shape
carat
color
clarity

How much can you really tell just by looking at a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
I''m getting the feeling that most everyone here is a huge fan of the EX cuts, polish, etc. I''ll probably always be a newbie because when I look at someone''s diamond, the only thing that turns me off is clarity and that''s only if I can see obvious black spots without looking at it very close. Just curious, without actually comparing side by side, will someone be able to tell the quality of cut and when does it become "ugly" or "cheap looking?" What do YOU think? I probably frustrate jewelers because even when comparing I couldn''t even tell a difference between an H and a J and only a slight difference between an H and a K. Eek!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I''m the same as you. I have no clue, other than color after about H, and clarity up to a certain level. Probably VS1 or 2.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 12:34:00 PM
Author:Peepa
I'm getting the feeling that most everyone here is a huge fan of the EX cuts, polish, etc. I'll probably always be a newbie because when I look at someone's diamond, the only thing that turns me off is clarity and that's only if I can see obvious black spots without looking at it very close. Just curious, without actually comparing side by side, will someone be able to tell the quality of cut and when does it become 'ugly' or 'cheap looking?' What do YOU think? I probably frustrate jewelers because even when comparing I couldn't even tell a difference between an H and a J and only a slight difference between an H and a K. Eek!
The cut, symmetry and polish is going to affect a diamond's beauty much more than its color will.

To me a diamond doesn't become 'ugly' or 'cheap' as the color changes, I classify it that way when it has no sparkle or personality. If it looks like a frozen piece of spit mounted on a band of gold I'd definitely call it ugly. I tend to be quite color sensitive and am naturally drawn to the D and E stones, so comparing those to an H I'd definitely notice a difference. It still wouldn't make the H ugly OR cheap, it just makes it less likely that it'll jump out at me.
2.gif
Even saying that, if a D or E stone isn't cut well it too could look like a frozen piece of spit, albeit a very white one. LOL

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Visually you will be able to tell a stone that is cut too shallow, or too deep because both affect the looks of the diamond if extreme.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I was at a restaurant and a woman walked in the room and her diamond was practically blinding me. When I looked at mine to admire it in the obvious good lighting, I noticed mine wasn''t sparkling near as much. Turns out my diamond had a nasty fish eye and it was clearly noticable when compared to other rings. That being said, everyone had always complimented me on the diamond, but I had to change it out because I noticed the difference.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
What I notice is how dirty most diamonds are.
32.gif
How can you tell cut, color or inclusions when they are covered with lotion???
6.gif

Keep yours clean, and you are waaaaay ahead of the game!!
36.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Very good question.I have no clue at all, but always manage to pick the most expensive stone to look at.Don''t know how it happens but it always does happen that way..

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for bringing this up! I thought I was the only ps''er that couldn''t tell. I can only tell unless it''s sitting side by side to an excellent cut stone. But then, I can''t even tell between Soda and Diet Soda unless I do a comparison tasting.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 3:41:25 PM
Author: choro72
Thanks for bringing this up! I thought I was the only ps''er that couldn''t tell. I can only tell unless it''s sitting side by side to an excellent cut stone. But then, I can''t even tell between Soda and Diet Soda unless I do a comparison tasting.

Ditto.

Well not so much the soda thing. I can sense diet a MILE away. GROSS!
38.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 2:23:34 PM
Author: Fly Girl
What I notice is how dirty most diamonds are.
32.gif
How can you tell cut, color or inclusions when they are covered with lotion???
6.gif

Keep yours clean, and you are waaaaay ahead of the game!!
36.gif
This drives me nuts!!!! I can''t understand how someone doesn''t notice that their diamond looks like it just got pulled out of the garbage can. I just want to ask them if i can take it home and clean it. I''ll bring it right back......promise!
27.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I think that the most important things to look for when "eye balling" a stone is 1. Are there visible inclusions/chunks? and 2. Does it sparkle? I don''t even care that much about color- I like icy white and warmer colors. As long as the stone sparkles and has "fire" (little rainbows) It would be ok with me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results