shape
carat
color
clarity

How High?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies - good (well actually amazing) news is that my setting from Signed Pieces is going to arrive early - either Monday pm or Tuesday!!!
9.gif

So then bf and I will take it to the jeweler''s on Tuesday to get checked out and have them set the stone, and here is my question - Signed Pieces said they made the head so the stone can sit high or low or in between. I''m trying to decide how high to have it set - anyone have high-set rings that bother them, or low-set rings? My concern with low-set is that the w-band wouldn''t sit flush although that doesn''t really bother me as much.

I am fairly active, wear gloves a lot, and would like to be able to wear my ring all the time, as much as possible.

Thoughts please?

(Even though we are taking it to get set together, I won''t know when he picks it up or will propose with it, but I really really hope its girl soon, in this case meaning less than a week!!)

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
when I was wearing my inherited tiffany-style solitaire as a pinky ring (cause my Aunt had such a petite ring finger) it drove me crazy how something so simple as reaching in my pocket caused the ring to get snagged...I''m way too active and careless to put up with that for a lifetime. Maybe you could go to a jeweler and try on the different stone heights to see what you prefer.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
and I meant to add- can''t wait to see that ring!!!

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
My ring is medium high. I certainly can''t wear gloves with it, but I think it would be uncomfortable wearing gloves with a low set diamond too b/c the diamond is still going to stick out some, so I wouldn''t base it on the glove thing.

I bumped my ring when I first got it, but I don''t any more. I guess I got used to it. As far as doing active things, you will probably know in advance if you will be going hiking, playing racquet ball, etc., so you can just not wear your e-ring on that day... maybe just wear your wedding band on that day. I wouldn''t want to wear my e-ring doing these things anyway b/c even if the diamond didn''t get damaged, the ring might get bent.

If you do active things at work that would cause problems with the ring being high set, then I would consider getting a low set diamond. I would base my decision on what kind of work you do. I remember hearing a waitress say that she couldn''t have a high set ring b/c of her line of work.

Maybe compromise and get a medium-height ring.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I would consider my e-ring to be low. I personally picked it out because I had had a higher cathedral setting that I couldn''t stand. It kept turning upside down and no matter how much I wore it, I was still banging it around on everything! So when I chose this setting, I was only thinking about my previous experience and quickly realized a little bit later that I didn''t know what would happen with a wedding band. So I convinced myself that I wouldn''t mind a gap and one day decided to go to signed pieces in the city and try on some different bands. Well to my utter surprise, they sat completely flush!! And it wasn''t just their rings...I tried on some various eternity and half eternity bands that were Hearts On Fire brand that also sat perfectly.

As for the gloves thing, I don''t know if you mean rubber gloves or winter gloves etc, but I wear regular fleece winter gloves that I have no problem wearing the ring with. However, I had a pair of tight wool gloves that forced me to either take off my ring (
6.gif
) or turn it upside down before I put on the glove. So I guess it all has to do with the type of glove material and how loose the gloves are. As long as you give the ring room, you shouldn''t have any problems!

Okies, enough rambling for me!! Please post pics asap!! hehe
2.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ladies - thanks for the information and advice. I''m still torn about the whole thing, but I have until Tuesday to decide...I''m thinking of starting with medium-high because I''m guessing its easier to lower it later than to raise it. Thoughts? Has anyone does this?

The exciting news - I got a hint from my mom this afternoon - I know she talked to the bf about the whole thing. She said she would give me two hints:
1. it won''t be in the next few days
2. it will be done in a way that will bring back pleasant memories

I joked about as long as it wasn''t until June, and she said it was definitely before that. So here is my current theory:
We are going away on a trip to Wine Country the weekend of my birthday (March 25-27), and there is a place called the Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa which my mom took me to for my 20th birthday and I adored (and have raved to bf about), it also has a wonderful restaurant. So thats my current guess. Which isn''t too much longer - today is the 4th so thats 3 weeks and ring itself won''t even be finished for at least 5 or 6 more days. Of course, I could be wrong - those were pretty vague hints. In any case, a proposal would certainly be a nice birthday present
9.gif
Not that I would object if its sooner than that, but I will be insanely busy between now and then so hopefully that will keep me from going crazy in the meantime...
3.gif

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
THIS thread may help you.

or THIS one regarding a Signed Pieces ring.

21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results