shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you justify expensive splurges?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
How do you justify expensive splurges? Whether it's jewelry, art, vacations, cars, handbags, etc. Assuming you can easily afford it, pay cash, and no financial impact, how much do you have to want it and the benefits before you go for it? What is your thought process?

I'm a super saver, so it's hard for me to justify "treating myself." I am telling myself I haven't gotten to leave the house or see friends in over a year and will likely not be able to for a long time. Life is short and what's the point of money if it's not enjoyed?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
• If I've wanted something for a long while I am more likely to buy it.
• We buy our own gifts, so I may buy it and call it my Christmas gift and/or birthday gift.
• If it's a hard-to-find item and I finally find it, I am more likely to go ahead and buy it right away rather than lose the opportunity.
• If I expect to use it often, I am more likely to feel the expense is worthwhile.

I definitely want to be mindful of my splurging - I don’t want to allow myself to spend Willy nilly, especially because I’m still young and I think there’s other things my money can and should go towards (even if I can easily afford my luxury purchases). However, life is short, and you can’t take your money with you when you go - so it’s good to enjoy your life too, and nice things make me happy!

I have some arbitrary rules in place (I won’t buy more than 1-2 pieces of jewelry, 1 handbag, 2 scarves etc in a year. I also have a “discretionary spending fund” and sometimes I want things that are pricey, so in those cases I may need to save for months on end. That’s why I try to stagger my high value purchases or find substitutes that truly scratch the itch at a lower price). Initially I used to wait a predetermined amount of time before buying something because I was afraid I would collect a lot of stuff impulsively (I started out my collection with lots of inexpensive earrings and realised I was buying more things than I felt comfortable spending on in one go, because I wasnt taking time to enjoy one piece before moving to the next); but on the flip side, I once missed out on a killer deal because I was hemming and hawing. So now I just try to be super mindful, still try and spend a long time thinking something over before buying, but if there’s a great deal available and it’s something I feel like I will truly love and want; I just purchase without spending ages agonising. Life is short.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not that attached to money. I don’t view growing rich as a means to an end (especially since all my responsibilities are taken care of, like you mentioned). I also realize that my spending years are attached to my healthy years and the health of my loved ones. That is—if spending money can grant me pleasure, it’s An easy choice to make. I’ve been thru a very dark period in my life when I lost my brother, and trust me, no amount of spending would fill that void or did it even occur to me that it could.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can thank my dh for my perspective. Before him I had a different view. While I didn't deny myself per se I was more careful with money and I was a big saver. It is how I was able to buy my apartment in my twenties.

During our time together I have learned to view money differently. Greg taught me not be be frugal or deny myself. If we can afford it and we want it and will enjoy it just buy it. Boom, done. He spent his younger years scrimping and saving and he had enough.

And also, for me, I have come to realize just how short and fragile life can be and why spend it being cheap with yourself? If you can afford something you want you should get it. Anything I can do to make life sweeter (within reason and if I can afford it) I am more likely to do now.

You cannot take it with you and money is a means to an end and not something I value in and of itself. I use it to make life better. Sweeter. Easier.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not that attached to money. I don’t view growing rich as a means to an end (especially since all my responsibilities are taken care of, like you mentioned). I also realize that my spending years are attached to my healthy years and the health of my loved ones. That is—if spending money can grant me pleasure, it’s An easy choice to make. I’ve been thru a very dark period in my life when I lost my brother, and trust me, no amount of spending would fill that void or did it even occur to me that it could.

I am so sorry @nala about your brother.

I feel 100% the same way about money. It could never take the place of relationships or people. However, if it can make life easier let it. Enjoy it. Without guilt. Life can be so challenging and anything we can do to make our lives better (however we define that) is the philosophy I live by now. As long as one can afford it don't deny yourself.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you justify expensive splurges? Whether it's jewelry, art, vacations, cars, handbags, etc. Assuming you can easily afford it, pay cash, and no financial impact, how much do you have to want it and the benefits before you go for it? What is your thought process?

I'm a super saver, so it's hard for me to justify "treating myself." I am telling myself I haven't gotten to leave the house or see friends in over a year and will likely not be able to for a long time. Life is short and what's the point of money if it's not enjoyed?

i saved every penny i could in my 20s.

in my 30s i forced myself to buy something splurgy for my birthday. nothing too out there, but something i wanted more than needed.

now in my 40s the splurges are bigger but rarer. whatever it is has to really call to me. i can't think of much i want except for maybe one more big piece of jewelry.

travel is different imho, it's an experience...of all the trips i've taken all but one or two have been absolutely worth the money.

i think the question is always how much will you enjoy the splurgy thing? there are some i cherish -- the topaz necklace in my avatar was my first bday splurge and i love it even though i don't wear it often. =) but i've bought things i didn't get much use or joy out of, and that feels like a waste, so the desire has to be there for a long time before i buy.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I justify big splurges by saving them for big events like big birthdays, big anniversaries, or graduations (for the kids).

