shape
carat
color
clarity

How much could it be worth?

GemstoneLiker

Rough_Rock
I think it's a rhodonite, but when trying to find the right price tag online, most of rhodonites were mostly pink, or almost all pink. Is it a subtype of rhodonite? Or is it a rhodonite, but less worth? (like the pink is what people are looking for, so less pink less value?) It's 30mm long, 25mm wide and 20mm tall when placed like on weight or pic 3. IMG_20240329_110343.jpg IMG_20240329_110306~2.jpg IMG_20240329_110309~2.jpg
IMG_20240329_110325~2.jpg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is Rhodonite, the inexpensive kind.
5-10$ (odd shape, low polish, probably tumbled)
This type of quality is mostly used for carvings, it's not the gemmy type.

GemstoneLiker

Rough_Rock
It is Rhodonite, the inexpensive kind.
5-10$ (odd shape, low polish, probably tumbled)
This type of quality is mostly used for carvings, it's not the gemmy type.

Thanks for answering! How could I estimate a price for other minerals similar to this one (rarely seen sold online)? Or how did you estimate it?

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for answering! How could I estimate a price for other minerals similar to this one (rarely seen sold online)? Or how did you estimate it?
Just go on Etsy and Ebay and get familiar with the prices. I googled it, took me 30 seconds.

GemstoneLiker

Rough_Rock
Just go on Etsy and Ebay and get familiar with the prices. I googled it, took me 30 seconds.

As for etsy, many are overpriced. For eg. I found ~70cts for 9$ after 70% ,,sale", so according to this mine would be at least 15$. On Ebay, how do I know which ones aren't overpriced, look onto the sellers profile and see if he has other in normal prices?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for etsy, many are overpriced. For eg. I found ~70cts for 9$ after 70% ,,sale", so according to this mine would be at least 15$. On Ebay, how do I know which ones aren't overpriced, look onto the sellers profile and see if he has other in normal prices?

Saying it's worth $5-15 is going to be about accurate.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, so here's how I judge:
What is the grade of the material, colour, veining etc.
Look at the shape, is it a desirable shape, a palm stone, a carving, etc?
What is the polish like?
Is it tumbled or carved?
The cheaper stuff is tumbled in a machine, meaning nobody spent time to polish it manually so it doesn't cost as much. The material itself is dirt cheap, you can buy it by the kg and make carvings out of it.

Yes, yours could be around 15$, because of the size but the shape drags the value down.
As a sphere it would have been more valuable even if it's not a high grade Rhodonite.

GemstoneLiker

Rough_Rock
Ok, so here's how I judge:
What is the grade of the material, colour, veining etc.
Look at the shape, is it a desirable shape, a palm stone, a carving, etc?
What is the polish like?
Is it tumbled or carved?
The cheaper stuff is tumbled in a machine, meaning nobody spent time to polish it manually so it doesn't cost as much. The material itself is dirt cheap, you can buy it by the kg and make carvings out of it.

Yes, yours could be around 15$, because of the size but the shape drags the value down.
As a sphere it would have been more valuable even if it's not a high grade Rhodonite.

Okay, thanks! And btw, is it worth to make carvings? I made a little droplet out of amber. That droplet was my first ever experience in carving, maybe third one in polishing, and turned out pretty nice (wouldn't put it for sale, but as for first try, with no theory, nor experience, it is cool), so I think I would be able to carve. Yes I am aware that some minerals have toxic dust or something when cutting/carving, so I would need to get a mask, or even don't carve some minerals/gems (I don't have a Workshop).

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, thanks! And btw, is it worth to make carvings? I made a little droplet out of amber. That droplet was my first ever experience in carving, maybe third one in polishing, and turned out pretty nice (wouldn't put it for sale, but as for first try, with no theory, nor experience, it is cool), so I think I would be able to carve. Yes I am aware that some minerals have toxic dust or something when cutting/carving, so I would need to get a mask, or even don't carve some minerals/gems (I don't have a Workshop).

I have no idea but I assume you'd have to be really quick to turn the rought to finished product and have access to buying rough material really cheap.
It's all about how much you can produce per hour, despite the costs like: materials, tools, space, online space/shop that is safe enough for transactions, postage costs, wrapping materials etc.

You will have lots of competition from vendors in countries where manual labour is cheap.

Visit some gem shows (like Tucson or Denver ) to see what's being sold for what prices. I think that's the lowest prices you can find and you could see where you can position yourself in the market, see what you can bring to the market, that would interest people.
I don't think people in this business do it for the money, they just love rocks. I think it's a very tough market.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricescope is more for gems, not mineral samples.

I'd do a search for websites offering expertise in your field of interest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results