shape
carat
color
clarity

How long have you been married? Compared to Upgrade/Reset?

How many years have you been married?

• Not yet married.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Newlywed (first year of marriage)

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • 1-2 years.

• 3-5 years.

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • 6-10 years.

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • 11-15 years.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • 16-20 years.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • 21-25 years.

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • 26-30 years.

• 31+ years.

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: How long have you been married? Compared to Upgrade/Rese

Back to the topic at hand :cheeky: . . . Sometimes I wonder if some of us are naturally upgraders, while others are collectors.

Me? I wouldn't want to own more than a couple really expensive rings because I like to wear everything I own. So, I'm more of an upgrader for that reason.

OTOH, some people are collectors and they prefer to have a lot of variety, so I wonder if they're less likely to upgrade and more likely to collect multiple pieces.

So, I guess I'd be curious about how *many* pieces of fine jewelry rings people own in addition to whether they've upgraded and how many times.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

*frantically looking up synecdoche pronunciation at dictionary.com [thank god for the internet!]*

Haven, now I'm really curious -- how did you mispronounce despot that made you actually drop the class?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Haven|1340230524|3220589 said:
Back to the topic at hand :cheeky: . . . Sometimes I wonder if some of us are naturally upgraders, while others are collectors.

Me? I wouldn't want to own more than a couple really expensive rings because I like to wear everything I own. So, I'm more of an upgrader for that reason.

OTOH, some people are collectors and they prefer to have a lot of variety, so I wonder if they're less likely to upgrade and more likely to collect multiple pieces.

So, I guess I'd be curious about how *many* pieces of fine jewelry rings people own in addition to whether they've upgraded and how many times.

Ooo, good expansion! I'm definitely a collector, to the point that even where I have my husband's full encouragement to upgrade the setting on my anniversary ring, I just can't make myself do it, 'cause sinking that much cash into one piece makes me twitchy (long story short, last year was the five year anniversary of our being together, this year is the five year anniversary of our marriage, and we each value a different one - so we split the symbolism :D ). For each of our previous anniversaries I've gotten an eternity band, and I think it needs to stop, either with the big ring, or maybe with one last eternity (a french cut eternity like Harriet's calls my name), just because ... dude, if I tried to stack them all it would be on the level of body modification. So I've decided to either get a watch, or start a new tradition, like maybe a different shape each year for a charm bracelet of different diamond shapes.

As to why I'm like this? I blame the parents. Seriously, it wasn't a special occasion at our house without a touchstone to mark it, sometimes big, sometimes small. That's a hard habit to break. :Up_to_something:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bunch of :wacko: ladies... :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe, Haven, I'm laughing out loud :bigsmile:

I've done my fair share of mispronunciation - I just always blamed it on having an accent. We moved around enough that I figured it was a viable explanation (I probably wasn't fooling anyone but myself :halo: )

That *is* an interesting question! I only have a few pieces that I'd consider "fine jewellery" - my studs, my bracelet, my ring, a heavy gold chain and a couple of gold bracelets. There are some family pieces but they aren't really mine, just mine to watch over until they pass to someone else, and I wouldn't wear them anyway ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe|1340231623|3220608 said:

Ooo, good expansion! I'm definitely a collector, to the point that even where I have my husband's full encouragement to upgrade the setting on my anniversary ring, I just can't make myself do it, 'cause sinking that much cash into one piece makes me twitchy (long story short, last year was the five year anniversary of our being together, this year is the five year anniversary of our marriage, and we each value a different one - so we split the symbolism :D ). For each of our previous anniversaries I've gotten an eternity band, and I think it needs to stop, either with the big ring, or maybe with one last eternity (a french cut eternity like Harriet's calls my name), just because ... dude, if I tried to stack them all it would be on the level of body modification. So I've decided to either get a watch, or start a new tradition, like maybe a different shape each year for a charm bracelet of different diamond shapes.

As to why I'm like this? I blame the parents. Seriously, it wasn't a special occasion at our house without a touchstone to mark it, sometimes big, sometimes small. That's a hard habit to break. :Up_to_something:

Circe,I blame my parents too, darn them. ;)) We celebrated every "special" occasion also with a momentous gift. And they spoiled us as kids. We were good kids don't get me wrong but (and I cannot believe I am saying this) a bit too spoiled. And when we were on our own it was tougher getting acquainted with reality if you KWIM. So even though I am way too old to (continue to :cheeky: ) blame them for anything I reserve the right to do so when it makes me feel better.

