shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you rid your home of illness?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did get a few hours last night, thankfully. So this antibiotic might be the ticket. I only had the first dose last night and that one dose already seems like it helped at least a little. I need to try that honey thing.

momhappy|1420637181|3812943 said:
ame|1420598870|3812800 said:
Thank you!

I had my allergy shot today (regular day for it) and my dr had checked me out at my appt last month and given me a zpak for what he determined was likely a sinus infection. He heard me today and I asked if he could check me out to see if I really am fighting a new bug or what is going on and he is trying a different antibiotic bec of the amount of snot I'm dealing with in the cough. DH is improving rapidly bec he can sleep, I cannot sleep bec I'm choking. If I so much as lean it starts! So let's hope!

When I had my on-going cough around Christmas, I was prescribed a night time cough medicine with hydrocodone. Like you, if I so much as moved slightly in the middle of the night, it would throw me into a coughing fit. Obviously, the hydrocodone allowed me to sleep.

I actually have that, and it's not made much of an impact. The urge to cough/snot choking me seems to be overtaking the codeine knocking me out. Normally it would work like a charm, save for when I had whooping cough despite every vaccination against, which this one is vaguely similar to (this seriously feels like whooping cough lite to me.)

soocool|1420638105|3812944 said:
Hope you are starting to feel better today. A couple of years ago I was battling numerous sinus infections that left me miserable and unable to sleep. I did not want to keep taking antibiotics so I bought a pillow wedge through Sharper Image that elevates my head and lets everything drain so my sinuses aren't clogged. I bought a Vick's personal humidifier at CVS that I used several times a day. But what truly helped and I use it year round is an ultrasonic diffuser that I also got at Sharper Image (called Jasmine) in which I use essential oils, like eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, peppermint ( not all at the same time of course). My husband said he has never slept better since using the essential oils and as well as helping me breathe better, it has greatly reduced his snoring. It also helped me get rid of an upper respiratory infection in much less than the 10 days it usually took.
I actually do sleep with one of those sweet 1970s chair pillows turned over so it's like a wedge, and that still hasn't helped. I am practically sitting upright.

Most essential oils I can't do, due to allergies.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
distracts said:
iLander|1420468575|3812059 said:
Lysol sprayed on the toilets, counters, sinks, etc. I also will rub straight rubbing alcohol on kitchen counters.

I hope that is 70% isopropyl alcohol, as 100% evaporates off too quickly to penetrate cell barriers. You need around 30% water to penetrate the cell barrier. I am sure you mean straight 70% isopropyl alcohol buuuuut. 99.9% is also easily available - I keep that on hand too for reforming broken makeup powders, but it is ineffective at sterilizing things.

Yes, usually buy the 70%. I had read somewhere that the evaporation rate is too fast for 90+, so I've been using 70. Didn't know why that was an issue, until you explained it, so thanks. :wavey:

It makes a fabulous rug spot cleaner, too. I worked with a chemical company for a while, and the only "active" ingredient is alcohol (with a bunch of different names). The rest is just to make it foamy or smell good. :bigsmile: Pour it on, scrub off with paper towels. Cleans up even old stains that have been sitting for a while.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Ame, I am glad that you got some treatment that seems to be working :appl: ! Yay for some decent sleep, right? I hope your hubby is getting better as well :D .

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
PattyCo|1420661899|3813098 said:
Ame, I am glad that you got some treatment that seems to be working :appl: ! Yay for some decent sleep, right? I hope your hubby is getting better as well :D .
He sure seems to be.

And I think this might be the ticket. I've never heard of this antibiotic so hopefully my body isn't resistant to it and it will make a huge improvement. Sleep is the biggest thing I need. Thank you!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chestal -- awesome stuff. It is honey based. You can take every couple of hours and it does not interfere with any of your other medications.

It really helps. After a few doses, it starts noticeably breaking up any goop in your throat so you cough it out.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1420743319|3813599 said:
Chestal -- awesome stuff. It is honey based. You can take every couple of hours and it does not interfere with any of your other medications.

