shape
carat
color
clarity

How does a consumer attain a GIA report?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
And how much does it cost? how long does it take? Thank you! I could not find this info anywhere!

Rida

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey rida, this should answer your question.
2.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pretty much any jeweler, diamond dealer or appraiser can order one or you can do it yourself directly with GIA for a slightly higher price. It takes 6 to 8 weeks from when they get the stone and shipping time will depend on how far you are from Calrsbad CA or NY NY. Prices will vary with the size of the stone presented.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
My jeweler sent my diamond to the GIA in California 4 weeks ago & there''s still no word on it. Mine is a 1.76 weight & the cost is $225. The diamond needs to be taken out of it''s setting too!

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the response all! and thanks for the link Belle! I''m thinking it may not be worth it to send my stone in for that amount of money just to resell it, I will just take it to an independent appraiser and get a feel for what he/she says...tha is unless this would cost $200+ as well!

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
If you take it to a trained GIA gemologist they should have the same standard as taking to the GIA, don''t ya think? I had 8 appraisals done by a graduate GIA for $300 in the Denver area just to give you an idea on price. BTW, you owe me BIGTIME for my advice & information, I broke a nail opening my safe! LOL!
9.gif

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2005 2:05:33 PM
Author: Leanne
If you take it to a trained GIA gemologist they should have the same standard as taking to the GIA, don''t ya think? I had 8 appraisals done by a graduate GIA for $300 in the Denver area just to give you an idea on price. BTW, you owe me BIGTIME for my advice & information, I broke a nail opening my safe! LOL!
9.gif

LOL sorry Leanne, but thanks for your dilligence and dedication!
2.gif
Just for clarification you paid $300 for the total of 8 appraisals? So an average of about $38 bucks each with variations due to the size of the stone? Oh and is it typical for the customer to be with the appraiser during the appraisal? Or do you drop it off and return for the verdict? This is for a local appraiser....

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
I interviewed 2 appraisers, one by phone the other in store. They both said that I could be there while they took measurements, pics, etc. I went with the one that I felt more at ease with. He was a nice, very patient man as I asked LOTS of questions. He took all of his info & made me a very detailed 7 page report which he sent to me. He also took very close up pictures of all the items & those were included too. I can''t remember how he priced his appraisals but I know he gave me a bit of a discount for needing so many. I did this for insurance purposes so I suppose that''s why it''s not as costly as going right to the GIA.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Leanne! What type of questions did you ask? Was it pertaining to the type of tests the appraiser performed for his fee? Anything else I should be thinking of?

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
I asked him ? about his training, how long he''d been in the business, how long he''d been in the area, etc. The only think I was dissapointed in is the fact that I didn''t take all of my jewelry into him squeeky clean & he didn''t bother to clean it before he looked at them. I''ve read that is very important so the appraiser can really see the difference between a speck of dirt & a flaw in the diamond. He told me that it didn''t matter because he could tell the differnce no matter what. I guess that is a ? I''d ask the professionals here, or I''d just make sure to take your diamond in as clean as possible. Are you wanting an appraisal for Insurane purposes? That''s another weird thing I don''t understand & maybe the professional gems could tell me, on my paperwork it says, "for insurance purposes only". What''s the difference in paying for an appraisal for Insurance or if you want to sell the diamond?

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/8/2005 1:14:04 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
I give them away for free when people buy diamonds
emotion-5.gif
That''s great Garry. I''m sure you make your customers/clients very comfortable with the buying transaction as well as keeping them entertained!
36.gif

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Good question Leanne! I didn''t know there was a difference!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depending on the value of the stone you plan to sell, a GIA cert may be a good bet...

aka if your stone could value around $5000, I''d spend $200 on getting a GIA cert, sometimes that can mean alot to people.

But if it''s a small stone or values around $1000 then it may not be worth it to spend that $200 when you can get an appraiser to look at it.

Depending on who you sell to, sometimes people value GIA certs very highly...so I''d determine if it''s worth it based on what you think the value of the stone could be and if it would significantly help a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results