shape
carat
color
clarity

How Does Your Garden Grow?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
ok garden gurus- enlighten me (or help me).

my front garden is plain. i have a bare, flat patch, honestly a blank canvas! i plant different annuals each year, basically whatever tickles my fancy, but id like some perennial staples to "frame" my garden.

i don''t have a very large space. it is a plain square plot in front of my house. there is no dimension, no differing heights, and i don''t have a very green thumb. my hope is to at least line the area in brick this year so it is more "defined."

and i have an area where my home overhangs, so half the garden doesn''t get as much water since rain doesn''t hit it. and i live in a bi-level home, so the basement windows are at groundlevel, so i need to be careful of planting anything that gets too large, or it will cut off all the light.

anything that isn''t too high maintenance come to mind? i planted some begonias, and two other colorful flowers, but i''m really looking for something as a filler and a backdrop.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
10.gif
2.gif

thought i would post up some pictures for "inspirational purposes"

Winter Branches 004.JPG

charbie

Ideal_Rock
you can see how the water misses the back half- this was after a recent rainfall.

thanks for looking :)

Winter Branches 005.JPG

charbie

Ideal_Rock
here is the other side of the front stairs. i planted lilies there this year, and had to black out the brick that has our last name on it
emotion-16.gif

Winter Branches 006.JPG

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2010 4:38:53 PM
Author: charbie
ok garden gurus- enlighten me (or help me).

my front garden is plain. i have a bare, flat patch, honestly a blank canvas! i plant different annuals each year, basically whatever tickles my fancy, but id like some perennial staples to ''frame'' my garden.

i don''t have a very large space. it is a plain square plot in front of my house. there is no dimension, no differing heights, and i don''t have a very green thumb. my hope is to at least line the area in brick this year so it is more ''defined.''

and i have an area where my home overhangs, so half the garden doesn''t get as much water since rain doesn''t hit it. and i live in a bi-level home, so the basement windows are at groundlevel, so i need to be careful of planting anything that gets too large, or it will cut off all the light.

anything that isn''t too high maintenance come to mind? i planted some begonias, and two other colorful flowers, but i''m really looking for something as a filler and a backdrop.
What is the light like in that area? Is it full sun, partial shade, full shade? What''s the soil like? What is your hardiness zone? Zone finder This won''t actually tell us exactly where you live..btw...just what the frost is like in your area. How high are those windows from the ground?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
House Cat:
Thanks! See how "green" I am??? I mean, I known those things are important...haha.
Zone 6, full sun, the soil is...well, dirt. Not top soil, not clay, I''ve never tested it. And the windows are around 18 inches off the ground. Does this help? My mom always plants hosta (sp?) And id rather not plant those.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2010 8:52:04 PM
9.gif
10.gif
2.gif

thought i would post up some pictures for 'inspirational purposes'

Hi Charbie,

When we moved I started collecting stacks and stacks of gardening and curb appeal magazines, cut out pictures for inspiration, and concentrated on widening beds and adding to the soil for better planting. Just start cutting out pictures of what you like on homes similiar to yours, and let it evolve.

It's hard to tell from a photo of one area without seeing the big picture, but I'd widen that front bed, and make it curvy to wrap around the front steps, entry way. With a wider bed you can have layers of foundation plants that won't be pushed up against the house, and you'd have enough room for two or three rows of plantings of varying heights. I'd also get perennials in the ground this spring to set you up for the winter

For sure you need some evergreen type plants that last through the winter, you could add your annuals in the spring around them. I agree something low growing would be good under the window and build up in height as plants near the front door- with something tall near the door/steps- a bush or small tree that doesn't grow to high or wide to fill that space.

I may be old fashioned, but I have lots of boxwood- they stay green all winter, and hold the garden up. In spring and summer they look great with flowers and other less structured ( big messy plants like the russian sage and hygrangea) plants around them.

Looks like a fun project. I really like that planter on the other side of the steps. Hope Gailey chimes in.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
wow, Thing2, your garden already filled out from the first photos, isn't it amazing how fast these plants take off during growing season. Thanks for the crepe article....

Thanks so much for the pruning tips and websites, Gailey.. I cannot get enough pictures of english gardens... I do need some new garden tools.

Husband was out and about pruning today.. don't even ask....

NCSUchick27

Shiny_Rock
I planted my vegetable garden yesterday. I planted 3 kinds of tomatoes (Better Boy, Sweet 100, and Yellow Pear), eggplant, bell peppers, jalapenos, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, and watermelon(the small personal sized kind). I am a newbie to gardening so I have been reading a lot online and in gardening books. I''m interested to see how well everything does.

