shape
carat
color
clarity

How important is the fluorescence of the diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

paulc8125

Rough_Rock
I am a amateur when it comes to diamonds and wasn''t aware of diamond "fluorescence". I am in the process of looking for an e-ring in the 1 carat range and was wondering how much effect it might really have on it. Should I also stay away from I color or can you "get away" with it? The cut will be princess by the way.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there
35.gif
Most believe that faint to med blue fluoresence won't have a detrimental affect on a diamond and may " whiten" it face up, especially in the warmer colours. Strong can be said in rare instances to show a milky or oily effect in sunlight or some other lighting, but like I said it is rare. Flouresence may be considered undesirable in a D colour, but it depends, some love the effect and some don't. With faint, as with mine, there isn't a lot to see with it.

Some actively seek fluoresence in their diamonds as they feel it gives the diamond a little more " zap" but others shy away from it. You might notice a little more colour with an I Princess, but if it has fluoresence, an I with fluoro can be a good choice, just be aware that a Princess could show the colour a little more than a round, but fluoresence might be an advantage. I is believed by many in the industry to be the colour where most laypeople can detect a little warmth, but many like this - just depends what you prefer. The I colour might be fine for you, only your eyes can tell you....but it might be an idea to ask the vendor how white this diamond faces up, colour is normally perceived more from the side, if it is GIA certed this is preferable as you know the colour will be accurate. Also make sure you get the best cut you can, as a great cut makes a diamond beautiful and possibly look whiter.

paulc8125

Rough_Rock
I thought I might hear from you! Thanks for that info. Also, the importance of symmetry and polish?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! With polish I am told that good and above will look the same to the untrained eye. With symmetry, Ideal to excellent is best to go for in a round but I am not too knowedgeable with Princess cuts, but I would think depending on the cut quality you choose to get the best you can. My friend Belle could be logging in shortly and she is excellent with Princess cuts.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Wow Lorelei, are you sure you're not moonlighting as a diamond analyst? Nice overview.

The polish grade reflects the smoothness and mirror-like finish of the facets. The symmetry grade judges how well facet junctions meet and evaluates uniformity of the diamond’s shape. Studies have indicated that grades of ID/EX and VG in p/s are not visibly different to the naked eye, so it's a matter of how picky you want to be. As with cut, ideal or excellent grades indicate top craftsmanship.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehehe - thanks Sir John!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results