shape
carat
color
clarity

how many diamonds in an eternity for a 2.75 size finger

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

It''s been awhile since I last posted on this board...but I''m now shopping for an eternity wedding band!
36.gif

Here''s my delemma, I would like an eternity band that is 2.5mm wide with 1.7mm (2pointers) bead set diamonds. My e-ring is an x-prong platinum band with a 1.27ct radiant:
WFringfinal.jpg

myring.jpg

This is my inspiration pic of how I''d like my wedding band to look like:

ritaniweddingband.jpg

This is a better pic of the detail:

WFsafeshared.jpg

I have a 2.75 size finger but I''ve gotten two completely different quotes.

Facets:
28 ideal/premium diamonds x 1.7mm => $1330

WF:
20 ACA x 1.7mm => $1245

I''m sooo confused! I''ve double-check with both vendors and they both claim that the amount of diamonds are correct. Who is right??
33.gif

Thanks!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry but I can''t see any of the pictures.
33.gif

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
really??? but I can see them.
33.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I can see the pics! I love the look you''re going for. Did I read that right? A 2.75 size finger??? What?!

singer

Brilliant_Rock
How I wish I had smaller fingers....a size 7 1/2 requires bigger diamonds, which means more money.
39.gif

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Do both rings have diamonds all the way around? One might be a 3/4 eternity. One might just have smaller carat sized diamonds. Could be a number of different reasons.

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 4:56:38 PM
Author: klavigne
Do both rings have diamonds all the way around? One might be a 3/4 eternity. One might just have smaller carat sized diamonds. Could be a number of different reasons.

both quotes are for a full eternity band and the diamonds will be 1.7mm (0.02ct each).

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 4:55:50 PM
Author: singer
How I wish I had smaller fingers....a size 7 1/2 requires bigger diamonds, which means more money.
39.gif
Yeah my FI is VERY happy that I have small fingers! I've always hated the fact my fingers were so small (I find them too child-like). But it all worked out since my radiant looks pretty big on my finger!
27.gif
31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why won't the pictures show up for me?
29.gif
All I see are red x's. I wanna see them.

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
That looks like a beautiful combination!

Maybe the diamonds are spaced farther apart and/or set lower on the WF version. Do you have pictures of two versions so we can compare them?

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 5:06:03 PM
Author: Chrono
Why won''t the pictures show up for me?
29.gif
All I see are red x''s. I wanna see them.
Hey woman- do you still have my email address?

If you email me I can email the pics to ya!
35.gif

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have pics of the rings since I haven''t asked them to make it for me. The quotes are based on the pics I posted above and the size. I asked WF if it would be possible to have 28 x 1.7mm diamonds for my ring and they said that it would be impossible for the type of ring I want. So who''s right?

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
RadiantLover that is one of my favorite looks.
It seems odd that the stone count is off by so many.
hmmmm
I couldn''t find the section on Facets website with these bands.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
what a beautiful look you are going for!

sorry i am no help with what you are looking for, I just had to post because i am trying to fathom a 2.75 finger...i think my pinky is like a 3 or 4!

sluke

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if each of the vendors are setting them differently. Did you verify how you want them set? The WF quote sounds closer to the number of diamonds for the type of ring you want.

Beautiful e-ring!

ps. I have a 3/4 eternity (though it is shared prongs) from WF, and the ACA (3 pointers) melees are amazing.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Hi there.

I''m sorry, I don''t know anything about the number of diamonds it takes to circle a wedding band, but I did want to pop in say, "wow! Your finger''s smaller than my girl''s, and I never thought I''d see that!"

She''s a 3.5, and she has a hard time finding rings that appear small and delicate enough to not encompass her entire finger''s width. Your stone looks HUGE! Her own tastes are that 1/2 carat is as big as she''d want to go.

She also mentioned just recently that she likes the look of an eternity or partial eternity band. Good to know that the smaller the size, the less it''ll cost. (I''ve always thought it odd a smaller engagement ring costs the same as a bigger one. Should be less metal, and therefore cheaper. At least I get a break somewhere, maybe!!)

Good luck figuring out the diamond count issue!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
28 diamonds seems like its too much for your finger, are you sure that SP is not quoting .01c or similar?

i have an eternity ring somewhat similar (mine has a little more metal) to the one you want made from WF, and i have 27 .02 ACA stones in mine and my finger size is a 6.

so i would say 20 is probably closer to what they would use for your small finger size OR maybe one is pricing you out for shared prong and one is pricing you out for more like 4 prong? my rings probably have a few less stones in them because of the additional metal?

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
My MIL has a 3.5 finger and has SIZING BALLS!! I know what a small finger like this looks like, although, I''m a 6 3/4 and my lovely 1ct doesn''t look anywhere near huge on my finger. I had a ring sized to a 3 for my daughter and it fits her ring finger and she''s a thin girl. It''s AMAZING!! She has nice big stones and just gave me a ring with a ruby that I could hardly fit on my pinky. I can''t resize any of her rings, I have to have new ones made.

