shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you afford your Jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I am relatively new here, just like to browse and learn, and I wonder....how do people on here afford such expensive items, when the economy is supposedly in the tank? Just wondering....hope no one gets upset with me......I mean, what the heck are ya''ll doing for a living?????
33.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Ditto SDL. It''s a legit question, and one I wondered often when I first started posting. Most of us who have been here a while actually aren''t buying expensive pieces, willy nilly, every week. I personally haven''t bought or received anything major since my sapphire earrings (wedding gift from DH) last year, and I don''t have anything in the works because we''re saving for a house downpayment. I have a list of "dream" jewelry, but honestly I CAN''T afford them!
9.gif
And that''s OK, as long as I realize that. Many people have a single project that they are pursuing over a relatively long period of time, and there''s a lot of excitement and support for them when it finally happens. And, if you check out the "Why are you here?" thread pinned to the top of the hangout forum list, you''ll see many people who came looking for jewelry and stayed for so many other reasons.

Besides, if we all were getting all the jewelry we ever wanted, why would we be here staring at "Show me the ring!" every day?
10.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Myself and D save quite a bit of our wages which is how we can afford things, although the only really expensive piece of jewellery that I have is my e-ring, which D had saved for.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m just spending my kids college education fund.
28.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Pick a project, save up for as long as it takes - and enjoy.
1.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I save save save! I''m currently saving up for my Christmas gift to myself (a pair of .25 ctw diamond studs) that will be my first real, important, expensive piece of jewelry. Other than that what I have are gifts from family or relatively inexpensive stones that are waiting to be set.

Really, I think it''s just that PSers value jewelry, so we save up for it instead of a new TV or small trips. I definitely put big trips above jewelry, but it doesn''t mean I don''t want nice things! It just means it takes longer.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I robbed a bank.
9.gif

Kidding.

Actually, I just save my pennies on a day to day basis by not owning a car, not eating much meat, not eating out too often, buying clothes on sale. So then, after mortgage, retirement fund, bills etc have been paid for, and if I have a little extra and there''s a special occasion (finishing an important work milestone, wedding day present for my mom, grandmother''s birthday) then I buy myself or someone I love a beautiful gemstone or piece of jewelry.

People do have different circumstances, though. Just because the economy is bad doesn''t mean that everyone is insecure in their job. Some people on PS have family businesses that are thriving. Others are in secure jobs as educators, researchers, consultants, doctors, lawyers, etc. So, everyone has different circumstances and different priorities.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately money doesn''t grow on trees.
So we have to work...save... then spend....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2008 3:17:39 PM
Author: Ellen
I'm just spending my kids college education fund.
28.gif
LOL! Yes she is
2.gif
3.gif

I do like SDL does
1.gif
a few pieces at a time.

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
most of my jewelry has been given to me... but i''m saving for something sparkly right now by taking a little bit out of each paycheck and saving it. it''s a slow process, but buying myself gifts has always been a priority
28.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Save and prioritize. My goal right now is to get this platinum tacori ruby and diamond ring. It''s not much, maybe $1500 on Overstock, but I''m putting money aside for it and hopefully I can get it by Christmas
16.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We save too. I''m a stay at home mother but my husband gets good commission every month
1.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Single, with no expenses other than my condo. I''m currently on a temporary domestic assignment from my job that pays an extra $35K this year. It''s basically "found" money. The three diamonds I''ve purchased this year are employer paid
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just because the economy is in the tank for some doesn''t mean it is for everyone...

But as others said, I don''t own a lot of expensive jewelry and I save for what I do have!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto San Diego Lady. I can understand that you have "stars" in your eyes when you come to this site, it seems like people are buying very expensive pieces left and right. However if you look further many of those pieces are anniversary or other benchmark pieces that have been long time in the making. Myself I went through a phase that coincided with a nice pay increase of getting a number of pieces. I worked it in the budget, and it worked because I didn''t overspend in other areas (clothes, makeup, accessories, etc). I do feel the change in the economy, and more importantly other goals are coming up the purchase of such items will be fewer and farther in between. I don''t mind, because the pieces I already have I enjoy every day and hope to enjoy them for a long while.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby took so long to propose that he had a lot more saved than he originally planned on saving, and that''s how he paid cash and bought me a much larger e-ring than I ever imagined I would have.

