shape
carat
color
clarity

How I spent money during covid

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started thinking about redoing living/dining/entry in 2017, worked with interior decorator last part of 2019 and early 2020 choosing furniture and fabrics, work started spring of 2020 and the last pieces of furniture, cabinets by the fireplace, were delivered today.

First the before pics. Apologies in advance if they're ginormous.

test living 1.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
test living 2.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
test LR after 2.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
test LR after.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a before of the entry. I changed out the front door, table, mirror, light.

test Entry after.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dining room before and after

test dining 2.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
test DR after.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s a beautiful transformation! I LOVE the pet toys!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the pet toys!

My interior decorator was put to the test when I told her all of the fabrics had to be industrial strength and easy to clean. I took her out for a very nice meal and lots of alcohol after the project finished because she really needed it, lol. The cats rule this house. The place usually looks like a day care center for toddlers because of the massive amount of toys scattered about. I cleaned up quite a bit for the pics.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My interior decorator was put to the test when I told her all of the fabrics had to be industrial strength and easy to clean. I took her out for a very nice meal and lots of alcohol after the project finished because she really needed it, lol. The cats rule this house. The place usually looks like a day care center for toddlers because of the massive amount of toys scattered about. I cleaned up quite a bit for the pics.

A house isn’t a home unless it’s lived in..Pets are the best decorators! :lol:
I miss tripping over Bailey’s toys..❤️

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful I'm very impressed. , Everything is gorgeous, but I especially LOVE the black sideboard (?) /Table in the living room!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful transformation! Everything looks clean and chic - well done!!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree, the transformation is strikingly beautiful. Enjoy your new space.

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Looks amazing @Matata! I love the entrance way table and cat picture :)

I have always wanted to do this - hire a designer. How did you choose one and wondering how expensive it was if you don’t mind sharing or giving estimate?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I gasped when I saw the after! Love it!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did you choose one and wondering how expensive it was if you don’t mind sharing or giving estimate?

I've used the same design group this time as in the before pictures but a different designer. Before I chose the first time, I interviewed quite a few but didn't find one who "got" me. The group I use does most of the houses in my area having built a solid reputation for years. The owner is a bit snooty though. When I didn't like the design of the first person I worked with this time (the one I used before left to start a different type of business), she said she had another designer I could try and her fee would be $180/hr. The second designer "got" me and she never charged me that much. The place I used usually doesn't charge for the designer's time if you buy the furniture from the owner's store. The owner starts charging for design time if you annoy her. They're the best in town and they know it. If you live in area with more choices, the competition might keep costs lower.

The custom furniture was around $35,000ish.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks stunning.
im a weird one, I never change my decor as I have “arrived” at exact what I want, except maybe formal dining room table and chairs. Seeing as the room never used, ok, once a year, Christmas, it’s hard to justify. I would love a quality Art Deco setting, very hard to find at a reasonable price.
I do “adjust around the edges” but it has literally got to the point where I can’t buy another thing, except jewellery ha ha.
This is my latest update. It’s actually window film so it’s not permanent.
CE8B08BD-5992-43DA-8824-3C734CDD4D7F.jpeg

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Thanks Matata for sharing your experience! That helps to know that its important to find someone who you gel with

I've used the same design group this time as in the before pictures but a different designer. Before I chose the first time, I interviewed quite a few but didn't find one who "got" me. The group I use does most of the houses in my area having built a solid reputation for years. The owner is a bit snooty though. When I didn't like the design of the first person I worked with this time (the one I used before left to start a different type of business), she said she had another designer I could try and her fee would be $180/hr. The second designer "got" me and she never charged me that much. The place I used usually doesn't charge for the designer's time if you buy the furniture from the owner's store. The owner starts charging for design time if you annoy her. They're the best in town and they know it. If you live in area with more choices, the competition might keep costs lower.

The custom furniture was around $35,000ish.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Looks great.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Great transformation, tres chic!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That helps to know that its important to find someone who you gel with

It was crucial for me to find someone who was a bit quirky. I love elements of too many styles -- Hollywood Glam, Art Deco,
Bohemian, Contemporary, and Industrial -- but I don't love everything about them. Melding the different style elements I do like into something that looks cohesive was a huge challenge. It would have been much easier if I could have settled on one style but I know I would have become bored with one particular look or would regretted the upkeep.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful transformation! It just goes to show you how much designers are worth, because they just cover EVERY detail perfectly. I really love the navy with the gold in the siting area. Stunning.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Love the transformations @Matata ! Did your designer suggest moving the fireplace? The new fireplace location really anchors the room. I really love your aesthetic!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
! Did your designer suggest moving the fireplace?

Thanks for your kind words. It's funny but both the designer and I, when tossing around ideas, both said at the same time "the fireplace needs to be moved", lol. I love the color and painted an entire small powder room that deep blue.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your kind words. It's funny but both the designer and I, when tossing around ideas, both said at the same time "the fireplace needs to be moved", lol. I love the color and painted an entire small powder room that deep blue.

:clap:Well, I'm glad this thread got bumped bc I totally missed it in December!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results