shape
carat
color
clarity

How does a single woman wear a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PawnShopHustler

Rough_Rock

The correct answer is "any way she pleases" but people at my job think otherwise. (I work with a strange bunch)

I have a thing for antique wedding sets and I''m wearing a set on my left middle finger. It''s petite but blingy and catches the eye so everyone noticed and questioned if I got engaged. Of course the answer is no and we got into this long debate about what type of rings a single woman shouldn''t wear. Someone mentioned that it might scare off potential suitors...but it''s not like I''m wearing it on my left ring finger.
Another said that a woman buying her own diamonds is intimidating to a man (like I said, my ring is petite, how in the world can it intimidate someone).They also said the same thing about pearls....
I''m not wearing any pearls unless a man buys me some
Weird.....

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
i agree with you. they are a weird bunch. i say wear whatever you want. i can see wearing a diamond solitaire on your left ring finger and be single probably isnt the best idea because potential suitors would think you are taken, but other than that is silly

i have never heard of the pearls thing... i happen to be married but was looking at a pearl bracelet for myself before i was and didnt have a second thought about getting one.

i feel bad that these are the views that are surrounding you. tell them they are misinformed!

PawnShopHustler

Rough_Rock
I''m just going to blame it on them being old & country.
Well, they''re not that old. And I''m country so.......I don''t know what it is.

I like solitaires and said I''m going to get one for x-mas.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I guess that if you wanted to look really ''available'' lol and beautiful in diamonds at the same time, you could always consider the diamond pendant, earrings and maybe even bracelet. By avoiding rings altogether, no-one will worry that you look ''spoken for''.

Problem is... you have a thing about antique wedding sets! tee hee
A guy who likes you is probably going to work out that you''re single soon enough, anyway, diamond ring or no.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
LOL this is funny. I used to wear a teeny three-stone ring on my left ring finger because I wasn''t used to wearing rings on any other finger, and people ALWAYS told me I was scaring off the men with it. Well wth - I got hit on ten times MORE with that ring on that finger than I did without a ring! So they can kiss your butt
20.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I intend for it to be intimidating. I don''t plan to remarry, but if I did let''s hope that it would incentivize my suitor to go BIG
9.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2008 11:46:43 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I intend for it to be intimidating. I don''t plan to remarry, but if I did let''s hope that it would incentivize my suitor to go BIG
9.gif
That is fabulous! I read it aloud to my DH. You have earned his applause.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s so silly. Why do they give a rat''s you-know-what if or how you wear diamonds?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Goes with single guys as well...sometimes i wear a ring on myring finger left hand and people i know as if i got married.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just asked D would it be intimidating to him for me to buy my own diamonds, and he told me that he''s love it if I bought my own-it''d save him a fortune
9.gif
I say wear whatever rings you want on whatever fingers you want.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve always worn at least one solitaire on each hand. People used to tell me that it would intimadate potential suitors, and I would tell them that I''m not interested in men who get intimidated.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think some people are just weird. I remember talking about buying my first diamond stud earrings (b/c I really wanted some and didn''t *want* to wait for a guy to buy them for me) and a coworker got really snobby and said she would ONLY wear jewelry that was given as a gift. Whatever.
20.gif
38.gif
I think if you love jewelry and you can afford it why not treat yourself?

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 7:50:22 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I''ve always worn at least one solitaire on each hand. People used to tell me that it would intimadate potential suitors, and I would tell them that I''m not interested in men who get intimidated.

LOVE that response!
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 8:18:02 AM
Author: MaryAlaina

I've always worn at least one solitaire on each hand. People used to tell me that it would intimadate potential suitors, and I would tell them that I'm not interested in men who get intimidated.

LOVE that response!
9.gif
Big ditto to this! LOL! Who wants a man who is "intimidated" by anything, especially some measely (or not so measely
31.gif
) diamonds??

If you are looking to attract suiters though, maybe wear it on the right hand? Some men aren't that observant and they would confuse the middle and ring fingers... but then again, some men aren't that observant and they don't even notice my wedding rings on my left ring finger
20.gif
so do what you want!

ETA we need pictures of this "confusing" ring!
3.gif
I looked at your threads and I don't think you have posted it/them before?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not surprised by the comments. I want to be, but I''m not. I bought myself two pairs of diamond earrings, a vintage engagement ring, and some other pieces I liked when single (and still do) and I always got comments. I figure I know what I want, I have/had the money, I should buy it myself. Why wait on a man for the good stuff?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
If people are intimidated by a woman knowing what she wants and getting it, I don''t want anything to do with them. And that goes double for people that get all judgmental about it.

Have you posted pictures of the set you wear? I''d love to see it!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
A big ol phooey to your co-workers. As far as I''m concerned, if it''s on your left ring finger, the jewelry is symbolic. Anywhere else, it''s not. A single woman should wear ANYTHING that she wants - and, the other pieces your co-workers mentioned are often gifts a woman receives for graduation or as heirlooms, so the idea that those should be from a husband - ANOTHER big phooey to that. With the exception of the three pieces I wear every day (earrings, w-set, bangle), all of my jewelry has either been purchased by me or was a gift from my parents - so the theory that a husband should buy jewelry flies out the window in my case, too. Your co-workers need to find another topic to talk about.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I've always worn at least one solitaire on each hand. People used to tell me that it would intimadate potential suitors, and I would tell them that I'm not interested in men who get intimidated.

Very good!
36.gif

Wear what you like-how you like. I'm currently redesigning a solitaire to wear on my left hand ring finger, because I'm tired of fiddling with all of the wedding bands. People may assume that I'm engaged rather than being married, but what people assume has never interested me.

PawnShopHustler, I'm always curious when I see your avatar. Is it a photograph that you've taken? And please show us that antique wedding set! I'd love to see!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Madam, you crack me up practically on a daily basis! Your response begs the question, "What kind of men interest you?" Names from all walks of life might be helpful.
35.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Isaku! I''ve always been drawn to confident men who have a great sense of humor. No mama''s boys and nobody who is insecure or resentful of an independent, self-supporting woman. Pretty much James Bond types.

cmarie

Rough_Rock
I have to say, it annoys me that some people think women should only have diamonds that are given to them by men. Certainly this is the traditional way most of us get them, but the idea that gender should affect what women buy with their own money is preposterous.

I say, buy all the diamonds you want!!
16.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 1:34:41 PM
Hi, Isaku! I''ve always been drawn to confident men who have a great sense of humor. No mama''s boys and nobody who is insecure or resentful of an independent, self-supporting woman. Pretty much James Bond types.
Excellent choice!!!
36.gif

My apologies to PSH for the threadjack
1.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
LOL - somehow i keep thinking of sean connery as james bond when you said that..

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Try switching it over to your right hand. And any man being intimidated by a woman buying herself what she pleases isn''t one I''d want to attract anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results