I have a big birthday around the corner so I'm thinking about a possible upgrade. My DD wants to go to Austria. I told her that sounded
like a good high school graduation present. Gives you something to look forward to and figure out if you really want that thing or if its
just a whim that's going to go away with time. Works for me!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
This thread came at a perfect time. I am in my late twenties and I come from a poor and frugal family. I grew up being told never to buy things I didn’t need. As a result, I have no debt and have a nice savings account. But I still struggle with splurging. Just this week I found a emerald cut diamond that I fell in love with. I can pay for it without using credit or going into debt. But I am mentally destroying myself over “should I? I don’t NEED it”. I think about all the ways I could save that money instead of spending it. But I get such joy out of toys. Sigh. It’s a never ending battle when you grow up being frugal to the point of ridiculousness. We want to buy a house in a few years. But does that mean that every extra penny has to go towards that? It’s something I am still figuring out. My DH is exasperated with me and tells me whenever I want something I can get it, because I don’t hardly ever make big purchases. And we live frugal in all other regards. It’s hard and I’m still learning !

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure how I would describe a splurge for myself. Pre-covid I travelled to Europe a fair amount, 4 or 5 times a year, always stayed in top tier hotels, flew in upper class, etc. but never thought of that as a splurge. Travel is what I enjoy doing and I could afford the trips. I don't covet a 5 ct. diamond; I barely ever wear the ones that I have that are over 2 cts. as I prefer my smaller rings. So I'm really not sure what would tempt me to splurge. I guess I don't view something as a splurge if it's something I want and I have the funds to purchase it without going into my savings. I'm older so the house is paid for, the car is paid for etc. So I guess my answer is that if it's something I want and I have the money for it, I've never thought of it as a splurge so there is nothing to justify.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justify? Huh? :doh::doh::doh:
There's nothing to justify.

This thread assumes everyone falls for that shame/guilt garbage that gets brainwashed into young kids by those super special criticism-exempt and tax-exempt organizations.

Do whatever you want that's legal and doesn't harm others.
Fk shame and guilt! :rolleyes:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of good perspectives. After thinking about it more, I have no issues with splurging if it's something I really want.

But, I rarely want anything and I'm not sure I want it that much. I'm bored and it would be something fun, new, enjoyable, and nice to have. Does how much you want something and/or the amount change how you justify the cost?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Tough one. I try to sell things before buying something else which makes me feel better about it (this is in reference to jewelry specifically). I don't feel a need to justify "splurging" on a nice dinner or travel for example. For material things, it is a love/hate relationship because while I don't need a reason exactly, I find that when I buy too frequently, it makes me less satisfied with the thing that I just bought before coveting something else. I think there are other PSers who struggle with this. So while I don't need to justify spending on something I like, I think that sometimes we buy something to feel happy, to fill a void, and that can be a slippery slope.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does how much you want something and/or the amount change how you justify the cost?

yes - if i am meh on something then the cost, how much space it takes up, whether i have something else that can fill that function etc all make more difference.

if it's a bling thing you're considering because it's been a rough year (and who doesn't need a treat this year?) is there a smaller interim treat (mani/pedi, fancy soaps, some cool little accessory) that you can give yourself to create more time/space to decide?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I am a saver much more than a shopper, but I’m also in the “what’s to justify?” camp. When it comes to leisure activities — travel, vacations, nice food, etc. — it’s something I value, so I account for that in budgeting and I don’t mind spending on those things (as you said, it’s not taking away from anything else). As far as material items, I have realized about myself that I don’t like being bogged down by “stuff.” If I have ten handbags sitting in the closet that I rarely use it feels like a waste to me; even if I love them I’d rather pass them along to someone who will use them. That deters me from buying things I won’t use often and enjoy. So when I do find something I know I’ll use and enjoy, I buy it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally stew on something for awhile to decide if it is something I really want. It isn’t so much about justifying as it is not wanting to have buyer’s remorse. If I am going to spend money on something. I need to know that I will use it and enjoy it. If I can’t get a lot of pleasure out of something, it is a waste of money to me.

Need and want are two different things. It is all about balance IMHO.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After putting my kids through day care, private schools and college - I am spending on ME. The problem is that after all those years of having to watch what I spend, I still struggle with justifying expensive splurges but have no problems making lots of smaller splurges that add up :wall:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I adore L'Occataine products and have no problem spending $$$ on hand soap, etc. Cuz I'm worth it! :P2

cheers--Sharon

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My most expensive purchase beside my house was my campervan, with a new base van and a high spec conversion. She is truly a tiny home from home.

Without her, I would not be able to continue to go camping due to decline in physical strength.

I knew this back in 2015, and spent a big chunk of my pensions/retirement savings on the van when I was able to withdraw money from them.

I want to enjoy camping as much as I can while I am still able to do so, and have no regrets whatsoever.

After seeing both films Nomadland and Supernova recently, I know I have done the right thing.

My spending on blings is a small fry compared to the campervan.

DK :))

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My most expensive purchase beside my house was my campervan, with a new base van and a high spec conversion. She is truly a tiny home from home.

Without her, I would not be able to continue to go camping due to decline in physical strength.

I knew this back in 2015, and spent a big chunk of my pensions/retirement savings on the van when I was able to withdraw money from them.

I want to enjoy camping as much as I can while I am still able to do so, and have no regrets whatsoever.

After seeing both films Nomadland and Supernova recently, I know I have done the right thing.

My spending on blings is a small fry compared to the campervan.

DK :))

i think your campervan is super awesome!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results