We''re with everyone else--work, save, then spend.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
My company started doing very well this year, and my commission has become a monthly rather than a quarterly thing.

I save my entire commission (in addition to other savings from both DH and I0, and then spend no more than 10% of the commission per month on a jewelry project. If I want a big piece, I skip a month or three until I have the funds.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
My hubby bought several pieces for me for special occasions (eg: birth of my sons, our wedding) and almost every year I will get one gift (i.e. jewelry) from him for the year rather than several smaller ones for birthday, valentines'' etc. That said, I purchase most of the pieces myself and working in an investment bank helps.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/2/2008 1:54:49 PM
Author:starsapphire
Hi, I am relatively new here, just like to browse and learn, and I wonder....how do people on here afford such expensive items, when the economy is supposedly in the tank? Just wondering....hope no one gets upset with me......I mean, what the heck are ya''ll doing for a living?????
33.gif
shhh1.gif
don''t tell my wife...i been buying her fake diamonds all these years.
hehe23.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
No kids here...I have a "jewelry fund" where I put extra money made here and there. It takes a while, but my bling that I buy is never on credit...just save save save. I''m a teacher, btw.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Short selling the markets. It''s been a banner year and I have lots of new jewelry from it.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/2/2008 3:24:09 PM
Author: geckodani
Pick a project, save up for as long as it takes - and enjoy.
1.gif
That''s how DH and I do it. Right now we''re working on a diamond/ruby band to match my wedding band in celebration of our son''s birth.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I save up and then buy a new pet rock.

I''m not into shoes or bags, and I do a lot of my shopping on Ebay. I''m a huge bargain hunter - except with my stones, there I expect to pay for the quality I want I also don''t drink.

So, all my spare cash goes on the house, the odd meal out, xmas/birthday presents and my pet rocks.

I work in a sector that isn''t affected by the credit crunch. We''re not rich, but we''re comfortable thanks to always living below our means.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/2/2008 7:24:27 PM
Author: tradergirl
Short selling the markets. It''s been a banner year and I have lots of new jewelry from it.
TG
what should i do with my DUG? i sold AMR too early
39.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I think that's a very good question!

And believe me, we are simply a MIDDLE CLASS WORKING family, and I swear no one is more surprised than ME that I have a gorgeous over-2-carat diamond!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Until I found PS, my only experience with diamond shopping/looking was local B&M stores... and the prices were exhorbitant, and the stones generally mediocre. I could just never justify spending that kind of money.

But once I found PS, and learned about *cut*, and also learned about killer, eyeclean J/SI stones
30.gif
(more BANG for the BUCK!), I realized that the diamond of my dreams may juuuuust be within my reach afterall! And THAT was a VERY HAPPY day!

So, I cashed in our TSA, sold the house, car, cat and kids, tapped into their college funds (wouldn't be needing them now), and started working *nights*
2.gif
, and there you have it!
9.gif
Haha!

Seriously, with savvy internet shopping, we were able to afford the ring from our savings (and whatta ya' know, still put food on the table!)
12.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One piece at a time...and 28 years of marriage....
31.gif

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
DF: I dumped my DUG this a.m. on the gap down in oil and bought oil futures. 110 was support so this gap under it to me was a short term buying opportunity. There are at least 3 other storms out there right now.

BTW, I remember when AMR hit $`1.50 in 2003. I wanted to buy it but didn't but I did have a friend do it. What a trade that was.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Work, budget and prioritise.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Also live alone without kids.

I budget a set amount for a nice piece every year, over the last 2 years my tax refund has been nice, so I use half towards a piece of jewelry, and half goes into savings. I never go into debt for jewelry. I always make sure my mortage, credit cards and other bills are paid before I spend fun money.

On months like this where I don''t have time to go shopping or out, and end up saving money, I also save the money towards a piece of jewelry.

Also, my and my BF do not buy huge gifts for each other. We buy each other smaller things and than spend money on ourselves. We know in the end he would not be happy with me picking out his sporting equitment or tools and I would not be happy with him picking out jewelry. It works for us, we are both happy, but it might not work for everyone.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
It just means my kids won''t get so much!! I''m spending it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results