shape
carat
color
clarity

How many weeks before b-day can one purchase their gift?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, this is a silly post, but my birthday is in Dec. and I've taken diamond shopping into my own hands because I would like a pendant and DH is never EVER going to understand this. Last year, I picked out a ring and instead he got me an 40 some-odd-inch LCD tv. The year before that he ignored my dream item & he got me a REALLY expensive ski jacket. I DO NOT even ski!!!
20.gif

Question is, I already found two stones I like and would be happy with. Is it too soon to purchase now? I've got nearly two months until my birthday and am afraid that the holiday season will bring on more diamond-buying competition and someone will swipe these stones AND I also am dying to get my necklace.

Should I go for it and hide the purchase from my husband until closer to Dec?! lol (I AM just kidding. . .just to clear this up. . .I have would feel guilty doing this!)
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''d go for it, because you see the right stones now. I''d tell him, however. Just a simple, I''m getting my birthday present now.

Looking forward to pics!
36.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe I''m sure I''ll tell him. I have a hard time hidding things and never lie to him!

I cannot wait to post.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t know that hiding anything from one''s husband is ever a good idea
34.gif
but you could let him know that diamonds in the range you are looking at might not be around in a few months and you''ll need to ''jump'' now unless he is game for getting something bigger
2.gif

and no, it''s never too early. if you think you''ve found what you are looking for, go for it. it''s hard to get everything you want in a diamond, so when you find it, definitely get it!
35.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not too early in the least. It could take a few days to get the stone and then to get it all set could also take a few weeks.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
56 weeks...or 364 days before is also OK. No rules. Not like wearing white before or after Memorial Day.

DKS

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 4:11:59 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
56 weeks...or 364 days before is also OK. No rules. Not like wearing white before or after Memorial Day.

DKS
I like that No rules...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No rules for me either! I started shopping for my 30th anniversary diamond about a week after my 29th anniversary. And it was a good thing because it took me months to decide what I wanted!

You need to do some husband training, though. HE needs some rules, and the first one is, NO SURPRISE GIFTS!!! If it''s not on your detailed wishlist and it costs over $50, do NOT buy!!!! My hubby understands this well. I send him links and he buys something I want. Or sometimes, like when I got studs, I went ahead and ordered them but did not open until the holiday.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 5:46:52 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
No rules for me either! I started shopping for my 30th anniversary diamond about a week after my 29th anniversary. And it was a good thing because it took me months to decide what I wanted!

You need to do some husband training, though. HE needs some rules, and the first one is, NO SURPRISE GIFTS!!! If it''s not on your detailed wishlist and it costs over $50, do NOT buy!!!! My hubby understands this well. I send him links and he buys something I want. Or sometimes, like when I got studs, I went ahead and ordered them but did not open until the holiday.
Oh, I''d love to train my DH but he''s way beyond trainable! We''ve been together since high school and he''s proven to be very strong-willed!
20.gif
hehehe

Anyway, I talked to him and he gave me the green light. I have a small budget, though, so I''m going to hunt around a bit more before deciding.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I think you make a solid argument MC. What IF you can''t find just the right stone again? I know that last year at around this time I found the most beautiful stone, but, was too chicken to buy it. Now that I am ready (if I get up the nerve) to buy something everything is thousands of dollars higher and pickins'' are slim! When you find the right stone, BUY IT! Or at least put a deposit down on it. What are you thinking of getting??? For some reason I was thinking you were going to bezel set a stone, no? Oh and I hear ya on the weird hubby gifts. My DH is either on or off...Never in between. One anni. he got me foot exfoliator
23.gif
another year it was roller blades
23.gif
32.gif
Sending links seems to work well for him. Or I visit my fab jeweler and tell her what I want so that when DH goes in she tells him what to buy. LOL! DHs are so funny!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 8:16:36 PM
Author: Miranda
I think you make a solid argument MC. What IF you can''t find just the right stone again? I know that last year at around this time I found the most beautiful stone, but, was too chicken to buy it. Now that I am ready (if I get up the nerve) to buy something everything is thousands of dollars higher and pickins'' are slim! When you find the right stone, BUY IT! Or at least put a deposit down on it. What are you thinking of getting??? For some reason I was thinking you were going to bezel set a stone, no? Oh and I hear ya on the weird hubby gifts. My DH is either on or off...Never in between. One anni. he got me foot exfoliator
23.gif
23.gif
32.gif
Sending links seems to work well for him. Or I visit my fab jeweler and tell her what I want so that when DH goes in she tells him what to buy. LOL! DHs are so funny!
A foot exfoliator sounds kind of nice, actually! Nothing wrong with having soft feet! lol

