shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you decide to give away/sell a CS?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Lately, I've been looking at my CSs, and trying to think about what to get rid of because I cannot set and/or wear everything. Plus, I'm finding that I like CSs that have at least one dimension greater or equal to 7 mm (face up) length. Will I regret, however, getting rid of my smaller stones? I have a peach sapphire that I love, but I think it is now to small for me (6 mm round). Will I feel like dumba$$ if I sell it? I will never find the same color again.

How do you decide to sell, and have you regreted it?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agonize over it. Usually I sell when I find something else I want, and it's too similar to the one I already have, or if I see something that's one of a kind and I liquidate things I feel like I could replace in the future or end up selling something I regret later.

So yes, I regret selling some stuff. Other stuff I'm happy to see go - not typically because I dislike it (uh, if it sparkles, I like it) but because I know it's going to a better home than the one I can give it, which typically means it's living in a box. I cannot afford to set everything, unfortunately.

This may sound weird, but I LOVE seeing stones I've sold pop back up in SMTB-type threads. I'm always glad that someone else loves them.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I have no plans whatsoever to set it, it goes in my "To Sell" pile. Now... I've had a "To Sell" pile since I've joined PS and haven't actually sold anything yet... I am always intimidated by creating the listings and taking the pictures! I really ought to though.

With anything else that I collect and occasionally sell off, I do basically the same thing - I keep it in a "To Sell" pile for several months, then list and sell it. If it goes into the "To Sell" pile and doesn't come back out, it is ready to be sold because obviously I'm not doing anything with it.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I do kind of a lot of selling out of my collection, although less lately. My criteria currently is that I want to sell anything that I know I won't set. If I don't like it enough to set it, then there's no point in keeping it. I have a fair amount of "curiosity gems" that I bought just to see certain gems in person, and while some are very pretty, most of them are either too large or too small for my personal preference, or just not worth setting. I only set gems in gold now, and it's not worth it to set a gem that's worth less than a certain dollar amount. My criteria for what that amount is isn't actually very high - but I guess I'd say a gem has to be worth at least $150-$200 at minimum. Otherwise it seems silly to me to pay setting costs. I will make exceptions though :)

I've sold a lot of pieces from when I first started collecting and I don't regret anything except for one ring - I wasn't nuts about the center stone, so I sold the ring. I REALLY wish I'd have kept it and just replaced the gem. At the time I didn't have anything good to replace it with in the necessary size, but I now have a few gems that would work if I'd kept it. (It was a ring from onegarnetgirl that would be way too much to replace just for the setting).

I don't really have any good advice - deciding what to buy and sell is so subjective for each person, I think. But I don't sell a piece if it feels like it would kill me to see someone else wearing it. Usually I can tell when I'm ready to let something go. However, I will sell a piece/gem I really like if it is for upgrading purposes - similar to what Freke said. If I bought something too similar, etc, or if I'm getting a bigger better version of a similar gem.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And re: your peach sapphire - could you set it in some kind of pendant with another stone or two, or in a halo pendant (the DanielM stock halo takes a 6mm round, and is like $170 in silver), or in a bypass ring? There are small stones that I am keeping that I have plans to set in multi-stone thingies.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. Katharath, I like the guideline of selling when I have something similar. I guess I am doing that with something I have listed already in preloved.

Distracts, I completely forgot about stock settings! My dream was to put it in a rose gold diamond halo, with a platinum shank. I wonder, will our vendors order parts from Stuller for me? Can anyone suggest someone.

Freke, your sold stones are so lovely! I still think about the lavender EC sapphire.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep what makes my heart sing and/or what I think I'll set. Occasionally, I fall out of love with something(s), and then sell. Sometimes they sell and sometimes not. When they sell and I am so excited for the new owner, I know I loved the stone but it was the right thing to do to sell. :))

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
There are many options for setting smaller stones if you like them and don't want to spend a great deal on setting them. Stock settings are a great idea for something like the peach sapphire.

So is a gemstone BTY necklace or bracelet - sterling silver if you want to keep costs down.

I like to think of these as a "story" necklace or bracelet for the favourites you will never set alone. There are also many options for multicoloured rings and they don't always have to be extra large and cocktail-ish over the top.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, my CS collection has gotten out of hand - at heart I am a minimalist and really don't wear tons of jewelry - I'm okay with a shoe-box (or maybe 2) full of loose colored gemstones, but I've got quite a bit more than that - and that's not even including all my jewelry pieces.

My gauge has already been mentioned by several posters above - if I am okay with imagining my stone owned and worn in some great setting by someone else, then I'm okay with selling it. If I think I may have some regrets, I hold on to it.

