shape
carat
color
clarity

How long to leave baby in rear-facing carseat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Legally it's a year and 20 lbs. But I am leaving them as long as they'll tolerate it. They're 13 mos and still rear facing now.

ETA: Many convertible seats won't let you rear face more than 25 lbs or so so it's worth checking when you buy. Part of the reason we got the Maxi Cosi Priori seats is because you can rear face until 35 lbs.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Check your carseat to see the maximum weight and height while rear facing. Some seats max out at 20-25 lbs for rear face.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what do they say about rear facing given how tall your kids might get? it seems like if you have a long child that you might want to front face them sooner? otherwise they are all scrunched depending on the seat?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 10:07:54 PM
Author: Mara
what do they say about rear facing given how tall your kids might get? it seems like if you have a long child that you might want to front face them sooner? otherwise they are all scrunched depending on the seat?

I am sure TGal will repost Amelia rear facing! She was still rear facing not too long ago and that girl is TALL. I think the guideline is 1 inch below the top of the carseat for their head. Amelia just crossed her legs I think.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
If your child reaches the max height, you must turn the seat around (if the child is at least 20 lbs and 1 yr old).

A friend of mine had all sorts of problems because her little girl was really tall very early. She had to special order a seat that allowed a higher height max.

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
coby is almost 15mo and i plan on rear-facing as long as he tolerates it (so far, he is PERFECTLY content).

and i absolutely and completely credit PS (and Tgal, in particular) for convincing me to do so!!

here is another good link:
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 10:12:47 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 1/12/2010 10:07:54 PM

I am sure TGal will repost Amelia rear facing! She was still rear facing not too long ago and that girl is TALL. I think the guideline is 1 inch below the top of the carseat for their head. Amelia just crossed her legs I think.
Hee, she STILL is rearfacing at 21.5 months. She''s 26 pounds and nearly 36 inches tall. Part of me wants to turn her around to give her a new view, but the sensible part of me is going to wait until at least 2 years old. Everyone thinks I''m nuts, but she''s still safe to rearface and doesn''t complain (after a minor period when she cried when I put her in, but that didn''t last very long.)

There was a video I posted awhile back that convinced me. Of course, being a sappy mom now, it made me cry too, but it sealed the deal for me. I refused to turn my kid around when all my friends were turning their kids right when they hit age one. And showing them this video made no difference...I''ll never understand why a baby throwing a tanty in the car is scarier than what can happen to a one year old front facing in a front impact accident, but that''s JMHO and I pretty well sit alone in this opinion in my current social circle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
TGal, I don''t think you''re nuts at all.

We''re planning on rear-facing to the limits of the seat.

By the way, I think that Radian just came out with a new seat that rear-faces to 45 lbs. One of my friends was thinking about getting it as her kid has outgrown the rear-facing limits of her seat.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting the U tube TGal. That really brings it home.
5.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Rear facing is the safest option for babies and toddlers. DD will stay rear facing in her infant seat until the max (30lbs and/or 30in). I also plan on purchasing a rear facing convertible and am doing research on it now.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
TGal-that video is part of the reason that I want to rear face as long as possible. Some ladies on another site rear face at 3yrs old. There was also some data that even if their legs are against the seat, it is still safe but don''t quote me. I need to look at the links I have saved.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot remember how long the boys were rear facing however I do recall I left both boys that way as long as possible!

Like TGal, I'm probably in the "nuts" category as both of my elementary kids are still in booster seats. None of their other friends are and my 9 year old complains about having one, but I can see that the seatbelt still extends across his neck (when not in his booster) and that makes me VERY nervous so up he goes.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
eeeee i def don''t want to watch any videos that might freak me out.

i remember talking to a friend re: tall kids and how the debate amongst moms was kind of about..well if your kid is really tall and legs are scrunched to back seat, if there is an impact, what about broken legs? so isn''t it kind of risky either way?

i don''t know how long we''ll rf for but i guess we''ll figure it out.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a summary on what the AAP recommends: http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

I also read somewhere that they are considering changing toe recommendation to 2 years.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 11:54:47 PM

i remember talking to a friend re: tall kids and how the debate amongst moms was kind of about..well if your kid is really tall and legs are scrunched to back seat, if there is an impact, what about broken legs? so isn''t it kind of risky either way?

Better a broken leg than a broken head KWIM?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 12:06:29 AM

Better a broken leg than a broken head KWIM?
Yep!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
nauseating either way nf!

cara

Ideal_Rock
eeeee i def don't want to watch any videos that might freak me out.

i remember talking to a friend re: tall kids and how the debate amongst moms was kind of about..well if your kid is really tall and legs are scrunched to back seat, if there is an impact, what about broken legs? so isn't it kind of risky either way?

i don't know how long we'll rf for but i guess we'll figure it out.

There is only a baby dummy in the car if you are game, but from my nonprofessional viewing I don't see how baby legs are as likely to get broken in a rear facing seat as baby head/brain/neck might get injured in a front facing. The video might make this more clear, but imagine a car runs into something head-on and suddenly deccelerates. Baby body continues forward, except as restrained by the seat.