I think the 20 diamonds sounds more correct.

Jaime

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I''d get a quote from Ritani and see how many diamonds the ring has in it, say from DBOF.........I think the inspiration rings above look like the Ritani.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear a 3 1/2. WF made a shared prong band for me that had 25 3 pointers. Don''t know if that helps. It does seem odd that the number of stones would be so different
33.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2006 4:30:13 PM
Author:radiantlover

Facets:

WF:
20 ACA x 1.7mm => $1245

I''m sooo confused! I''ve double-check with both vendors and they both claim that the amount of diamonds are correct. Who is right??

At least the prices are close! Guessing 22 minute diamonds here, which would make both estimates slightly wrong. Now, I''d bet neither of the jewelers cared much to figure out the precise number given that the little stones are definitely not a fortune and most of the cost with this project would be elsewhere (labor and the ring). Since it is them who take in the slight difference if it does occur.... would you mind if there are 22 or 23 or 24 two pointers around your finger?

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 5:18:22 PM
Author: sevens one
RadiantLover that is one of my favorite looks.
It seems odd that the stone count is off by so many.
hmmmm
I couldn''t find the section on Facets website with these bands.
Hi Sevens one!

As a matter of fact I got that pic from one of your post!!!
9.gif
I fell in
30.gif
with it the minute I saw it. Can you tell me where you got it originally?

Facets would custom-make this eternity band for me.

I just realized something has anyone had them custom make a ring from them??? Maybe I should stick with WF since they have more experience?! I love the e-ring they made for me. What do you think?

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 7:58:48 PM
Author: sluke
I wonder if each of the vendors are setting them differently. Did you verify how you want them set? The WF quote sounds closer to the number of diamonds for the type of ring you want.

Beautiful e-ring!

ps. I have a 3/4 eternity (though it is shared prongs) from WF, and the ACA (3 pointers) melees are amazing.
Hi sluke!

I honestly don''t know, I''d assume they''d set the diamonds the same way since the pics I gave them show a lot of detail....at least I hope so!
32.gif

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 9:57:45 PM
Author: marriahlyn
I''d get a quote from Ritani and see how many diamonds the ring has in it, say from DBOF.........I think the inspiration rings above look like the Ritani.
Hi Marriahlyn!

Yes I''m pretty sure they are Ritani''s Endless Love eternity band...however they are too thin (2mm wide). I would like them to be 2.3-2.5mm wide.

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 8:50:57 PM
Author: Mara
28 diamonds seems like its too much for your finger, are you sure that SP is not quoting .01c or similar?

i have an eternity ring somewhat similar (mine has a little more metal) to the one you want made from WF, and i have 27 .02 ACA stones in mine and my finger size is a 6.

so i would say 20 is probably closer to what they would use for your small finger size OR maybe one is pricing you out for shared prong and one is pricing you out for more like 4 prong? my rings probably have a few less stones in them because of the additional metal?
Hi Mara!

Thanks for the info! Yeah I think I''m leaning with WF''s quote. I also think they''ve had more experience with custom jobs than Facets (please correct me if I''m wrong but I can''t seem to remember seeing anything here on PS
33.gif
).

The only thing is that Facets quoted me a lower price/ct...who should I go with???

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 1:15:54 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 3/24/2006 4:30:13 PM
Author:radiantlover

Facets:

WF:
20 ACA x 1.7mm => $1245

At least the prices are close! Guessing 22 minute diamonds here, which would make both estimates slightly wrong. Now, I''d bet neither of the jewelers cared much to figure out the precise number given that the little stones are definitely not a fortune and most of the cost with this project would be elsewhere (labor and the ring). Since it is them who take in the slight difference if it does occur.... would you mind if there are 22 or 23 or 24 two pointers around your finger?
Hi Valeria!

I agree that the price is close but Facets price is less per carat, whereas WF is more. But I *think* WF has more experience with custom jobs. So I don''t really know what to do...

I asked Facets if they''d provide me with a wax mold but they couldn''t because they "die-struck the eternity bands, the metal is cut to fit the ring". What does this mean? Iis this a ''better'' method vs using a wax mold???

Thanks

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2006 2:11:52 AM
Author: radiantlover

Hi Valeria!

I agree that the price is close but Facets price is less per carat, whereas WF is more.

Doubt that... they didn''t quote a price per carat but for the entire ring. Allowing for variation of the number of stones. It is common for eternity rings. I don''t think they would modify the price if the finished rings comes with a different numbers of diamonds (either more, or less). The normal thing is to have a low guess (like that 20) so that the customer feels you gave them a bit more rather than the opposite - when the ring finally arrives with one or two tiny diamonds more than predicted by the original quote. Some jewelers would not even give a precise number of diamonds for custom orders of eternity bands. I know... for the same reason you do: -small ring size (3).

I asked Facets if they''d provide me with a wax mold but they couldn''t because they ''die-struck the eternity bands, the metal is cut to fit the ring''. What does this mean?