While I consider the colored gemstones and jewelry pieces I sell to be beautiful and good quality, it is more that:
- they don't get the wear, or
- the color and/or stone variety is already well represented in my collection, or
- as cool as it is, it doesn't look good with my coloring
- as great as it is, it hasn't stopped me looking for the stone that *really* works for me

Plus, I've realized I really only set rings - so stones I bought thinking I'd do a pendant or a DBTY necklace or bracelet, or dangling earrings... well, a lot of those CS wouldn't work in a ring setting for me, so even though I find them gorgeous, I am okay with selling those CS so someone else can have the pleasure of setting and wearing them.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can be very difficult, for sure! I kind of went nuts over the past few years, buying everything I liked, it seemed! And then, over the past several months, I have often pulled out my collection, thinking, okay...What can I part with, because how the heck am I going to set ALL THESE...Sometimes, I make a listing, or a few, and often, I just put it all away. I have the hardest time when I have a few or several items that are very similar, that all take my breath away! I have a few things right now, that I would part with, but only if someone is looking for that particular thing, so if I see a WTB, or hear of someone wanting something I might have, then I try to dehoard something at that point (but don't create a listing, because I'm not quite ready for that!). So, basically, if the other person's passion or desire for a stone I have is greater than mine, I try to part with it. Or, if I have a particular goal in mind, and I'm not giving an item in my collection the love/wear it deserves, then it goes. So far, there has been nothing I've regretted selling. There have been many that I've been a little wistful about as I've packaged them up, though...

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Recently I went through some of my items as well. I had some nice surprises: a ring I remembered as a light tsavorite garnet 5 stone, is in fact a mint garnet five stone.(Isn't marketing wonderful). I have a chrome diopside many stone ring that looked better to me than in my imaginings. I was counting up how many pieces I would sell if I knew how to do the mechanics. Its less than I thought.
Its less than a dozen pieces.(stones and jewelry)

IMO, some people on this forum buy way too many stones. If you love the peach sapphire, keep it. But if you have lost interest in some of your stones , sell them. Our taste changes, we learn more and its good to pare collections that have become too cumbersome.
Another thought, is why always buy stones, its so expensive to do the settings. In the past it wasn't that expensive. Why not look for ready made rings or earrings. I think we should discuss this.

Just select stones you don't love as much, but be careful not to sell those stones that can't be replaced easily,(Mehenge spinel, demantoids, etc. ect. peach sapphire) true orange spessertite.

Mostly i like what I have. Nothing top color, but nice nonetheless. I almost stopped buying altogether, unless an exceptional bargain comes around. I have bought maybe a half dozen stones in the last two yrs. I am getting better at choosing better.

Annette

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Recently I went through some of my items as well. I had some nice surprises: a ring I remembered as a light tsavorite garnet 5 stone, is in fact a mint garnet five stone.(Isn't marketing wonderful). I have a chrome diopside many stone ring that looked better to me than in my imaginings. I was counting up how many pieces I would sell if I knew how to do the mechanics. Its less than I thought.

IMO, some people on this forum buy way too many stones. If you love the peach sapphire, keep it. But if you have lost interest in some of your stones , sell them. Our taste changes, we learn more and its good to pare collections that have become too cumbersome.
Another thought, is why always buy stones, its so expensive to do the settings. In the past it wasn't that expensive. Why not look for ready made rings or earrings. I think we should discuss this.

Just select stones you don't love as much, but be careful not to sell those stones that can't be replaced easily,(Mehenge spinel, demantoids, etc. ect. peach sapphire) true orange spessertite.

Mostly i like what I have. Nothing top color, but nice nonetheless. I almost stopped buying altogether, unless an exceptional bargain comes around. I have bought maybe a half dozen stones in the last two yrs. I am getting better at choosing better.

Annette

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1389845864|3593810 said:
It can be very difficult, for sure! I kind of went nuts over the past few years, buying everything I liked, it seemed! And then, over the past several months, I have often pulled out my collection, thinking, okay...What can I part with, because how the heck am I going to set ALL THESE...Sometimes, I make a listing, or a few, and often, I just put it all away. I have the hardest time when I have a few or several items that are very similar, that all take my breath away! I have a few things right now, that I would part with, but only if someone is looking for that particular thing, so if I see a WTB, or hear of someone wanting something I might have, then I try to dehoard something at that point (but don't create a listing, because I'm not quite ready for that!). So, basically, if the other person's passion or desire for a stone I have is greater than mine, I try to part with it. Or, if I have a particular goal in mind, and I'm not giving an item in my collection the love/wear it deserves, then it goes. So far, there has been nothing I've regretted selling. There have been many that I've been a little wistful about as I've packaged them up, though...

