shape
carat
color
clarity

How long can you tolerate noisy party that keeps you awake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
So you are given warning that there is going to be teenagers party in your neighborhood.In the past party at this particular house was always big trouble with police and everything else.Talking to the adults is useless as they don''t care how you feel or if you get any sleep for that matter.If any of their kid''s guests damages anyone''s car they claim that it was " uninvited guest" and they tell you to file a police report and take legal action if you wish.
You know you won''t be able to sleep that night unless you are lucky to be away on holidays your night is basically ruined.You hope that the party won''t get out of hand and the street ,cars parked etc will be intact.

1.just let it be and don''t do anything?
2.If you decide to call the authorities do you wait until it gets out of hand and then call?
3.Do you wait until certain time and things gets really noisy to call?
3.Any other suggestions?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t let it be if they were keeping me awake. I have enough trouble trying to sleep.

2.If you decide to call the authorities do you wait until it gets out of hand and then call?
I call as soon as the noise level is enough to keep me up, or if I''m sleeping and it wakes me up, OR if there are excessive cars parked along the street. I don''t get it get out of hand.

If it''s before ten-eleven, then I''ll let it be. If it''s after eleven I''m going to get aggravated, and call. The only time I don''t call the cops is when it''s my next door neighbor and I can just hop over there and ask her to keep things down.

3.Any other suggestions?
If it''s interfering with your sleep, I''d call. That''s BS.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.just let it be and don''t do anything? Depends on how long it goes on for.

2.If you decide to call the authorities do you wait until it gets out of hand and then call? If I saw anything happening that I would class as illegal or destructive, I would call then.

3.Do you wait until certain time and things gets really noisy to call? I have a neighbour who has a huge party once a year. I always end up calling the noise control officer at around 11.30pm. They just get louder and louder the more drunk they get

I have children and the noise can get really annoying when I am trying to get them to sleep. Especially the youngest one. I wouldn''t hesitate to call if it was so loud that they couldn''t get to sleep.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I can''t tolerate it at all. If it''s a weeknight where I have to get up at the butt crack of dawn... 9 pm. That''s when I talk to the neighbors, and if that doesn''t help, I will not hesitate to call the police and complain. If it''s the weekend... A little later. But if they are really disturbing me and others, I will give the cops a call. I don''t care- I need my peace!

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
my neighborhood is always noisy (huge rumbling trucks, fighting couples, wailing babies, impromptu banjo night upstairs until 2 am). i don''t do anything. it would be different if i lived in the suburbs, but here i''ve resigned myself to sleeping with ear plugs.

if i hear fighting or things breaking. it''s probably too late, but otherwise, i wouldn''t call if it was just loud music and talking.

1.30am seems like a good time to call on Friday or Saturday. Sunday through Thursday, 11.30 pm.

3.Any other suggestions?
ear plugs? maybe try parking your car a few streets over to avoid possible damage? i also find that a nightcap helps put me in a deep sleep
2.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I might stay with a friend or go to a hotel if I could, I hate the whole commotion there and it sounds like they are jerks. If someone hits your car they are not taking any of the responsibility and it sounds out of control to me.

If you cannot leave, move your car away from the area is you safely can, get some ear plugs and be prepared to call if it is later than 1:30 am. You might ask to be unnamed as you do not want issues with them, and if they are allowing kids under 21 to drink that is bad news to me...

Sorry you have to deal with this, I hate stuff like this!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh Scarleta, I am so sorry, that is awful. I hope you come to a good solution; can you stay with a friend? How often does this happen and is it the same people? What do the other neighbors say? Does your city have a noise ordinance level?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
If it is after 12am on a weekend, call the cops.

If it is after 11pm on a weekday, call the cops.

There are noise ordinances, and I have always insisted that they be adhered to. I don''t let the ''boys in blue'' tell me that they''ve spoken to the revelers about the noise. No. I want it broken up, and everyone going home. Period.

Geez, I am old.
20.gif

But, you know, it''s your neighborhood too. Why should you have to put up with crap? My motto is: don''t.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
The whole point of telling the neighbors that there will be a party is to hope for some forebearance and tolerance re noise and parking. If you want to be that neighbor that calls and complains you don''t really need a bunch of internet folks to validate you
2.gif

I would understand that they were having a party and ignore it entirely as a special occasion. If it were EVERY weekend I might talk with them after the first few weeks, but I''m a tolerant neighbor for the most part. It''s just not THAT big of an imposition to let the neighbors have the occasional party IMO.

