shape
carat
color
clarity

How large does an antique stone need to be to see the pattern?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This may seem a silly question but what do you think the minimum size an old cut diamond needs to be in order to see the pattern? For example I have a pretty ring that has a very small transitional .30 ct but I cannot see the pattern without a loupe or zooming in after taking a picture (as shown). It's really sparkly and I see glittering light when I look at it sans loupe but my 2ct of course I can see the pattern clearly. I saw a photo of a .65 ct stone and asked for a pic on the hand but they sent at an angle so I cannot see. (shown). THe stock photo has a really nice pattern but it's zoomed. Wondering what you guys think. Posting in antique instead of rocky talky since this is specific to old cuts.

Pic of my baby trans:

IMG_9617.jpg

Pic of ebay .65 ct which has nice patterning:

s-l1600.jpg
Same stone when asked to see on hand (don't know why they angled it like this bc no I cannot see pattern but maybe it's because I can't see it face on lol).

image0 (6).jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on your eyesight :)

I would say at about 1 carat you can start really appreciating the facets on an old cut but everyone is different and this is just my experience.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I can see the facet patterns on my .75 and .85 diamonds.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It depends on your eyesight :)

I would say at about 1 carat you can start really appreciating the facets on an old cut but everyone is different and this is just my experience.

My near vision is getting worse. I don’t need reading glasses (yet) but if I wear my glasses that I need to see far away I have to remove them to see close. I have to hold things a certain distance away to read lol. Excuse to get bigger stones hahaha.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My near vision is getting worse. I don’t need reading glasses (yet) but if I wear my glasses that I need to see far away I have to remove them to see close. I have to hold things a certain distance away to read lol. Excuse to get bigger stones hahaha.

I'm a bit blurry in middle/long distance for one eye and up close for both :geek2:so yes, I am going to need bigger diamonds as I get older. My husband has already been briefed for our 10th anniversary ;)2
Currently though I can still enjoy the faceting on my 7mm OEC so I can't really use that as an excuse yet to upgrade!

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I'm a bit blurry in middle/long distance for one eye and up close for both :geek2:so yes, I am going to need bigger diamonds as I get older. My husband has already been briefed for our 10th anniversary ;)2
Currently though I can still enjoy the faceting on my 7mm OEC so I can't really use that as an excuse yet to upgrade!

That’s a great size stone still!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree it really depends on ones eyesight abilities
(I have one near sighted and one far and lazy)
Can not really appreciate faceting in 2.6mm old cut halo stones without loupe, but can tell for sure with naked eye they aren’t MRB.
On 3.7mm cluster stones I have no problem appreciating their OECness.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was considering OEC vs MRB studs I knew if I wasn’t going to at least 7mm it would have made more sense doing MRBs (for me). At 7mm I start really appreciating the chunky facets.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
My eyes are still decent, so I can easily see the difference of light throw in cut pattern of 3mm stones at 12-16inches. But if you mean each individual facet like we see in photos, then it would have to be 4mm and up.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
My eyes are still decent, so I can easily see the difference of light throw in cut pattern of 3mm stones at 12-16inches. But if you mean each individual facet like we see in photos, then it would have to be 4mm and up.

Yes I meant the facets. I think my little trans is 3.5 to 4 and I cannot see the pattern. But again poorer eyesight than others. Also @ItsMainelyYou that little ouroboros just makes me happy every time I see it :)

Do you guys have any opinions on the ebay ring above? Again the pic on the hand from the seller is unfortunately not a good one.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:bigsmile: Thank you, me too! I actually like the pattern on the .65 it looks to be a transitional cut to my admittedly untrained eye. I think it's pretty.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
:bigsmile: Thank you, me too! I actually like the pattern on the .65 it's looks to be a transitional cut to my admittedly untrained eye. I think it's pretty.

Yes that is what it is labeled at. I love the pattern in the stock photo just wanted to see a more "real" photo and the side view isn't very clear.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have really good eyesight still. But while you can already see in 3-4 mm that they are old cuts and be able to somewhat ascertain cut quality especially at around .6-.7, to really appreciate the facet pattern and to discern individual facets I think an OEC should be 6-7 mm. In studs larger. In rings 6 should already be all right. Otherwise you can only really see it well with a loupe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results