I have too much stuff and the never ending desire for more. My dh loves to purchase lots of stuff too but the difference is when he makes a purchase he usually gets rid of something as he is very organized and allergic to clutter of any kind. I mean, if you open the man's closet you would be amazed. Everything just so. Everything in its place and looking lovely. Right out of a home design magazine. I am not kidding. Open my closets at your own risk however. :bigsmile:

Back to the question- I think I am both a collector and upgrader. Is that possible? The only reason I wouldn't be able to upgrade my diamond and keep the one I have is financial but if I could I certainly would. :appl: So while I wear very few pieces of jewelry at a time being the style minimalist I am I enjoy owning lots of pretty jewels. :love: But I have lots of trouble getting rid of any, even what I am not wearing. Makes no sense. Not a bit.

But I vacillate b/w wanting to keep my ER forever because it is beautiful and upgrading one day to a 5 carat because I have tried on 5 carats and it looks AMAZING on my hand. AMAZING. :love:

ETA: married 8 years, reset 3 times. Once before we got married and twice more within the first 2 years if I am remembering correctly. So I have been wearing my current ER for about 6 years and no reset in sight. Though my dh is onboard with whatever I want to do. But if I ever reset it will be because I am upgrading the diamond and no plans to do that anytime in the near (or far) future. Too many expenses on the horizon and it ranks as very unimportant to me in the grand scheme of things. Ofc, if we win the lottery all bets are off. :naughty: Now I just need to remember to play the lottery...

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock

I started with a solitaire and upgrades to a 3 stone after almost 5 years (in Dec. 2008). Last year I upgraded the centre stone to one that was 2 grades higher in clarity (and .10 c bigger and wentfrom a h to an E in colour). I don't intend to change anything again. I have the same 3mm comfort fit wedding band though. It'll be 8 years in September.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have been married 21 years - next week. My first ering was .21 ctw with a center diamond .15. I had a ring guard for it that added .6 ctw and an anniversary band that was .33 ctw. I wore those rings for 16 years. I bought myself a 1/2 ct. diamond heart solitaire RHR and quickly decided I wanted to wear it as my wedding ring. I got an anniversary band to wear with it and wore it for about a month or two but since it was not the nicest diamond I quickly decided I wanted something nicer. We picked out a .53 ct round diamond and got a .33 ctw PC wedding set to mount it in. I really missed my anniversary band so traded in the PC rings for an anniversary band and a .30 ctw ering that made my ering a 3 stone ring. For Christmas 2010 I decided to look at upgrading my diamond to a 3/4 ct. Once we tried it in my ering we decided it looked pretty much the same so we got a solitaire for the new diamond. We didn't like my anniversary band with the solitaire so we picked out another one. They are both 1/2 ctw but the one I have now has more diamonds so it was thinner. I upgraded the 3/4 to a 1 ct diamond in May of 2011. I toy with getting a diamond accent ering or different anniversary band but I am pretty happy with how they look.

My original ering ring now has a spinel in it and the diamonds out of the ering are in a pendant. The heart diamond was put in to a sapphire semi mount and I wear it as a RHR.

heartcollage.gif

mcwedrings.gif

mynewrings (2).JPG

wedset.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I traded my diamond in after one week...is that technically an upgrade? We got the stone and then realized that it hideous and went back and exchanged it and I got a beautiful stone that I've been wearing ever since. Been married 14 years, but wore the eng ring for a few years before then.

Not sure if I'll ever upgrade... I actually like my stone and am happy with wearing it for the rest of my life, but would like it reset at some point. Really, if someone gave me $10K and forced me to buy only jewelry (no furniture, which I'm aching to do), I'd probably get more earrings and then reset my current tiny little stone. I'm not much of a ring person, actually... I prefer to play around with earrings and pendants.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It'll be 14 years in August. My original set is a .33 center stone with a wrap (0.25-.33ctw?) that act as my engagement ring (.33 is from hubby, I won the wrap) and our wedding bands have maybe 0.10 diamonds. I wore this set for 11+ years then noticed that my wb was being worn down from my ER. Moved the WB to my right hand, purchased a Scattered Band to wear w/my ER.

