shape
carat
color
clarity

How Do You Ship Loose Diamonds?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t know where else to post this, so feel free to ask for it to be moved if necessary. I have a project with DK and I’m shipping a loose diamond to him. How does everyone typically send that? I assume UPS with tracking with a required signature would be the safest option?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ship mine using USPS Registered Mail and insured, of course. Once in a while I'll have them send me a label if it is a stone that is high value, but generally I just ship myself. I do think his insurance does have a limit, but I don't recall what it is.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! I reached out to him so hopefully I’ll get a label and my ring will be in my hot little hands very soon!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used his shipping label when I sent my diamond to him. Double boxed and a ridiculous amount of filament tape. I’m sure they had a good laugh over how much tape I used on the box.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I double box and also tape the box with the gem INTO the small box with tons of tape so when you shake it, you don’t hear anything. I had something stolen once so I’m paranoid!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK made my wife's setting. We had to send it back for a repair (damage wasn't their fault) and it was as simple as calling Amy and asking for a label so it was shipped fully insured.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
DK made my wife's setting. We had to send it back for a repair (damage wasn't their fault) and it was as simple as calling Amy and asking for a label so it was shipped fully insured.

I asked him how I should send it and he just told me his address was below. I didn’t feel right asking for a label after that so I sent it via UPS with tracking and added insurance to meet the value.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked him how I should send it and he just told me his address was below. I didn’t feel right asking for a label after that so I sent it via UPS with tracking and added insurance to meet the value.

I usually just ask the vendor to invoice me for a shipping label under their account.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I also have had him send me shipping labels and double box. Can’t wait to see your ring!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I also have had him send me shipping labels and double box. Can’t wait to see your ring!

I jumped the gun and went ahead and shipped it. Fingers crossed it makes it there ok. I can’t post the finished ring in SMTB, but it’ll be over on the LG page!

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure it will make it on time. He is great about letting you know when it arrives. I will be looking on the LG page! Hope it is all you are hoping for!!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure it will make it on time. He is great about letting you know when it arrives. I will be looking on the LG page! Hope it is all you are hoping for!!

Thank you, me too! And if not I’ll just list it on LT I guess. Haha!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Live and learn. Next time I’d definitely ask for the label. I’m okay paying for the shipping. It’s more about the convenience, etc. Buying your own insurance can get pricey and if you’ve ever filed a loss claim with FedEx, USPS, etc then you will also know they make you jump through hoops.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Live and learn. Next time I’d definitely ask for the label. I’m okay paying for the shipping. It’s more about the convenience, etc. Buying your own insurance can get pricey and if you’ve ever filed a loss claim with FedEx, USPS, etc then you will also know they make you jump through hoops.

Luckily the value was around $400 so for ground with tracking it was about $22. Next time (and hopefully there will be a next time) I’ll request a label even if I’m invoiced. Thanks for all your help everyone, I can’t wait to share my new piece when it arrives!

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
For me it depends on the vendor I am shipping to, I always get an insured fedex label from Caysie but it's typically more expensive stones that I have shipped to her. The times that I have used DK I have just shipped USPS, the last one I sent out was a smaller diamond around 700.00 value and I didn't even bother to insure it with USPS, guess it was my lucky day because it got there a day earlier than expected and was just fine.

I am getting ready to ship in the next few weeks to a vendor I have never shipped to before and they have offered a fedex label that I will pay for as well.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I may have to change my response. I've always used Registered Mail as that is supposed to be the safest. But I shipped a stone that way to DK on March 17 and it's been sitting in a USPS facility in L.A. since the 22nd (this past Wednesday) with no change in status or updates. I'm going to call tomorrow, but I'm a bit worried it is sitting there unnoticed. Generally it takes about 5 days to get to him from New England but we are on day 9 now with no movement for 4 days. Yikes.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Well I may have to change my response. I've always used Registered Mail as that is supposed to be the safest. But I shipped a stone that way to DK on March 17 and it's been sitting in a USPS facility in L.A. since the 22nd (this past Wednesday) with no change in status or updates. I'm going to call tomorrow, but I'm a bit worried it is sitting there unnoticed. Generally it takes about 5 days to get to him from New England but we are on day 9 now with no movement for 4 days. Yikes.

Sorry you are going through that. I guess I really did get lucky, I sent one out on the 18th which was a Saturday from the southeast and it arrived to him on the 20th. Hope you have a resolution soon.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

Oh no! I hope it arrives quickly and safely! Mines estimated to be delivered to him Thursday so I’m sure I’ll be nervous and checking it multiple times a day until then.

ETA: the employee at UPS told me she always recommends using a larger box for jewelry, as there’s less chance of it getting lost or being overlooked. I actually reused the Ritani box the diamond came in, which was quite large. Is estimate 8x12x3 or so.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sure it will be just fine. I always purchase a shipping label from him. He will send you a fully insured label for the amount you choose and send a PayPal invoice for the amount. You have to double box it. I find it to be less stressful this way.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't even know about the shipping label option so I just sent mine by UPS, tracked and insured. It arrived safely and DK let me know when he got it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results