shape
carat
color
clarity

how do you defrost a turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
This may sound like a silly question to some of you, but really, how do you defrost a turkey properly? how long does it take to defrost a 22 lb turkey? We received a free turkey from the grocery store that we shop online. The turkey is 22 lbs and totally frozen. We don''t plan to hold a thanks giving dinner b/c it is only me and DH in this city. We want to defrost this turkey then make it into smaller pieces to make turkey soups (lots of soups of course).

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
3-4 hours per pound to thaw in the fridge at least (which is the proper way). So for a 22 lb bird I'd allow about 4 days.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The best, fastest(ish) and safest way to defrost anything is under cold running water. However, because that''s pretty wasteful, the second best is to use time and a refrigerator, because it''s the least wasteful, but most time consuming. I don''t recommend using a microwave because it doesn''t defrost evenly, and can damage the meat very very easily, but that''s another method.

I say best to mean that:
a. you don''t damage the meat
b. has the least hospitable environment for bacteria and other germies and
c. quick

Ohh so glad I don''t have to cook turkeys anytime soon for thanksgiving. My grandmother did it for years, now it''s my moms turn for oh, the next 30 or so years?? :)

GOOD LUCK! And if something goes wrong, remember there is nothing you can really do about it at that point, so just laugh and have fun-- don''t stress yourself out or your bound to miss out on a great holiday with delicious food.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results