okay.
26.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Solitaire setting are made in various weights, even by the same manufacturer.

The ones with the comfort fit shanks ( rounded inside ) weigh more than the "vaniilla" setting more commonly found.

I think you can find a lighter weight one ( less cost- but less durable too) and ones that are heavier. 3 to 3 1/2 grams to me is on "middle ground". If you want a more substancial one, ask for the comfort fit type, and perhaps choose a platinum prong portion.

Also rings that are die struck may be heavier too. Certainly they wear better over the years.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
RocDoc~ this is the setting i''m getting made... do you think a 3-3.5 grams setting is too light for a 1.5ct stone?

emerald%20split%20shank%20ring%20copy.jpg

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
What do you mean by too light? Strength of the material? Or are you afraid the diamond is gonna tip over or something? I tried on a white gold solitaire similar to that when looking for my g/f''s ring. White gold weighs like nothing. But, the diamond doesn''t weigh all that much either. My stone was 1.37 (sorta close to a 1.5) and when I laid the stone on teh setting, I couldn''t feel any change in weight at all.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Too light as in bendable or easily breakable? 3 grams just doesn''t seem very heavy. I dunno.. never weighed any of my rings, but the white gold ones feel pretty heavy even compared to the plat ones so I was just afraid a ring that''s 3 grams would be too flimsy.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
For that style ring, I agree that may be too light.

Try looking at http://www.Stuller.com the have photographs of zillions of rings and jewelry.;

Rockdoc

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2004 80:46 PM
Author: ForteKitty
Too light as in bendable or easily breakable? 3 grams just doesn't seem very heavy.
3 grams are not very much - I would expect 2 more for a simple ring (the sample used is size 3 or so - 12mm inner diameter) and the model you are looking at has a double shank to boot. It's probably durable enough to be used though. Otherwise, the setter can always tell you to scrap the $200 worth or else risk to leave the diamond behind on the way
23.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... just in case. Do you remember that "Halo" ring ? Works for any shape and it is not an usual sight despite being the simplest way to peg diamond on finger
2.gif

The type is about 100 times easier to make in gold than platinum although these rings can only be done on the stone. If you ever want to stack a number of diamond shapes on the same finger, this is one recipe to do just that - nothing beats playing with stackable rings on a boring workday
3.gif

Favz.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results