shape
carat
color
clarity

How long

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If one drops their ring, how long should they spend checking it for damage under a loupe would you say?

I just remember reading posts where posters have done this and said they spent 20 minutes and more, is this necessary or would one see a chip straight away with a loupe?. I feel like I would but then I have spent a lot of time looking under the loupe at the few smaller diamonds to half carat ones I own.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
also How long would a jeweller or expert spend looking at a diamond ring if someone came into the shop for them to inspect it after it has been dropped?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
10 minutes and 36 seconds... give or take a few minutes
9.gif

seriously pyramid, there is no given amount of time you should spend looking for a chip. depending on your eyes, the size of the chip and your experience in recognizing damage, it could take very little time...or very much!
37.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha Belle. I suppose if looking for nicks but a chip I would think would take with a loupe less than 1 minute, that''s why I thought like 20 minutes was too much time.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid are you worried you dropped one of your diamonds?????
39.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Lorelei.

No I haven''t dropped a ring but was just wondering after reading old posts about people inspecting them for ages and hours
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank goodness for that! I was a bit worried for you there!
32.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/25/2006 2:31:10 PM
Author:Pyramid
If one drops their ring, how long should they spend checking it for damage under a loupe would you say?

I just remember reading posts where posters have done this and said they spent 20 minutes and more, is this necessary or would one see a chip straight away with a loupe?. I feel like I would but then I have spent a lot of time looking under the loupe at the few smaller diamonds to half carat ones I own.
Hi Pyramid,
You actually bring up a great point! If you practice using a loupe, eventually you will be able to spot any unusual change in the appearance of
your diamond or setting in record time. It''s really important to check your diamond but don''t forget to check your prongs. Many folks are unaware when they snag a prong on nylon or fabric. If you just don''t feel comfortable using a loupe then trek on over to your local jeweler for a cleaning and checkup.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Modified Brilliant

So how long would a jeweller take to check over a diamond which has been dropped without knowing the stone intimately?

Anyone else?

Spartan

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 9:08:35 PM
Author: belle
10 minutes and 36 seconds... give or take a few minutes
9.gif

seriously pyramid, there is no given amount of time you should spend looking for a chip. depending on your eyes, the size of the chip and your experience in recognizing damage, it could take very little time...or very much!
37.gif
LOL! Belle, you took the thought right out of my head!

Seriously, Pyramid, do really think someone has the answer to this?? Sorry, but if you''re really that worried, take it to a jeweler. If time is that much of an issue to you (if that, indeed IS the issue) call them and ask how long it would take.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/26/2006 12:38:11 PM
Author: Pyramid
Modified Brilliant

So how long would a jeweller take to check over a diamond which has been dropped without knowing the stone intimately?

Anyone else?
Pyramid,
There really is no specified time to examine a diamond. A novice jeweler would take longer than a seasoned jeweler. Appraisers have trained eyes and we can usually find something "out of the norm" very quickly. It''s what we do everyday...clarity grading. Looking, searching, finding. For those not involved in this daily process...they could take a little longer to examine.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sourgirl

If it happens to any of my rings I probably would take it to a jeweller just to make sure. Hope I never have to though. I do think though with my loupe that I would see a chip in a matter of 5 seconds which was why when I read someone inspected a diamond for 2 hours after an accident in which she fell to the ground, I thought that time spent was not required.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Modified Brilliant

Thanks for your reply and expertise.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Examination of diamonds

If you are just looking for "damage" you could be fooling yourself.

Some types of inclusions are commonly mis-identified as damage. We see this with insurance claims, where people have made claims based on a jeweler''s incorrect assessment of an inclusion and termed it damage.

Indented naturals are very commonly thought of as damage even by non experienced jewelers. In my own experience I have met very few people even in the trade that are really competent using a loupe.

Since it is very common for a ring when hit to take the hit on the prong, one has to look under the prong for damage. THIS IS PARTICULARLY IMPORTANT for diamonds that were set with feathers "hidden" under the prongs. Using a loupe as Jeff mentioned requires quite a bit of practice, experience, and is far better to observe a diamond using a proper microscope which has the proper lighting.

In addition to damage, and depending on the type of setting, one should also examine throughly with a pin or tweezers to see if diamonds are loose by attempting to gently move them. In the areas where small stones are set with beads, such as the increasing popular halo type styles, frequent checking for loose stones should be done.

Conditions of prong tips is also important as well as looking between the diamond surface and the inner portion of the prong to make sure the stone is supported properly from the pavilion, as well as the inner bearing of the prong being place in such a way that the prong hasn''t lifted away from the diamond thus leaving a gap where threads could get caught the lift the prong further.

This is probably best done by someone like an appraiser or jeweler rather than doing it in the do it yourself mode.

The world the professional person like a gemologist "lives in" can sometimes require an analysis on fractions of a millimeter. Unless you''re really experienced at observing this in this type of "living" in this very small world, where 100 mm. equates to a world tour, it really is difficult to do this properly.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you RockDoc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results