BTW I''m 55 and not some teenager myself
10.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our neighbors used to drive us crazy!!! They would have a party every single weekend. Our bedroom faces their garage and they would blast their mexican music and I mean blast it. DH, at first would ask them kindly to please lower it, so we could sleep and they ignored him. He asked them many many times.

Their parties lasted, until 3:00a.m. Finally, DH had enough and began calling the police.

These neighbors finally moved 2 months ago. Now we get peace and quiet. Hooooooray.

Linda

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a party patrol number to call. New Mexico is super serious about not having drunk drivers. If we can prevent them from driving, that likely means a)they won''t get a DWI b)they won''t get into an accident (a skateboarder got hit by a drunk driver, and now a few months later, he''s out of a coma and learning to walk again) c)they won''t hurt anyone.

Seriously, NM doesn''t mess around with DWI/DUIs, but especially here in ABQ. I think it has a lot to do with our Mayor...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2008 12:20:28 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
OH ME ME ME!! I can help you with this!!! (because I took about a gazillion of this EXACT call last night!)

1. Call the NON-emergency number of your local police when it begins unless there is an actual dire emergency.. I hate to admit, its a low priority for noise complaints and the earlier you call, the more expedient the call is formatted and goes out to units.
2. See if your area has a Noise Abatement department and file a complaint with them also/Find out if the house has prior premise information/chronic party complaints.
3. Take as much information as possible to provide to police when they call ie:
~ Where is the party
~ How many people/How many vehicles/Are they parked illegally?/PROVIDE PLATES & descriptions IF YOU CAN to the dispatcher.
~ Ages of the people/do you know them? Provide descriptions if possible.
~ Are they 'relieving' themselves in public? If so this is important to tell dispatch!!
~ Is there drinking/under age drinking (which is a separate code) If so, please provide to the info to the dispatcher.
~ Do you see or hear weapons?

Normally, parties can be held until 10pm, (different in other areas I'm sure but that's what it is in SD County) after 10pm. Never put yourself in danger going outside to get information, its not worth it. Don't wait until midnight to contact police due to the priority level, depending on how busy they are will depend on response time.

It is NOT ok for the party goers to be belligerent. Its ok to party but not ok to annoy the neighborhood.

I hope this helps.. !!!
35.gif

Hugs~
Dispatcher Michelle
9.gif
SDL you're so cute.

Our neighborhood is so quiet...I've been here for a little over two years and I've heard music I think THREE times. And the last two times it was Spanish music, which is by far my favorite, so I was actually enjoying it! haha

BUT - to answer the question, I would not tolerate it well if there were parties every weekend or loud music during the week (antyhing after 11 P.M.). I'm not sure I would feel comfortable to go and knock on the person's door though...I would probably just call the community security personnel and let them take it from there (I live in a gated community).

ETA: I would have NO tolerance for the situation you described, where there have been problems in the past, and nobody seems to care...warning that there was going to be a party or not. The warning is "nice" only if the people aren't in the habit of throwing loud parties and not caring what happens.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 2:57:19 AM
Author:scarleta

So you are given warning that there is going to be teenagers party in your neighborhood.In the past party at this particular house was always big trouble with police and everything else.Talking to the adults is useless as they don''t care how you feel or if you get any sleep for that matter.If any of their kid''s guests damages anyone''s car they claim that it was '' uninvited guest'' and they tell you to file a police report and take legal action if you wish.
You know you won''t be able to sleep that night unless you are lucky to be away on holidays your night is basically ruined.You hope that the party won''t get out of hand and the street ,cars parked etc will be intact.

3.Any other suggestions?
I would first wait to see if it even bothers you to begin with. It wouldn''t be fair to make a hassle about it now.

For us, if it''s the weekend we don''t say anything. People are entitled to enjoy the weekend as they wish. If it''s during the weekday, we wait until midnight to see if the noise has settled. If it hasn''t, we''ll call security.

*Note: this is coming from someone that does not have children*

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Full disclosure: I live in a college dorm, and there are quite a few parties. I also study a ridiculous amount and need relative quiet. When I have the opportunity to get some sleep I want it, darnit!

Usually this is what I do. Living in a place where there are parties somewhere in the [not very large] building literally every night, I do have to choose my battles. People like to have fun, and I get that. I have NO problem whatsoever calling our campus police if I think it''s an over-the-top event.

I definitely wait until it gets out of hand. I wouldn''t call *just* because someone was having a party. I don''t want to be that girl, ya know? ;-) If I know a certain person usually has annoying parties, I am usually inclined to call earlier rather than later.

