shape
carat
color
clarity

How long does it usually take for scratches to be polished/buffed out of a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey everyone,

I know every ring is different, so this question might be difficult to answer, but I would like some opinions. I had a ring custom made a few years ago and the band is made of 22k gold and hammered. Over time ofcourse it has accumulated some scratches and also needs to be sized up a little. I know the sizing part doesn''t take long at all.

I asked the woman who designed the ring if I would be able to wait while she got some of the scratches out and sized it for me. I''m willing to wait an hour or so, maybe leave for even 2 hours and come back and pick it up, because she works out of her house and it''s a bit far from me to drive to. She told me I''d have to leave it with her. Does something like this normally take so long?

Thanks for the feedback :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She may have other "orders" lined up with higher priority? It is normal to leave the ring with the jeweller to get the work done. A good benchperson is not going to rush any job, but do the best they can even if it takes a little longer.

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey,

It's not really a big job so I didn't think it was necessary to leave it, just needed it to be cleaned up a bit. I was just curious if it's standard procedure to leave a ring for something like this, so thanks for the feedback :)

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well, she works out of her home I believe, so it''s not a jeweler/jewelry store I would be dealing with. I guess I am just not super comfy with leaving the ring in someones home for an undetermined amount of time.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless there''s some bad juju between you, leave it with her to do whats necessary. She''s the designer and you obviously trusted her to make the ring.

I''ve left things at my jeweler for weeks. Its not a big deal to me as I trust him to do what he needs to do (he does not rush and will tell you straight out if you want a rush job he''s the wrong person to go to)

Also as she''s a one person show, I would assume that also too, having her do that "one little thing" for you would take her away from other clients. like anyone that takes clients in any type of business, there''s a schedule that has to be adhered to in order to make all clients happy.

-A

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
For what you are describing, I'd expect to be working on the ring from 1/2 hour to an hour. However, I work out of my home as well and would not be comfortable entertaining clients there, especially while I'm busy working. There are security and liability concerns. If you don't trust her, I'd take your business elsewhere. However, she's probably looking out for her own safety as well as the security of other clients' projects she has going.

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes Distinction, exactly. It is a security and liability issue also. Also, God forbid anything happens to it I have no proof that I even left it with her, which is not the case when you are dealing with a business. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take more than 2 hours to do,probably even less than that. There are some minor scratches and sizing I know sizing takes no time at all.

Thanks again for the input.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
There is no reason you can''t get a signed receipt from her describing the ring, the date it was left with her, and the work agreed to. When I have taken things in to be fixed before, I always leave it with the jeweler and get a receipt stating these things -- sometimes typed, but more often handwritten. I would only be concerned if she wasn''t willing to give you a receipt.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results