Using a strong press to force metal into forms (dies). I have not seen jewelry parts made this way, but it very common way of making metal parts for anything.

Is this a ''better'' method vs using a wax mold???

In some way... there will be no porosity in the metal, a common fault for castings. And the resulting pieces are denser and more durable - they say. A couple of jewelry makes talked about on this forum swear by the merits of die struck jewelry parts: Stuart Moore and Van Craeynest.

However... whether the pros and cons of either manufacturing method are terribly relevant for an eternity band, no idea. In the end, the finished look matter a whole lot more to me, and the WF band you have posted looks great!

The bands from facets even have a different look, no? Do they even do bead-set ones? Only remeber shared prong settings at Facets.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Both are right. The number of stones required will vary with the size of the stones and the nature of the setting.

A size 2 3/4 in 43.5mm in circumference along the inside and normally an eternity band will be about 2mm thick so the outside circumference is going to be about 56mm. The girdles of the stone will sit slightly below the outside surface. Bigger stones will require a thicker band to accommodate the depth. If you’re packing 1.7mm stones girdle to girdle, this means you’re looking at a maximum of about 30 stones. If you add a little bit of space between the stones or have a thinner ring, you can drop this to about 18 if you want. Bigger stones will require fewer but the total weight will be more.

If you want to specify the number of stones, you are likely to end up with a custom mounting, which will drive up the price considerably. Most eternity bands are made with stock mountings that accept a specific number of stones for the design and size, and they won’t all be the same when comparing different designs. Ask your selling jeweler how many stones fit in the design you like.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 2:58:53 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 3/25/2006 2:11:52 AM
Author: radiantlover

Hi Valeria!

I agree that the price is close but Facets price is less per carat, whereas WF is more.

Doubt that... they didn''t quote a price per carat but for the entire ring. Allowing for variation of the number of stones. It is common for eternity rings. I don''t think they would modify the price if the finished rings comes with a different numbers of diamonds (either more, or less). The normal thing is to have a low guess (like that 20) so that the customer feels you gave them a bit more rather than the opposite - when the ring finally arrives with one or two tiny diamonds more than predicted by the original quote. Some jewelers would not even give a precise number of diamonds for custom orders of eternity bands. I know... for the same reason you do: -small ring size (3).

I asked Facets if they''d provide me with a wax mold but they couldn''t because they ''die-struck the eternity bands, the metal is cut to fit the ring''. What does this mean?

Using a strong press to force metal into forms (dies). I have not seen jewelry parts made this way, but it very common way of making metal parts for anything.

Is this a ''better'' method vs using a wax mold???

In some way... there will be no porosity in the metal, a common fault for castings. And the resulting pieces are denser and more durable - they say. A couple of jewelry makes talked about on this forum swear by the merits of die struck jewelry parts: Stuart Moore and Van Craeynest.

However... whether the pros and cons of either manufacturing method are terribly relevant for an eternity band, no idea. In the end, the finished look matter a whole lot more to me, and the WF band you have posted looks great!

The bands from facets even have a different look, no? Do they even do bead-set ones? Only remeber shared prong settings at Facets.
Thanks Valeria!

I was told my Facets that if they use less diamonds then the price would drop accordingly and they''d refund me the difference. If they require more diamonds then what they quoted me then they wouldn''t charge me the difference. I haven''t ask WF about this though.

Yes Facets doesn''t have any bead-set eternity bands on their site but they are willing to custom-make me one (unfortunately I won''t be able to return it if I don''t like it since it would be too hard for them to re-sell it (my ring finger size is not that common).

As I mention in one of the posts above I can''t recall them making any custom-made rings so I''m not sure if I should go with them...I''m now leaning to having WF making my ring.

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 11:53:31 AM
Author: denverappraiser

Both are right. The number of stones required will vary with the size of the stones and the nature of the setting.

A size 2 3/4 in 43.5mm in circumference along the inside and normally an eternity band will be about 2mm thick so the outside circumference is going to be about 56mm. The girdles of the stone will sit slightly below the outside surface. Bigger stones will require a thicker band to accommodate the depth. If you’re packing 1.7mm stones girdle to girdle, this means you’re looking at a maximum of about 30 stones. If you add a little bit of space between the stones or have a thinner ring, you can drop this to about 18 if you want. Bigger stones will require fewer but the total weight will be more.

If you want to specify the number of stones, you are likely to end up with a custom mounting, which will drive up the price considerably. Most eternity bands are made with stock mountings that accept a specific number of stones for the design and size, and they won’t all be the same when comparing different designs. Ask your selling jeweler how many stones fit in the design you like.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Thanks Neil for the info!

So if I understood correctly, if I want the 1.7mm diamonds to be placed girdle to girdle (as in the pic above), then it should be approx 30 diamonds? It can only be 18 diamonds if there''s space between the diamonds...right? I want the band to be 2.5mm wide.

I honestly don''t care how many diamonds there are in the ring as long as it looks identical to the pic in my original post. I think both vendors would have to create a custom mounting for my ring because of my ring size (but I can be wrong).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results