Hubby has known since the beginning that I wanted a larger diamond, so upgrade has always been on the table, but not really upgrade but addition to the collection. I thought I could trade in my original, but when it came down to it I couldn't part with my original. I will never get rid of my original WB, esp since I've never seen another one like it AND hubby's matching was stolen. I am a bit of a sap. :D

In *my* master scheming plan, I want to get a 5-stone (ideally an Aurora! am SO sad ;( that Dreamer's is a FANTASTIC price, w/me having NO funds ;( ) for my 15th anniversary. I feel that I'm making up for all the anniversaries where we were REALLY poor that presents were miniscule...

After the 5 stone, maybe a few more stackers, the problem is since the burglary, I am wanting to wear everything that I have more often. I only have 2 fingers to wear rings on (Yes, I know others wear more on other fingers, but that's just not "me"). Am totally wanting a tennis bracelet (a "daily" one), and some nice studs and huggies. I'm pretty happy with that. Mother's rings don't appeal to me, but stackers w/my kids birthstones would be awesome....

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We will be married 32 years July 12. I traded in my first engagement ring at about 5 years. I have never regretted it. I hated that ring.
We paid $250. for it and I traded it in for $900. I have never been sorry. I wore the next set until our 29th anniversary, and I still have it,
along with our matching wedding bands. I would never get rid of either. In fact, I find my self wearing that set again more and more.

Next upgrade was to a 1.7 round, and it wasn't quite big enough so I upgraded again to 2.57. I don't think I will upgrade again. I do love
all the OMC's and AVC's though!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock

I wrote some about this on the other upgrade thread, so I'll try not to replicate. I still love my wedding set as much as I did the first day I wore it (would not consider parting with it), but after about a year or two, I realized I wanted more flash and pizazz. We started discussing it at year 2ish-3ish, and started working with our jeweler right before year 4. My e-ring is a .62 EC solitaire, and my 5-year anniversary ring is 2.01 ctw (40 pointers) OECs. It's a pretty striking difference! One of my co-workers saw it and said "if this is what happens for 5 years, what are you going to do for 20?" Hmmm, good question.... 8)

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock

Been married for 2 years now and I haven't upgraded. My e-ring is a .33 carat white gold solitaire that was K's grandmother's ering. My w-band has 3 tiny little diamonds in it and is also from the 30s-40s. I know that my set is tiny, especially by PS standards, but it also kind of suits me. I'm not super flashy and I use my hands a lot, so part of me feels like a big or blingy ring might get in the way. If I do end up upgrading at some point in the future, so be it, but for now it's not a top priority.

The thing that cracks me up is that K got me 1CTW diamond studs for a wedding gift. Each of the diamonds in those earrings is bigger than the one in my engagement ring!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock

We've been married 11 years, and were engaged 2.5 years before that. I've upgraded twice, and plan on at least one more. We were just babies when we got engaged (19 & 20). DH bought a 1/2cttw Zales ring in yellow gold with a tiny marquise center, and said someday we would replace it with a 1/2ct marquise. 2 years after the wedding, the yellow gold started turning my finger black, and I was tired of the "old" style of my ring. I picked up a beautiful engraved white gold set 2nd had, and put a 1.25ct pear shaped CZ in the setting, which was supposed to be temporary until we could find and afford a diamond for it. As we approached our 5th anniversary I still had the CZ, and the engraving was starting to wear down since I never had the rings soldered. We decided to sell them and go for something simpler with a real diamond instead of getting the pear. I ended up with a platinum Scott Kay setting with a .94ct oval set E/W. I'm hoping for our 25th to get a 2ct oval and set it with the sapphire trillions out of the ring DH gave me on our wedding night.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

I am neither a collector nor an upgrader. I am an adorner. :cheeky:

Basically I don't like to buy a lot of rings. I currently have a wedding set and 3 RHRs (one of which I probably won't wear often and will save for my daughter (Beaudry ring). My Amelia ring, I also will wear far less in an effort to keep it in lovely condition for her. I pretty much wear my wedding set and my 40th birthday RHR set. The former represents what we thought I might be worth when he asked me to marry him. The latter represents what we know I'm worth AFTER I married him and popped out a kid! :bigsmile:

I love jewelry, so I go to other parts of my body to adorn. Watch, earrings, necklace, etc. I don't have a collection of those either. I think I have bracelet left to go, and maybe toe rings, hahaha! I tend to fork over some nice change for each item, so it takes time between projects.