I wanted to take a picture today, but it has been raining off and on all day. I''m just hoping it isn''t raining too much for my little baby plants.

Any advice for a newbie vegetable gardener?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 2:39:31 PM
Author: gardengloves
wow, Thing2, your garden already filled out from the first photos, isn''t it amazing how fast these plants take off during growing season. Thanks for the crepe article....

Thanks so much for the pruning tips and websites, Gailey.. I cannot get enough pictures of english gardens... I do need some new garden tools.

Husband was out and about pruning today.. don''t even ask....

It is amazing! They look great! I can''t wait for them to get even bigger and start looking like some of the pics you posted with the super full purple flowers. We''ve been getting a ton of rain and I think it''s definitely helping. Now 2 of the 3 plants in the back (forget the name of the 2 but the flowers are purple and tall, skinny, very gradual cone shapes) are starting to flower! We need to put down mulch, though, because grass is starting to encroach and sprout up around the flowers.

Do you think just a trench around the edge and mulch will be enough to keep the grass out or should we do the tarp material (forget the name) too? Some of the plants are spreading ground cover types so I''m wondering if the tarp will prevent it from spreading...depending on how the stacked stone wall out front goes, I wouldn''t mind making another stone wall out back. My husband wants to leave it plain for some reason, but I''m not convinced yet!

I''m totally hooked now. I can''t wait to get the front yard going! We took out the brick wall and need to start building the stacked stone wall. Then after that we''ll do a patio out back and maybe some type of bushes (possibly roses or a climbing plant) along one side of the yard.
36.gif
I have so many projects I want to do!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 1:57:15 PM

Date: 5/22/2010 8:52:04 PM
9.gif
10.gif
2.gif

thought i would post up some pictures for ''inspirational purposes''

Hi Charbie,

When we moved I started collecting stacks and stacks of gardening and curb appeal magazines, cut out pictures for inspiration, and concentrated on widening beds and adding to the soil for better planting. Just start cutting out pictures of what you like on homes similiar to yours, and let it evolve.

It''s hard to tell from a photo of one area without seeing the big picture, but I''d widen that front bed, and make it curvy to wrap around the front steps, entry way. With a wider bed you can have layers of foundation plants that won''t be pushed up against the house, and you''d have enough room for two or three rows of plantings of varying heights. I''d also get perennials in the ground this spring to set you up for the winter

For sure you need some evergreen type plants that last through the winter, you could add your annuals in the spring around them. I agree something low growing would be good under the window and build up in height as plants near the front door- with something tall near the door/steps- a bush or small tree that doesn''t grow to high or wide to fill that space.

I may be old fashioned, but I have lots of boxwood- they stay green all winter, and hold the garden up. In spring and summer they look great with flowers and other less structured ( big messy plants like the russian sage and hygrangea) plants around them.

Looks like a fun project. I really like that planter on the other side of the steps. Hope Gailey chimes in.
Charbie, I like GG''s idea. I also don''t like to plant anything right up against the wall of the house. I generally make a 2 ft (you can get away with 18") casual path that I cover with thick bark mulch. I use it to access the back of the bed to weed, plant etc.

The reason I don''t like to plant right up against the wall is because it''s an area that gets very little in the way of natural precipitation and stuff just doesn''t grow well there.

Because you are in Zone 6, you could certainly plant some boxwood as structural plants to frame your annuals. I also like to use Alchemilla mollis (Ladies Mantle) as a backdrop plant. It has a fabulous leaf shape. It looks amazing when water pools on the leaves and it has frothy lime green flowers. Here''s a little tip. Anything lime green or grey will make everything else around it look fabulous. If grey appeals to you more than the lime green, if you have at least 4-6 hours of sun on the bed each day you can opt for one of the Artemesias. Notable varieties include: Powys Castle, Silver King and A. schmidtiana ''Nana''

If you do widen the bed, also try and include some Iris. They have upright sword like leaves (pictures of GG''s Iris are earlier in this thread). They are a good architectural plant and make a good contrast.

Day lilies also do the same sort of thing and flower later than the Irises. Lots of pictures of daylilies in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whats-growing-in-psers-garden.114154/

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Charbie- just want to say that hostas have come a long way. Many beautiful varieties. I love artemisia too, but I''m 6a and sometimes they don''t winter over. Powys castle did and I love it. Have you given any thought to hydrangeas?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 1:09:10 AM
Author: thing2of2

wow, Thing2, your garden already filled out from the first photos, isn''t it amazing how fast these plants take off during growing season. Thanks for the crepe article....