My husband is actually WEIRDLY anti-jewerly that I am beginning to wonder if he was traumatized by a diamond-wearing crazy person in a previous life! lol So, with that DH mentality in mind, I''m just looking to get a round diamond under the 1/2 ct mark set into a simple pendant (that I can possibly upgrade later. . .I''m looking at a few ACAs right now). (I already have a bezel D VS2, but the diamond belonged to my mom and we since have had a falling out, so it''s awkward wearing the stone. I never even wore the pendant much as I had hoped, anyway, as it never really felt like mine.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just revived your bellerina thread in Rocky Talk!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 8:28:06 PM
Author: MC

Date: 10/22/2007 8:16:36 PM
23.gif
23.gif
32.gif
A foot exfoliator sounds kind of nice, actually! Nothing wrong with having soft feet! lol

My husband is actually WEIRDLY anti-jewerly that I am beginning to wonder if he was traumatized by a diamond-wearing crazy person in a previous life! lol So, with that DH mentality in mind, I''m just looking to get a round diamond under the 1/2 ct mark set into a simple pendant (that I can possibly upgrade later. . .I''m looking at a few ACAs right now). (I already have a bezel D VS2, but the diamond belonged to my mom and we since have had a falling out, so it''s awkward wearing the stone. I never even wore the pendant much as I had hoped, anyway, as it never really felt like mine.)
My hubby was really weird about jewelry for a long time, too. His mom HATES jewelry and thinks it is materialistic (like their 100 inch plasma screen TV isn''t???). It''s taken a lot (read years) of work to get him to change his mind about jewelry and people in general. Fortuantely, he sees the value in ''happy wife=happy life'' now as he''s a good sport. And he''s pretty easy to bribe
31.gif
lol! Good for you for getting what you want. I hate it when friends are dying for something sparkly, but, won''t dare mention it to their DH and wind up angry because he DIDN''T get it for them!

I think 1/2 ct is the perfect size for a pendant. I can''t wait to see what you pick!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 8:46:55 PM
My hubby was really weird about jewelry for a long time, too. His mom HATES jewelry and thinks it is materialistic (like their 100 inch plasma screen TV isn''t???). It''s taken a lot (read years) of work to get him to change his mind about jewelry and people in general. Fortuantely, he sees the value in ''happy wife=happy life'' now as he''s a good sport. And he''s pretty easy to bribe
31.gif
lol! Good for you for getting what you want. I hate it when friends are dying for something sparkly, but, won''t dare mention it to their DH and wind up angry because he DIDN''T get it for them!

I think 1/2 ct is the perfect size for a pendant. I can''t wait to see what you pick!
My husband''s mom is the same way. She only wears a watch & earrings. Not even a wedding ring. She does own nice stuff, like a $5,000 couch, so it''s not the money issue, but the priorites. DH grew up seeing this, hence, us owing two complete matching living room sets, yet we have to keep one set up in our room so the cats cannot scratch it!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC, I think you should go ahead with your instinct and plan, hopefully your hubby is on board with the decision and you can snag your diamond for the pendant and maybe, just maybe the whole thing will be done in time for your b-day...if it''s finished before, great, or right after, great as well. Can''t wait to see the final product, I''m confident that you''ll end up with something nothing short of fabulous. I agree, no rules when it comes to this type of thing...you know what you want, there is definite reason to go forward with the purchase of a stone asap, so don''t worry about how soon is too soon and all that.