Perfectly said - I couldn't agree more. They become like members of the family and if you know there is someone out there who is searching for one of your family members, it is so much easier. There have been times when I have had something for sale, it sold quickly, someone then gets in touch inquiring about it and is so disappointed to hear it has sold because they have been searching for something so similar....it is then that I often offer up and sell a stone that I had no intention of selling out of my collection just because I know it is something that they have been seriously searching for and will make them happy. Long sentence, that!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
For me, it gets to where I just know. One thing, remember small stones (which I do tend to prefer) have a use - you wear them for awhile and it makes your larger stones seem even larger when you put them on. [I've got a new, not too big star sapphire that I'm super excited about ;-) ] If you really like the color, you may want to hang on to it. I've got a 3-4 mm ruby & demantoid that blow away many of my larger stones.

What can be fun is to give one to a loved friend/relative who you think could appreciate it but had not developed an interest yet. (The start of enabling?) They seem to love them.

Some of the smaller/not a big deal/less expensive but interesting ones I do keep to study under the microscope I will get some day. I love cool inclusions, so those stay.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I also agree that NKOTB put it very well :)

Annette - one thing you mentioned you wanted to discuss - buying ready made rings, pieces, etc. I used to do that exclusively, and I would imagine a lot of others started off that way as well. I had to stop, though I wish I hadn't had to - it's much easier that way. The gems I prefer simply aren't as readily available already set (or at least they're not available in my price range). Mahenges, tsavs, mints, demantoids, spinel of all colors - it's hard to find them in my preferred setting style and price range. They're obviously not as well known as other gems so it seems that many jewelers use them less.

Plus I love knowing what my gems look like unset, getting all the specs, etc - buying them already set, you might be getting a gem that's less than ideal but has its flaws hidden by a setting. Anyway - things like that are the reason I focus on unset gems now. But you're absolutely right, it's much more expensive this way. I do look exhaustively for preloved pieces to save cash, but it's just a waiting game - waiting for a PSer who is upgrading, and willing to part with something previously much loved :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1389977437|3594704 said:
Hi,

Annette

Good points in the second paragraph, although I shouldn't talk, as I've bought way too many stones as well. :oops: To be honest, I don't have the heart to part with any of them because 1) I think some gem colors are getting very rare, and I see the prices going through the roof on many I already own and 2) I value my privacy and when you sell gems, you give a little of that up.

Like you, I stopped buying gems too, as I have enough, and nothing seems to be that tempting lately either. I've noticed a sharp decline in some species and colors that used to be quite plentiful before. The prices are now going through the roof on those.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, more good advice here. I like the point of not selling stones that you can't find anymore.

Something I've also noticed is that I tend to like stones that have a "straight" hue like, red, blue, green, purple and without strong secondary modifiers. My only weakness is peach, peach/pink, dusty pink, whatever you want to call it (but not bubble gum pink, hot pink, or fuchsia). I want to buy every single stone out there in this colorway if it is well cut, and does not have a brown tone. I find that in these lighter colors, I notice the cut a lot more. Freke, if you read this, I totally understand your collecting lavender. When I saw your collection on Preloved, it actually made me fall in love with lavender because I could see through your eyes the beauty of stones in this color.

I looked again at my peach sapphire and it's 6 mm, larger than I remember. I will not sell it. If it were larger at 7 mm, it would be a holy grail stone, but then I wouldn't be to afford it. I'll halo it. Over in RockyTalky, I think the halo is usually employed before upgrading a stone. I'll see if this sticks.

THANK YOU for helping me decide that. I almost listed it on LT.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1389988128|3594817 said:
I want to buy every single stone out there in this colorway if it is well cut, and does not have a brown tone.

I looked again at my peach sapphire and it's 6 mm, larger than I remember. I will not sell it. If it were larger at 7 mm, it would be a holy grail stone, but then I wouldn't be to afford it. I'll halo it. Over in RockyTalky, I think the halo is usually employed before upgrading a stone. I'll see if this sticks.

Oh, I so know that feeling. I'm the type of person that when I find a shirt that I like, I buy three of them, lol. I do the same thing with gems. I have to remind myself that I can't buy ALL of the green garnets or violet spinels or whatever. (There are a few types of gems that I repeatedly buy. I just bought my third small pair of demantoids, all three prs are almost the same, lol. I have no idea what I'll do with this pair, as I already have one pair of earrings, and one pair set in a ring. I just WANTED this third pair...I guess I'm hoarding. But they were beautifully cut, from Jeff Davies and at a good price, so I nabbed them).

Anyway - glad you decided to keep your peach sapphire. 6 mm really is big enough to look great in a halo! I hope you go for it :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1389824390|3593568 said:
Lately, I've been looking at my CSs, and trying to think about what to get rid of because I cannot set and/or wear everything. Plus, I'm finding that I like CSs that have at least one dimension greater or equal to 7 mm (face up) length. Will I regret, however, getting rid of my smaller stones? I have a peach sapphire that I love, but I think it is now to small for me (6 mm round). Will I feel like dumba$$ if I sell it? I will never find the same color again.