It is amazing! They look great! I can''t wait for them to get even bigger and start looking like some of the pics you posted with the super full purple flowers. We''ve been getting a ton of rain and I think it''s definitely helping. Now 2 of the 3 plants in the back (forget the name of the 2 but the flowers are purple and tall, skinny, very gradual cone shapes) are starting to flower! We need to put down mulch, though, because grass is starting to encroach and sprout up around the flowers.

Do you think just a trench around the edge and mulch will be enough to keep the grass out or should we do the tarp material (forget the name) too? Some of the plants are spreading ground cover types so I''m wondering if the tarp will prevent it from spreading...depending on how the stacked stone wall out front goes, I wouldn''t mind making another stone wall out back. My husband wants to leave it plain for some reason, but I''m not convinced yet!

I''m totally hooked now. I can''t wait to get the front yard going! We took out the brick wall and need to start building the stacked stone wall. Then after that we''ll do a patio out back and maybe some type of bushes (possibly roses or a climbing plant) along one side of the yard.
36.gif
Lawn edges are probably the thing I obsess over more than any other aspect of gardening. Lawn grass is one of the most invasive species there is in the gardening world. There are lots of artificial "edging" materials and techniques.

Without doubt, every artificial edging material will fail. It gives the lawn-owner a false sense of security and eventually the grass will grow through it, under it and over it. The only really effective deterent is a trench and a regularly trimmed edge. Grass will not grow through fresh air, but it will grow through everything else, especially mulch. It is more important to trim the edges of your grass each week than it is to mow it. Tomorrow I will take a picture of one of my edges and post it so you can see what I am talking about.

If you let your grass get anywhere near the base of a raised bed, then it will spread under the rocks and up into the bed. I don''t like or use landscape fabric because although it might deter grass and some weeds for a while, eventually the grass will just come straight through the fabric and it is virtually impossible to get rid of it without massive use of herbicide or digging up the fabric.

The best tool for maintaining a cut lawn edge are Bahco Long Handled Edging Shears

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture I snapped several years ago of a cut lawn edge. You can''t see the detail, but you get the general idea.

If you put a cut edge in at the base of the raised bed, take a sharp knive and cut an edge approx 45° to the face of the rock.

lawn edge example.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Another idea for ensuring the grass doesn''t grow up into your raised bed is to plant a border around the base of it. The image below is perhaps on a bigger scale than you have in mind, but you get the idea.

I put the border in deliberately to ensure the grass never gets anywhere near the wall.

Rock wall border.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 11:09:07 PM
Author: Gailey
Here''s a picture I snapped several years ago of a cut lawn edge. You can''t see the detail, but you get the general idea.

If you put a cut edge in at the base of the raised bed, take a sharp knive and cut an edge approx 45° to the face of the rock.
Wow Lulu!!

I am in Zone 3B and can grow plenty of Artemesia varieties. Regrettably not ''Powys Castle'' though. I often use it in containers as an annual. Don''t you just love the strong lavender scent?

I think a hydrangea would look fabulous tucked in the corner where the steps meet the wall. Just make sure you read how large it gets and plant it far enough out. You would definitely need to deepen the bed if you want to consider a hydrangea. They like morning sun best.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Gailey-you're the pro! What the heck am I doing wrong with the artemisia? I'm also irritated because I planted foxtail lilies for the first time next to allium thinking they'd bloom together- the purple and yellow would have been beautiful! But the allium are way ahead of the lilies. I may have to spray paint the allium. Some gardeners here really do that!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 12:11:51 AM
Author: lulu
Gailey-you''re the pro! What the heck am I doing wrong with the artemisia? I''m also irritated because I planted foxtail lilies for the first time next to allium thinking they''d bloom together- the purple and yellow would have been beautiful! But the allium are way ahead of the lilies. I may have to spray paint the allium. Some gardeners here really do that!
Artemesia likes to be in hot full sun - all day (6-8 hours). It seems to like our alkaline soil. Above all, it needs to be well drained. I suspect if you are losing yours over the winter months it is probably suffering from root rot and is too wet. If you think this maybe a possibility, next time you plant one, mix in liberal amounts of sharp sand or horticultural grit in the planting mix and put a good couple of inches of grit/sand in the bottom of the planting hole.

You can tell if your artemesia isn''t doing well because it is too damp. It will be floppy. If it isn''t getting enough sun, the leaves will be more green than silver. It also hates irrigation systems.

Hope that helps.

Can''t help you with the Foxtail Lillies because I have never grown them. You might try a yellow German Iris. Best bet is to look around your neighbourhood for something in bloom that''s yellow at the same time as your alliums. Around here, a good combo would be to underplant the alliums with Euphorbia polychroma (Cushion Spurge). What about good old fashioned daffodils? They might be too early where you live, but in Zone 3B, the daffs are out at the same time as the alliums.