I''m all for nudging hubbies in the right direction within reason. I''ll never forget when DH and I were first living together and for my 25th b-day he got me a DVD player that HE had been coveting! Sure, it was a nice gift and they were still expensive at the time, but it was a total beneficial-to-him gift, if you will. It went right back to the store it came from the next day, and we had a little discussion about how birthdays and gifts in general are important to me even if they are not to him...I explained that I''m a "giver" and like to put lots of thought into gift-giving and just expected the same from him in return. He truly had no idea it was that big of a deal to me and has been better about gifts since then, even pulling some major suprise fabulous things for different occasions but every so often on the odd occasion he will regress back into giving me a gift that will benefit him as well (somehow I''ve ended up with DVD''s of movies that he knows would not appeal to me but thinks I might be interested in watching with him, etc.) Not complaining here, but it''s all a learning process, hee hee. Now if he says to me, Honey, I would really like this such-and-such for Christmas or my birthday, well bam, it''s done, no question.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
there is no such thing as ''too'' early when it comes to gifts!!
31.gif

i actually just bought my husband his bday gift....we are in october..his birthday is in JANUARY!!! but he really wanted this item and i thought this would be a perfect gift..so i got it!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my philosophy: buy when i see it. i''ve waited up to 6 months AFTER to buy my own gift because i didn''t see what i wanted at the time. hubby is just fine with this as it takes all the pressure off him.

movie zombie

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You gals are such a bad influence! lol Thanks for the support.
1.gif
I picked out a stone last night and went ahead and ordered it from WF this morning. Hopefully it''s ready next week!

(I''m sad to say this will be my last diamond purchase for quite a while. DH''s and my 10th wedding anniversary is in June and we''ll hopefully go on a great vacation so that be our "gift." But, I''ll probably sneak in a few Tiffany trinkets here and there, just for fun
2.gif
)

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
MC, I''m just answering the topic question. sorry if it seems brusque. Don''t have a lot of time. Must work on transcripts.

My DH and I bought our Christmas gift for the family Sunday of this week.
20.gif
Does that help, dear?

shay

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha, how fitting. DH and I have already exchanged xmas gifts...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! I can''t wait to see your pendant! It''s going to be a beaut!

And let me add to the vent: I HATE when guys buy you what *they* want to buy you and not what *you* want...and try to pass it off as a surprise! My fiance spent about $500 on me for Christmas last year, all on stuff I DIDN''T ask for but that he wanted to get me. That includes a new iPod, even though I don''t even like music that much and already had an older iPod I never used that he gave me!

And this was when he was supposed to be saving for my engagement ring, which irritated me even more! UGH. We ended up getting engaged in March, but still...he could have put that $500 towards the ring and not gotten me anything for Christmas and I would have been a-okay with it! I told him that and meant it, too!

Now my system is that I tell my twin sister a few things I want, she tells him the items on that list, and he picks something and thinks he''s surprising me!
11.gif
Everybody wins!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2007 2:47:29 PM
Author: MC
You gals are such a bad influence! lol Thanks for the support.
1.gif
I picked out a stone last night and went ahead and ordered it from WF this morning. Hopefully it''s ready next week!

(I''m sad to say this will be my last diamond purchase for quite a while. DH''s and my 10th wedding anniversary is in June and we''ll hopefully go on a great vacation so that be our ''gift.'' But, I''ll probably sneak in a few Tiffany trinkets here and there, just for fun
2.gif
)
So is ours. Ours is June 6th aka D-day.
9.gif
We also are planning on a big trip. That is too funny. We want to take the kids to Disney for a week and then go to my parents for a week in Texas. Of course, if mom and dad irritate me between now and then it''s off to Sandal''s family all inclusive for two weeks for us.
11.gif
31.gif
jk (sort of)

shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2007 6:50:44 PM
Author: kcoursolle
haha, how fitting. DH and I have already exchanged xmas gifts...
We are so bad.

Coursie, we just did one big family gift. The boys will get one toy a piece and that is all. We got a 46" LCD Sony Bravia. Holy moly it''s awesome.

shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results