shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you calm The Jitters?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I posted recently that I have an interview for my dream job, a job which would not only be the ''pinnacle'' in my field, but would make everything 1000 easier for FI and I, in terms of our capacity to coordinate careers (not to mention insuring I could stay in the US).

I''ve been 100% focussed on preparing for this interview, which takes place this coming Monday. In a way I feel like, if I don''t get the job, I can deal with that. But if I screw up and THEN don''t get the job, I''m going to feel horrible. Well, I just found out that the organization in question is bringing in FIVE other prospective candidates. For some reason, I''m now totally disheartened and demoralized. And JITTERY!

I need advice. How do you ladies deal with the jitters? I really have to be chilled out if I''m going to have a chance. Heeeeelp!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 6:26:09 PM
Author:Independent Gal
I posted recently that I have an interview for my dream job, a job which would not only be the ''pinnacle'' in my field, but would make everything 1000 easier for FI and I, in terms of our capacity to coordinate careers (not to mention insuring I could stay in the US).

I''ve been 100% focussed on preparing for this interview, which takes place this coming Monday. In a way I feel like, if I don''t get the job, I can deal with that. But if I screw up and THEN don''t get the job, I''m going to feel horrible. Well, I just found out that the organization in question is bringing in FIVE other prospective candidates. For some reason, I''m now totally disheartened and demoralized. And JITTERY!

I need advice. How do you ladies deal with the jitters? I really have to be chilled out if I''m going to have a chance. Heeeeelp!
Think of the 5 most lame people you know and picture those 5 other candidates 10x lamer than the ones you know.

OK, I know that really won''t work. Neither will picturing people naked.

I try to think of it like this...whether or not you do great OR screw up, whatever happens during that interview is meant to be. You can only do your best, and sometimes that does mean screwing up. You can''t control the screw up part, but you can always try your best.

That usually helps me...as well as the oodles of self confidence I naturally ooze out of every pore of my body. Hehehe.
41.gif

Best of luck to you IG...I know you''ll knock ''em dead. Just remember, you should be sizing them up as much as they''re sizing you up. It goes both ways, so don''t forget to interview THEM! (That usually helps calms my nerves too...to think that they are dying to have me and I have to just see if they are the company I want to work for.)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Valium?
31.gif
How about a good round of physical exercise earlier in the day? (okay, the sex joke is already there, but I mean the other kind) Maybe a punching bag? Something to really vent on so that you can physically rid yourself of the emotions. Wishing you well!
35.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 8:10:37 PM
Author: lyra
Valium?
31.gif
How about a good round of physical exercise earlier in the day? (okay, the sex joke is already there, but I mean the other kind) Maybe a punching bag? Something to really vent on so that you can physically rid yourself of the emotions. Wishing you well!
35.gif

Punching bag, boyfriend, husband. Pretty much the same thing, and all will work equally as well.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i find that eating a banana right before a presentation or teaching really helps. and no, i don''t mean it in a lewd way.

the extra potassium should help calm the nerves. really.

best of luck preparing for your interview. i hope everything works out!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Independent Gal I use a technique from Energy psychology to really help calm down its called EFT and involves basically thinking about whats worrying you and tapping with your fingers on some acupuncture points.
There is heaps of info on it on the web but anedcotally I use it a lot with certain clients and me particularly for public speaking etc.
Here is a link but if your interested I can point you towards a simple instruction page.
EFT

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just make sure I get to do something in solitude that I really enjoy doing prior to the interview. For me, it''s going for a long run with my dogs, reading outside, or going to my favorite used book store and browsing for a ridiculously long time. Even if the jitter-source is early in the morning, say I''d have to wake up at 7 to get ready and arrive on time, I get up at 5 and make sure I have the time I need for myself before I have to go and deal with anybody else.

GOOD LUCK, Indy! I can''t wait to hear how it goes. I''m very excited for you, you should be quite proud for getting this opportunity for yourself.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
IG: here are two choices that may help you.
#1 confidence in yourself (that you have to master before interview).Concentrate only on yourself and not on other candidates.You are who you are and they are who they are you can''t change that.
Only one person will get the job ,so just believe in yourself and visulize yourself as the one who gets this job.
If above still gives you jitters then go to #2
If you could possibly remove yourself from the picture like imagine that its not really you who is having the interview and you are trying to help another person out.What would you tell them to do if they have jitters? YOu have to take yourself totally out of the picture here and just think how would you help " that person" out in this situation?How would you convince them that you think they are that perfect candidate for this job...Like you said in your post

"I really have to be chilled out if I''m going to have a chance. Heeeeelp! "

You are on the right track here just find a solution...
Keeping my fingers crossed for you...