There is a Yellow Allium, but chances are it is a bit later than the purple alliums. Another option might be a yellow Crown Frittilaria, or yellow tulips.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
That''s it Gailey. I have always had the artemisia in a bed that gets hit by the sprinkler system.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock

Now that is an edge, a thing of beauty. Love it, thanks for the photos Gailey.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 12:11:51 AM
Author: lulu
Gailey-you''re the pro! What the heck am I doing wrong with the artemisia? I''m also irritated because I planted foxtail lilies for the first time next to allium thinking they''d bloom together- the purple and yellow would have been beautiful! But the allium are way ahead of the lilies. I may have to spray paint the allium. Some gardeners here really do that!

I''m also so glad Gailey responded with her suggestions. She''s the best.

What about those bright yellow daffodils with the alliums? They come up the same time, and deer hate them both!

I have to admit, I kinda like the way alliums keep the ghost shape after the bloom fades, these mysterious balls floating above the greenery.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 11:23:02 PM

Here's a picture I snapped several years ago of a cut lawn edge. You can't see the detail, but you get the general idea.

Wow Lulu!!

I am in Zone 3B and can grow plenty of Artemesia varieties. Regrettably not 'Powys Castle' though. I often use it in containers as an annual. Don't you just love the strong lavender scent?

I think a hydrangea would look fabulous tucked in the corner where the steps meet the wall. Just make sure you read how large it gets and plant it far enough out. You would definitely need to deepen the bed if you want to consider a hydrangea. They like morning sun best.

I'm so glad you suggested a hydrangea in the corner. I totally love these and keep them in the front, but many people don't like them in a front yard foundation bed, because they vanish in winter, but if you have enough evergreen ( the good old boxwood), it can get by. There's nothing more beautiful than hydrangeas welcoming a house, and I'm glad a pro like Gailey suggested it. I'm just an avid trial and error gardener, but its taken on a life of its own.

I have to say, the best hydrangeas I ever got come in 3" pots from Spring Hill Gardens, they bloom vivid purple, and grow at an amazing rate, 2 feet the second year, 3-4 after two years--- the growth as been explosive- far superior to local garden nurseries where I tried some Nikko blues. Cost a lot less, take a bit of watering, fertilizing and care, but they do reward. Plus, they don't wilt in the sun!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I have three "endless summers" in heavy shade and they're just beautiful, but I still love the oak leaves best.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 10:56:44 PM
Date: 5/24/2010 1:09:10 AM

Author: thing2of2

36.gif
Lawn edges are probably the thing I obsess over more than any other aspect of gardening. Lawn grass is one of the most invasive species there is in the gardening world. There are lots of artificial ''edging'' materials and techniques.

Without doubt, every artificial edging material will fail. It gives the lawn-owner a false sense of security and eventually the grass will grow through it, under it and over it. The only really effective deterent is a trench and a regularly trimmed edge. Grass will not grow through fresh air, but it will grow through everything else, especially mulch. It is more important to trim the edges of your grass each week than it is to mow it. Tomorrow I will take a picture of one of my edges and post it so you can see what I am talking about.

If you let your grass get anywhere near the base of a raised bed, then it will spread under the rocks and up into the bed. I don''t like or use landscape fabric because although it might deter grass and some weeds for a while, eventually the grass will just come straight through the fabric and it is virtually impossible to get rid of it without massive use of herbicide or digging up the fabric.

The best tool for maintaining a cut lawn edge are Bahco Long Handled Edging Shears

Grass is the biggest pain. It will grow through lawn paper, rocks, trenches, but lord forbid you have a dead spot in lawn you have to nurse it, fertilize it, water it, and just maybe it will fill in next year, but it will soar through mulch, rocks, paper in your beds in less than a week.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our orange honeysuckle vine is an explosion of blooms and I''m so happy! Once we get everything situated this weekend I''ll take some pictures. Our place has come a looong way since we bought it and we''re really proud. We''re also moving some hostas to a new bed..we just can''t quit adding stuff.

I wish I had pictures of my parents place when I was still living at home and we used to spend hours working on it. I love nice landscaping!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Lovely garden pictures, everyone!!!
30.gif

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE this thread!!!!!!! Gorgeous!!! Here are some pictures of my garden
21.gif

peonies1234XV.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so awful at getting pictures on here
33.gif
I''ll try again. Purple is Barbra Streisand rose. White is JFK I think.

barbrastreisandrose.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
JFK.

whiterosesabc123.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Japanese Maple.

japanesemaple123abcd.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results