We have certain hours where residents have to be relatively quiet and those have to be adhered to. I feel 100% justified calling campus police if it''s one of those times. The times are pretty darn generous; last year it was midnight on weeknights, and 2am on weekends. I usually stay up late, but when I am up late I am studying and can''t deal with people being irritating. During final exams I will call at ANY time during the day. Everyone is on the same schedule, so there is NO excuse.

3.Any other suggestions?
Your situation is different than mine, but it sounds like your neighbors have a pattern of behavior with their parties, and that behavior is both noisy and destructive. If I were you I''d call ahead of time to let someone know the party is happening, and what has happened in the past. If it gets worse later on make sure something is done about it.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
At our last apartment we had a neighbor that brought several drunken friends over every week and would laugh and play super loud music in their bedroom, which shared a wall with ours. It was ridiculous, I hated them so much. After we called the cops on them three times, they finally learned that if we slammed into the wall on our side, to TURN IT DOWN and STFU or the cops would be coming. Freke is right, NM is all about breaking up stupid parties.

If you want to party, that''s great, just be considerate of others.

So for the OP, DON''T WAIT. Call right away, and make sure your car is parked out of harms way.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Just an after thought to my previous post- My current neighbors are noisy and annoying ALL of the time, so I don''t hesitate to talk to them or the cops... If they were never noisy or annoying I could be more understanding. (I have the hillbilly neighbors from hell!!!)

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I am a college student in a college town. I live in a house in a neighborhood that is about 60% families and 40% students.

So far, in two years I have had two parties (Birthday and Christmas cocktail). Both times I went to all of my surrounding neighbors and told them what would be happening. I gave them my cell phone and asked them to call ME before they called the cops.

I think the worst part of a party is when people play the music really loud, or the smokers outside that get inebriated and loud.

If a neighbor had called the police before calling me I would have been pretty upset. Mostly, beacuse I try very hard to be reasonable, responsible, and courteous to them. I would hope they do the same! Both times we had a party it was not an issue, and my neighbors thanked me for the warning.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to everyone.I have tried to reply twice before, but lost it as my network seems to hang up in the middle.You all have valid points and in my previous replies (that did not post )I addressed everyone but can''t do it because I may loose it again.
So we went out and I m glad we did because few arrests have been made and apparently was very noisy and got out of control.Someone called the cops and it stopped then.
Yes its not an easy situation and party is for fun and joy as long as one is courteous of neighbors.
Thanks to all I must get my network checked..

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Hahahaha Dispatcher Michelle.
9.gif

Too cute.

I turn on my white noise machine and go to sleep.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2008 9:30:54 PM
Author: miraclesrule
9.gif

Too cute.

I have one of these too! I love it!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 9:32:01 PM
Author: claudinam

9.gif

Too cute.

One of the best inventions ever!! I just unpacked mine last night. I even take it with me on business. It''s awesome.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 9:44:12 PM

Date: 8/17/2008 9:32:01 PM
Author: claudinam

9.gif

Too cute.

One of the best inventions ever!! I just unpacked mine last night. I even take it with me on business. It''s awesome.
Um esqueeze mee!!

White noise machine?

Say what?!

And where can I get one???

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got mine from Hammacher Schlemmer...it''s called The Original Sleep Sound Generator.

I can''t live without it. I''ve been using it for like 10 years.

When DH first moved in with me, he hated it, and kept asking me to turn it off. Now HE turns it on if I don''t.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
You can get them online almost anywhere. It will take you a few nights to get used to but then you will be addicted. I got mine on ebay brand new. Some retailers add $10 -$20 bucks on the price.

Sane Saving White Noise Machine

That link is for the single speed. I have the double speed. Each speed also has a soft to firmer whooshing sound.

Get the two speed model, you won't regret it. Here is a link for the dual speed...

Best thing since sliced Bread

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Oh man that''s going to be a lifesaver. We use our ceiling fan for some "white noise" and we''ve gotten sick because of it LOL Thanks for the links.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! Definitely get the 2 speed model!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
1. Just let it be and don''t do anything? Maybe. Depends on how long..if it went for an hour sure. Any longer, NO.
2.If you decide to call the authorities do you wait until it gets out of hand and then call? I''d call once they went on too long, unacceptable.
3.Do you wait until certain time and things gets really noisy to call? Any time after midnight is too late to be loud. I don''t even vaccuum in my apartment after dark for fear it will wake my neighbors up.
3.Any other suggestions? Don''t put up with rude people!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results