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Visualization. You have prepared well for this and you are qualified for the job. Use visualization to imagine yourself confidently presenting your qualifications in the inteview. Imagine the good rapport you have with the interviewers and imagine yourself calmly and professionally answering their questions. Forget about the other candidates. They are just there to show that the selection team did their due diligence. YOU are the best one for the job and you can present that effectively in the interview.

Go for it!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Job interviews should not be perceived to be that scary (they can be and I can understand the jitters) but really if your called to an interview they WANT YOU to be the RIGHT person so in a sense you are interviewing them too to make sure they are RIGHT for you :).

GL Wishing you the best

For me when I am nervous I internalize it and just give it my best shot no one can ask anymore then that :)

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

Sadly the interview is in New Jersey, faaaar away from FI, so Richard''s otherwise excellent suggestion is out. But an aggresive workout before the interview sounds like a great idea. I''m going to check if there''s a gym at the hotel where they''re putting me up.

I also love the visualization idea, and am going to check out Kate''slink too. I''m pretty sure rapport will be easy, because I met with a woman in my organization who used to work for the place I''m interviewing at, and she said the guys I''ll be interviewed by are the biggest sweethearts EVER! I mean, they are extremely sharp and have high high standards, but they are kind and congenial and fun. No "personalities" of the bad kind, and no jerks. So that helps. A lot.

Confidence in myself. Hmmm. That''s the one I have to work on. Yes.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2007 5:05:46 AM
Author: Deelight
Job interviews should not be perceived to be that scary (they can be and I can understand the jitters) but really if your called to an interview they WANT YOU to be the RIGHT person so in a sense you are interviewing them too to make sure they are RIGHT for you :).

GL Wishing you the best

For me when I am nervous I internalize it and just give it my best shot no one can ask anymore then that :)
Deelight is right. Interviews are one occasion when you need to be anxious to do well but not so anxious that you can't function. Its a psychological phenomenon called the Yerkes Dodson curve (google if you wish). What it means when you have low anxiety performance is low. When you have high anxiety performance is low. To perform at your best or the optimal point you need to have some anxiety as in an athlete on the starting blocks being 'pumped' and anxious to do well.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been in a similar situation before. This is SO much easier to say than do, but I think mentally going over the skills, knowledge and/or experience that I have that would make me stand out and really contribute to whatever program/job/group to which I''m applying helps me have a sort of confidence that comes across as natural, instead of pushy or aggressive. I think I totally came across it by accident the first time, while I kept whooshing dramatically between thinking they''d be mad to not have me, and thinking that I was daft to even apply.

So, yes. Possibly not the best advice I''ve ever given, but it might help for you to remind yourself of all the reasons they really WOULD be lucky to have you, even if it just starts you out in a better place emotionally for the start of the interview.
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sending success vibes your way, IG!
emthup.gif
emidea.gif
emstar.gif

cheers--Sharon

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Good luck, IG! Today''s the day, right?

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Sending you good vibes and some PS fairy dust!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hope the interview is going well.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

IG, how are you feeling; did the interview go well?

cheers--Sharon

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
hi IG.. bumping this thread to see how ur interview went yesterday!! please keep us posted..
1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi Guys! Well, I''m still in New Jersey soon to head back to the airport. The whole interview process took about 14 hours. I was ready to collapse.

I have no idea how it went, although I didn''t feel particularly comfortable some of the time, so I''m not holding my breath. I DID manage to stay relaxed, thanks in part to some of your suggestions.

Apparently, they won''t be making a decision until mid December by which point I''ll be in Peru. So I guess the best thing is just to forget about it and go on with my life! Then if by some slim chance I actually get it, fine. Otherwise, so be it!

Thanks for all your support P''scopers!
35.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure you probably know this already, but don''t forget to send thank you notes to everyone that interviewed you!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
14 hours?! Jeezy creezy, what''d they have you doing, an obstacle course?
14.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Now 14 hours interview that is serious.It tells me that they were very interested in you , othervise they would not spent that much time.I can hardly wait for a follow up on this topic. I really think you got it...Let''s wait and see ...Please let us know..I wish you well and sounds like you were really good...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results