It really helps. After a few doses, it starts noticeably breaking up any goop in your throat so you cough it out.
Ill check it out!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just read this thread, how are you doing Ame? Scared we have not heard in days, hope you are all better.

What I can add is that Echinacea is the end and be all for me, nothing else works as well, no matter what I am starting to get it stops it right away, I do take it in the highest doses if I feel I am catching something and take it from fall to spring in low doses now.

I have always taken Vitamin C daily, not too high a dose but with good bioavailability and also time release, that is important and high dose is not good for your kidneys among others but C was not enough by itself.

Probiotics, great idea to take courses of it in winter and especially when taking antibiotics, also when not as a lot of the immune response depends on the intestinal flora. It does matter what kind you buy, not all are created equal. They help me a lot.

Bleach everything you can and use hand sanitizer but sanitizing your hands only helps so much as most bacteria and vira are airborne. Most depends on your immune system, of course an overload will make just about everyone sick but try strengthening your immune system. I used to get sick all the time, really and weird vira I used to get everything under the sun and then complications, secondary infections, I am so happy I have found Echinacea.

Let us know how you are, what AB have you been prescribed?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Howdy,

It's called Cefdinir. I had never heard of it. I still have a few days left. I am improving a little so that's a plus! This weekend I ran some errands so we had food in the house again because we were expected to get an ice storm yesterday that thankfully missed us (my apologies to whomever got that...) I am finally starting to feel like I can function a little, though I woke up today with a ridiculous pinched nerve (a doozy!) and yesterday sprouted a pretty sweet cold sore. I am now adding Valtrex into the rotation of pills to pop ;-)

I can't find the honey Chestal, just the regular one. I have the Sambucus Immune stuff that another friend recommended that I am going to start taking, though I was planning to wait til I was more improved. And i also found some localish honey (a couple hours away). I will probably start taking that soon too.

I spent most of the weekend chilling in bed or on the couch or doing laundry. I was looking forward to sleeping all last week.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
OVincze|1421018077|3815024 said:
I just read this thread, how are you doing Ame? Scared we have not heard in days, hope you are all better.

What I can add is that Echinacea is the end and be all for me, nothing else works as well, no matter what I am starting to get it stops it right away, I do take it in the highest doses if I feel I am catching something and take it from fall to spring in low doses now.

I have always taken Vitamin C daily, not too high a dose but with good bioavailability and also time release, that is important and high dose is not good for your kidneys among others but C was not enough by itself.

Probiotics, great idea to take courses of it in winter and especially when taking antibiotics, also when not as a lot of the immune response depends on the intestinal flora. It does matter what kind you buy, not all are created equal. They help me a lot.

Bleach everything you can and use hand sanitizer but sanitizing your hands only helps so much as most bacteria and vira are airborne. Most depends on your immune system, of course an overload will make just about everyone sick but try strengthening your immune system. I used to get sick all the time, really and weird vira I used to get everything under the sun and then complications, secondary infections, I am so happy I have found Echinacea.

Let us know how you are, what AB have you been prescribed?

My experience with echinacea is that it works for some things, but not others. It seems to work well for colds, etc., but does not for major things (like strep, ear infections, etc.). My sister recently learned that lesson the hard way when she decided to try to treat her children's ear infections with things like echinacea, vitamin C, homeopathic ear drops, etc. (she wanted to try to avoid antibiotics). The ear infections got so bad, one of the kids ended up with a ruptured ear drum. We use echinacea/vit. c/zinc at the first sign of illness, but sometimes, certain illness requires more than that.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1421077630|3815254 said:
I absolutely hate honey but was at the end of the rope with coughing when TooPatient recommended Chestal in another thread. I bought it on amazon. I gag every time I take it but it does work on reducing cough for me when nothing else seems to help.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008R5OOFC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1421077328&sr=8-1&dpPl=1&dpID=416BVrBnQhL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40...

I can relate - I loathe honey. I'd rather cough all night than eat honey :sick:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results