shape
carat
color
clarity

How does a bezel hold the stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cjkoethc

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I''''m wondering how a bezel setting keeps the diamond in place? Does it "grip" the diamond? It seems scary!

Are diamonds more likely to fall out of bezel settings than prongs? I just don''''t understand the mechanics of a bezel.

Please let me know if you have some insight :) Thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is one of the most secure settings.

the edge of the diamond sits on a ledge then a ridge of metal is bent over the top so the stone is griped all around the edge.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
pic is worth a 1000 words :}

bezelSetting.jpg

cjkoethc

Rough_Rock
Since the metal is bending over the edge, I guess the diamond will look smaller in a bezel than in a prong setting? Or is the metal so thin that its irrelevant to the size?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 12:42:38 AM
Author: cjkoethc
Since the metal is bending over the edge, I guess the diamond will look smaller in a bezel than in a prong setting? Or is the metal so thin that its irrelevant to the size?

done right it doesnt make it look much smaller to me.
I love bezel settings and done right they dont hang over the stone much at all.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 12:42:38 AM
Author: cjkoethc
Not necessarily. IMO, a diamond set in a white-metal bezel actually looks larger than prong set. I''d look at a few of similar size set both ways and see what you think.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
when done properly, a bezel setting is much more secure and protective than simple prongs. just as the girdle is ''seated'' in prongs, it is also done so in the bezel, except that it emcompasses the entire girdle.

bezelillus.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's one thing about those drawings (at Blue Nile?) - they show very clearly how the bezel is made, but not how much of the diamond is covered. In the picture, about half of the upper girdle facets is covered
23.gif
... while in practice about 1/4 might. Their representation is allot clearer this way, but the bezel ends up looking as if allot of diamond is sunk in it
34.gif

I've tried to photoshop this down to size, but it isn't getting nowhere: it is clear why they chose to make the drawing as is - with less 'coverage' it isn't clear anymore how that bezel setting works.

I would agree that bezels make stones look larger - because the outline created is slightly larger than the diameter of the diamond. Bezel settings may extend allot away from the edge of the stone, but at the very minimum the walls are quite thin (1mm or so) and they extend about half width away from the edge of the diamond. In this scenario, the set bezel would be about 1mm wider than the diamond in it, and that minute bit means quite allot among diamonds (say, 1 to 1.5 cts for a round diamond).

My 2c
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CSP.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results