jacy

Shiny_Rock

I love reading all of these stories of upgrades and changes to the wedding set. I've worn the same pear solitaire e-ring for 22 years. DH and I picked out the stone pre-cert. days with no clue as to what to look for in a good pear cut. All we were told by the little family run jeweler was that it is "well cut." It's a .78ct F SI1, and from what I have learned on PS, it seems to fall under the excellent cut parameters (whew!). It also has strong blue fluor, which we had no knowledge of at the time. I've always wanted to upgrade to just over a one ct, but now after wearing my pear for so many years, I don't think I could part with it. Last year, I had to part with my channel set baguette eternity band because the gold on the channel had worn down so much. The band would need to be remade and some stones replaced that were chipped. It was so cost prohibitve, that I realized I would be better off just starting over with a brand new band. So with mixed feelings, I traded it in for my seven-stone shared prong band, which I have grown to love. I have recently fallen in love with cushion cuts, but like I said, I don't think I could part with my pear!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

How long have you been married? Do you think that relates to the number of times you have upgraded or the size of your current stone?d

I was married once, by mistake, for almost 10 years. I am quite certain that there would have been NO e-ring upgrade, evah, and I actually think my ex still owed money on the .75ct engagement ring he gave me, because he was of the mentality that his debts were going to outlive him, so why not just keep on racking up debts and enjoying the good life, so long as you can get away with making minimum payments. I gave the .75ct back to him and sent him back to his mother so that she could finish her job of raising him. Given the drunken, drugging, wife-beating, girlfriend-beating, and financially ruined state of all the local bachelors, and that a number of them and /or their children have prison records, I do not believe a husband upgrade is possible in my natural lifetime, unless I relocate. >;-)

Diamonds, however, I both collect AND upgrade. I only quit because 1) I have more than enough of them now, I only wear them around the house, and 2) the price hikes irked me and made me stop playing the upgrade game. When I gave back the .75ct, I went out and bought myself a 1ct, so I definitely upgraded there.

Bella4135

Rough_Rock

Hi all, my husband and I have been married for 9 years and I still wear my original ering, which has a .52 carat round brilliant as the center stone. Truly, I have always thought my stone was too small for the setting....probably since I remember our jeweler telling us the smallest recommended diamond for my setting is .75 :sick: ... Ideally I would like to up it to a 1.25 for our 10 anniversary. I don't have a lot of jewelry in general because I only wear a few key pieces (ering, diamond stud earrings, a right hand ring, diamond pendant) and I don't like to buy things that will just sit in my jewelry box. Rather, I tend to upgrade what I have. Last year, I upgraded my diamond studs from .50 carat total weight to 1.25 carat total weight. So I tend to try to go as big as I can since those opportunities for upgrade don't come very often! I also like to "recycle" and will have our family jeweler create new things using our old gold..

blingymo

Shiny_Rock

I am pretty new to PS (just found you last week!) and thank goodness I found a list of acronyms! I LOVE jewelry, especially diamonds, and even my students know I like to sparkle. They often give me sparkly gifts or cards.

We had our 25th anniversary last week, and were engaged for two years. I have the same set (which I will try to attach) the whole time. When we got engaged, the stone I got was amazing! I didn't know anyone who had such a nice e-ring and never thought about upgrading. It is a 1.68 RB, F, SI2 (but I can't see anything in it!). As I have grown up :) I have realized what is out there! I drool over huge diamonds and I WANT one!! For our fifteenth anniversary I got a tanzanite, opal, diamond ring and bracelet in St. Maarten. For our 20th I got a channel set white and blue diamond ring that I wear almost every day. Last week my husband told me to buy something for our 25th and gave me $5000. After poking around a bit, I was settling on finding a spessartite garnet and making a ring (love rings!), but then I started thinking (again) about upgrading. As I like to say, I really was meant to be a princess and have access to the crown jewels!

Now I just don't know what to do. I don't think I can really do much upgrading with the budget I have. I could go back to the original store where we bought my ring (it still around and I have had them keep the appraisal up to date as of 2002 - I need to do it again - for insurance). But after 27 years, if I added the original cost of my stone to the $5000 I have now, I could not get as nice a stone as I already have. I would downgrade LOL. Maybe that is not how it works - I am just lost about the process and amazed that so many people upgrade over and over! I don't know anyone who has done that. I also am a little sad to trade in, because I do like my set and don't want to regret it, but boy do I want a bigger stone!!

Maybe I need to tuck that $5000 away and add to it and get something for our 30th - after all, I am going to have 2 kids in college next year. I don't want to give hubby a nervous breakdown!

So what do you all think? What would you do? What is even possible for me to do, if anything? mine1_1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results