How do you decide to sell, and have you regreted it?

Maybe start slow. Sell a couple of things and see how it goes. I never sell things that I love. Just pieces that I never wear.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wink2: I have a lavender/periwinkle problem.

...speaking of, I should look into getting a hydrangea bush for my backyard...

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild said:

I've got about 8 full grown hydrangeas in my front and back yard, I'll trade you one or two for a lavender stone... :D

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
SouthernSunset|1389998080|3594978 said:
FrekeChild said:

I've got about 8 full grown hydrangeas in my front and back yard, I'll trade you one or two for a lavender stone... :D
Lol! I swear, every other person that messages me about something I'm selling, asks for a lavender stone! I don't have that many left I'm afraid...

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild said:
SouthernSunset|1389998080|3594978 said:
FrekeChild said:

Lol! I swear, every other person that messages me about something I'm selling, asks for a lavender stone! I don't have that many left I'm afraid...

XD I'm sure. Your stones and pieces are always so beautiful. I would think its easier to try and nab one from someone who has a proven similar taste and has done the hunting for you too.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think I have to accept that I love stones, and I'll have to give away or sell stones as time goes on (tastes change, priorities change). I used to not understand why everyone would sell and buy stones so frequently, and now I get it.

I should probably just go to the next Intergem...that would be cheaper than keeping on buying stones to hold them and pass them along if I don't set them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1390014787|3595186 said:
I think I have to accept that I love stones, and I'll have to give away or sell stones as time goes on (tastes change, priorities change). I used to not understand why everyone would sell and buy stones so frequently, and now I get it.

I should probably just go to the next Intergem...that would be cheaper than keeping on buying stones to hold them and pass them along if I don't set them.

Yes, just be careful at Intergem, as there are lots of seedy dealers, and treatment status isn't always determined. I have some nightmare stories about Intergem, and I would stick to gems that don't typically have treatment. At least online you can get some respectable dealers with good reputations, and also get gemological reports to back the stones up.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL. I will stick to Vance, Prima, and Africa Gems. I can't think of any other vendors at the moment that have been vetted thru here and go to Intergem. I'll also have to be careful about color shifting in different light.

My last holy grail stone is a emerald; I need to go see some emeralds in person to get used to them. I think Intergem is my best bet. I won't buy one the first time.

I also want to get a bigger stone than what I currently have, something 7 mm (if round or square) or equivalent in a EC or rectangular cushion. I'll probably get some kind of spinel since those are more affordable and durable, and I can decide if I like bigger stones. Nothing to grey or brown.

Hmm...I guess I am becoming strategic about my buying.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1390028334|3595291 said:
Thanks, TL. I will stick to Vance, Prima, and Africa Gems. I can't think of any other vendors at the moment that have been vetted thru here and go to Intergem. I'll also have to be careful about color shifting in different light.

My last holy grail stone is a emerald; I need to go see some emeralds in person to get used to them. I think Intergem is my best bet. I won't buy one the first time.

I also want to get a bigger stone than what I currently have, something 7 mm (if round or square) or equivalent in a EC or rectangular cushion. I'll probably get some kind of spinel since those are more affordable and durable, and I can decide if I like bigger stones. Nothing to grey or brown.

Hmm...I guess I am becoming strategic about my buying.

I had three nightmares as Intergem concerning emeralds. Actually my best buy of emeralds were on ebay many many years ago. Nowadays, I wouldn't buy emeralds from ebay either.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well now you've got me all curious about your emerald stories TL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1390030804|3595313 said:
Well now you've got me all curious about your emerald stories TL!

The first dealer sold me an emerald that he stated emphatically wasn't treated, and I found out it was, so I tried to return it, and he gave me a check that bounced. This was about 15 years ago. I spent $3500 on it, so it took forever to get my money back, like pulling teeth. I then bought another emerald from a dealer that set it in a platinum mounting and chipped the stone, and then charged me for the chip, like $700. He was a total jerk and still is at Intergem (B&B gems). The final story was that I purchased what I thought was a real emerald, and it was a doublet. Fortunately, I was able to return that one, but it was a headache. I learned a lot since then, but you have to be careful there.

I then bought some emeralds from ebay from a Colombian dealer, and I didn't pay that much for them. The best one I sent to an emerald dealer/gemologist in NYC who specializes in Colombian stones. He said it was very fine, appeared to be Muzo material, with minor treatment, and he would charge like $2K/carat for it. I bought the whole stone for much less. It is around 2 carats.

Go figure!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to know more....I'll start a new thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results