In a rear-facing seat, the torso and head are flung into the car seat, which they are already positioned against so they do not experience significant movement. The legs fly forward somewhat, towards the head, but don't really experience anything that looks like it would *break* the leg. Its not like the rear seat of the car is often going to be crashing forward into the baby's seat. Maybe a creaky older person would have some hip strain doing that with their legs, but kids are pretty flexy. Either way, doesn't seem likely to do permanent damage.

In the front facing seat, well, the baby's head is thrown forward, constrained only by attachment to the neck, which is attached to the chest and which is securely restrained by the car seat straps. And kids have massive heads relative to their body size, so you can imagine bad whiplash-like injuries. I don't actually think a skull fracture is that likely - just like a leg fracture doesn't look that likely. But the soft tissue injuries? Brain sloshes against skull, neck ligaments experience all kinds of strain, and then there is the spinal cord/column. Eek. For a front-facing seat to be safer, it should probably have one of those Hans device thingys that some race car drivers have to restrain their heads.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
MP my pediatrician said that the American Academy of Pediatrics actually revised their guidelines in April 2009 and now recommends that children remain rear-facing until they are 2 years old (unless they exceed the carseat height/weight limits before then). She reminds me of this each time I take my little one in for his well baby visit
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mara, it won''t freak you out. It will give you something to chew on.

I saw somewhere (but don''t know how legit the data is) that no one has ever broken a leg as a result of a front impact accident while rearfacing.

And really, broken legs over a detached head or spinal damage? I''ll take it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 12:43:55 AM
Author: sbde
MP my pediatrician said that the American Academy of Pediatrics actually revised their guidelines in April 2009 and now recommends that children remain rear-facing until they are 2 years old (unless they exceed the carseat height/weight limits before then). She reminds me of this each time I take my little one in for his well baby visit
1.gif

Although I don''t disagree with your pediatrician''s suggestions AAofP did not revise their guidelines to say 2 (yet). They still say minimum 1 yr/ 20 lbs. But they also suggest that you keep them rear facing as long as you can.

Here are their 2010 guidelines:
http://www.healthychildren.org/english/safety-prevention/on-the-go/pages/Car-Safety-Seats-Information-for-Families-09.aspx

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had mistakenly thought that we would have to go forward facing when Hunter was 30 inches tall, but apparently he can stay rear facing until 35lbs and 40inches tall (12-15inches to the shoulder) in our Britax Roundabout. This makes me really happy to know, I plan to keep him that way until he hits that limit.

Lucky for me he is a very compliant child
2.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
We turned A around at 14 months because her legs are so long and looked scrunched against the seat. I thought we were supposed to based on state and manufacturer guidelines. Now you have me re-thinking that decision.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
We switched our son to forward facing a couple weeks ago. So almost 21 months and approx. 28 lbs.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 12:05:42 AM
Author: fiery
Here''s a summary on what the AAP recommends: http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

I also read somewhere that they are considering changing toe recommendation to 2 years.
That should be "the" lol! And making link clicky.

Dreamer-I''m glad to read that about the Britax. Sophia is only 17/18lbs so I''m thinking she can stay in her infant seat for much longer but then realized she''s already 28in!
6.gif
Need to purchase a convertible asap

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I''m the crazy mom who switched all my kids around when they turned one. All met the height and weight requirements and I do know there is a push to change the law to require them to rear face until 2, which I would have followed.

MC-both my older kids are in boosters too. It''s actually law in my state they have to be in a booster until they are 8 years old AND 80 lbs. my oldest is almost 8 but only 50 lbs. If she takes after me, she won''t be out of the booster until the 8th grade which is when i finally hit the 80 lb mark
40.gif
. I do agree that the height is more of a concern and don''t want the seatbelt across the neck so my kids will stay in the boosters and riding in the back seat until they are a lot taller.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
There are car seats available in the UK that will rear face until the child is around 4 years (can''t remember the height and weight restrictions). I have one and it isn''t convertible, so Amelia will be looking at the back of the back seat until she starts school, non negotiable.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 1:23:01 AM

Date: 1/13/2010 12:43:55 AM
Author: sbde
1.gif

Although I don''t disagree with your pediatrician''s suggestions AAofP did not revise their guidelines to say 2 (yet). They still say minimum 1 yr/ 20 lbs. But they also suggest that you keep them rear facing as long as you can.

Here are their 2010 guidelines:
http://www.healthychildren.org/english/safety-prevention/on-the-go/pages/Car-Safety-Seats-Information-for-Families-09.aspx
perhaps it is more of a revised recommendation than a change to their official guidelines? i know my ped has the new reco posted all over her office, but i can''t seem to find much on the AAP website other than this article:

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/citation/30/4/12

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Once they graduate to booster seats, can''t you get one of those attachments for the seatbelt so it doesn''t cut across their neck? I would have been SO pissed at my mom if she made me use a booster seat until I reached the requirements - I am short, I was slight as a child, and I would have ended up stuck in that booster until I was about 15 years old, which is ridiculously embarrassing for a teenager!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results