shape
carat
color
clarity

How many people have or buy D IF diamonds?

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Well after much researching of pictures today I have decided after all this that I am not a big cushion cut, halo kind of girl and that I am a practical person and I love wearing my ring all the time so it probably is about the right size. Not too mention I have short fingers!
All the information has been sinking in and I am appreciating the rarity of my stone. I have become very familiar with the old girl over the past few years and tbh I probably would notice the difference in a lesser quality stone now.

So bearing all that in mind and taking on board the information and advice I think I have found the perfect new setting :). My setting now is very practical, classic and gives full view of the stone (even the perfect round edge and little point, love that) but I think I would like one a little finer and more feminine..

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-collette-with-open-profile

This setting is so *me*!! It will still allow me to stare at it from every angle but it will do the stone justice. I even showed my husband and he liked it! I won't get it reset now, I'll wait as at some point we want our marriage blessed and I will get it done then. For now I am going to enjoy my ring just as it..

Thank you!

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
What a really useful reply, thank you Danielxlin. You don't actually know any details about my diamond other the limited information I have given so how do you know. My husband is possibly the most careful man with money on this earth, he won't buy a can of soup at the supermarket without comparing the price so I doubt he made the decision without being 100% informed.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
I love the Collette setting! I'm glad that overall PS has helped you feel better.

Sorry for the recent nay sayer. We are all unique so we will never all value the same things.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chamomiletea|1471453554|4066941 said:
I keep posting before I am finished :/
If I was to get it reset I am thinking a super thin elegant micro pave and maybe on the basket too. Feminine, petite and elegant but with subtle sparkle. I think that would inject some of my personality.
I love my husband, bless him. He did the the best he knew how.
I don't know the details of the cut, tbh it is probably perfect. I am interested to find out now!
I'm finding new appreciation for my ring. I have worn it gardening, giving birth lol...
Maybe you can post the lab report?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do.

I have a D IF diamond.

I knew very well that for the same price I could have bought a much larger diamond so it's not true that everyone wants the largest diamond they can afford.
I'm also not diamond-ignorant, something many D IF buyers are accused of (and often true).

I just wanted a D IF ... so I bought one.
Simple as that.
Now I have a D IF.
I know, big whoop. I wouldn't start a tread bragging about it ... but since you asked, I answered.

Oh, and it also has excellent cut, proportions and light performance.

screen_shot_2016-08-17_at_6.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chamomiletea|1471480441|4067128 said:
What a really useful reply, thank you Danielxlin. You don't actually know any details about my diamond other the limited information I have given so how do you know. My husband is possibly the most careful man with money on this earth, he won't buy a can of soup at the supermarket without comparing the price so I doubt he made the decision without being 100% informed.
Just my guess... A well cut GIA graded 2ct D/IF Ex,Ex,Ex stone in today's market will sell for about $50K.

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Oh well investments go up and down all the time. It was when the market was low so maybe more people were parking money in diamonds and gold back then. I won't tell him ;-). He said the guy he bought it off told him he was paying full market price, there was no 'it's a deal'. Who cares, not like it will ever be for sale.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile and James Allen's stones are currently ranging from $65 to $74k (for a 2ct D/IF ideal cut). I'm guessing that a B&M store price would be quite a bit more, especially at a high end store. Plus the setting.

I think a 2 carat top quality MRB stone is classic and gorgeous and it would be lovely if we could all be so lucky. 0.5 ct is about the standard here. Personally, I'd sacrifice size for color and cut. I am very color sensitive and cut really is key. I'm less fussy about clarity so long as nothing is visible to the eye. Also, trying to compare with others is futile. There will always be younger, thinner, richer, happier, bigger, prettier, fancier, more graceful, smarter, more expensive...

Sounds like the stone is a good reflection of your DH.

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Thank you CMD. It is totally him. He doesn't care what people think, never has. He chose what he decided was the best all for me. I loved looking at pictures of people rings online today. So different! One of my favs actually was a little emerald cut with two pear shaped baguettes. It wasn't huge or a huge price but it was one of the prettiest rings I saw. I would never have thought of that!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A well cut 2.0c GIA D IF can range from 50k (B2C) to 85k (WF ACA).
100k is not unreasonable, especially if the stone/ring is from a boutique shop, a well known designer or branded. Again, the market is down. And, unlike 1.0c I VS (5k), 2.0c H/G VS (20k), the pricing of D IF is kinda all over the place.
I am sure Tiffany and Cartier would charge 100k+ for 2.0c D IF.

With very limited information given by the OP, calling it a "heist" is premature and inappropriate.

The OP's original question is about the rarity of D IF, not about the assessment of her diamond/ring.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Since you asked for professional opinions as well and we cannot comment on subjective factors or specifics, only general information, the main thing I would like to emphasize and reiterate here is what many others have already stated here before me, it is crucial to know what lab graded your diamond. Most of us here, prosumers, consumers, professionals alike would only consider a stone a TRUE D/IF IF it was graded by GIA or AGS maybe HRD but I personally want the stone to be preferably one of the former two and even verified by a recommended independent appraiser here to be a true D, not a low D close to and E or worse and really IF, as well as having ideal cut/light performance.

So, what you state that it is fully papered is not relevant information unless your report is from one of the above labs. If you are asking about value, this should be crucial information to you.

Otherwise, enjoy, be a proud owner of this beauty and have fun with the resetting!

As to how many buy D/IF or one of the two at least, well, yes, there are people looking for perfection; most, however, women especially prefer to go for size and cut but we are not created equal, whatever you two enjoy is the main thing.

BTW; yes price can vary depending on many factors, my suspicion was also that it was perhaps a designer piece, those will trade at premiums but since you mentioned dealer I was not sure, perhaps it was a pre-owned designer piece. It would be impossible to evaluate that based on the info we have and I will refrain from doing so anyhow.

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Yes it is a GIA. The paperwork is in my husband's safe but I am not going to go routing around in there to prove to a bunch of strangers that my stone is the best of the best ;-). I don't mean that in a nasty way, there is no point. I remember when I went to choose my wedding band which I got from from a high street jeweller. He asked to look at my ring, then we all went traipsing to the back of the store because he wanted a special magnifying thing to look at it properly and he went quiet. He said it was the best he has ever come across so I am not concerned that we have paid for a dud.
We lived in the UK at the time but my husband flew to NYC to use this one special guy (and to avoid VAT), there was a limited selection of this quality stone at the time and this stone was located in Switzerland. The dealer got it ready for my husband to look at with some other stones and this was the one my husband choose. To be honest this is agitating me now so I am going to not partake in this thread anymore. Thanks for those who offered help.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most PSers here are interested in the "cut quality". In other words...what are the proportions #s on the GIA report?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results