shape
carat
color
clarity

How do ring stones actually hold up for everyday wear?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a bezel is a metal rim that encircles the edge or part of the edge of a gemstone

example
uploadfromtaptalk1407292567673.jpg

If you dont mind sharing, what kind of setting are you considering??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the description of your day work, I would go with a full bezel (you can have the pavilion area open to let some light in and also for easier cleaning) in platinum. Bleach and other chemicals will slowly eat away at the ring metal making it porous and weaker over time. The bezel will at least protect the sides of the stone so that you don't chip the girdle, although the crown facets are still exposed to damage.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
The jeweler listed in my area is Ben Bridge, a mall jeweler. I searched their website a d they had a surprisingly large collection of quarts that made me drool lots, but the only thing that could have been cristoberyl is a "yellow beryl" pendant.

As far as setting I hadn't given it too much thought. Most settings are either a little plain for my taste or have diamonds. I've occasionally dreamed of designing fine jewelry, just because its either the same classic shapes or gorgeous with a price to match. I do love details filigree stuff if it doesn't feel too mass produced. I figure setting is an area where he can do whatever. His taste is much more practical. Half the time I point out a ring to him he responds with pointing out all of the places it would catch on things, so I could see a bezel being perfect (now that I've confirmed bezel rings aren't made with bezel).

How does a bezel setting affect the look of the stone. My guess would be that it shades it and makes it look darker, which could be a challenge for my pale colored stone obsession, but also could be awesome for a white sapphire with a lot of blue in it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A yellow beryl is indeed a yellow beryl, and not a chrysoberyl. Many laypeople, including jewellery stores, probably have never heard of a chrysoberyl. A bezel setting will darken the stone a bit, which is why I prefer mine to have an open pavilion, rather than be totally enclosed (tube style). If a white sapphire has lots of blue, I don't think it will be considered a white sapphire anymore. :confused:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So your setting can't have any diamonds at all? Or only small melee?

I'm just trying to think of styles. Do you prefer a mix of colors? Or just one?

Also speaking of white sapphires, have you seen this? If it actually looks like this (white rather than clear) I think it would make just an amazing engagement ring. Bezel and all
http://www.concavegems.com/detail.cfm?zNum=6558

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I don't know what you're budget is, but from some of the things you've said, I feel like a James Meyer ring might be just the thing for you. He doesn't set outside stones, but I'm sure sense that's the case he could help source a stone.
I don't know you're budget, but if you go with a chryso, admittedly a more budget friendly stone, it might work great with his settings.

uploadfromtaptalk1410808288888.jpg

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
Wow Neil! That is definately our style! I love the leaves! As far as budget goes we haven't reached the point of setting one. I'm trying to figure out what the options are. Of course, the more budget friendly, the better. The process is figure what we want, save until we can afford it, get engaged, than get married when we can afford that . . . . At least it is in my head.

I actually spoke with a jeweler who suggested white sapphire. White sapphire refracts blue, and untreated, possibly lesser quality white sapphires have alot of blue in them. The white sapphire on the bottom of this page has definately blue in it http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/rapidcart/sapphire.html

I was so impressed with the precisiongemstones.com sapphire that was just posted that I made him check out the website. He poked around and gravitated to spinel. So that's another possibility.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cedar_lea|1410810679|3751388 said:
Wow Neil! That is definately our style! I love the leaves! As far as budget goes we haven't reached the point of setting one. I'm trying to figure out what the options are. Of course, the more budget friendly, the better. The process is figure what we want, save until we can afford it, get engaged, than get married when we can afford that . . . . At least it is in my head.

I actually spoke with a jeweler who suggested white sapphire. White sapphire refracts blue, and untreated, possibly lesser quality white sapphires have alot of blue in them. The white sapphire on the bottom of this page has definately blue in it http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/rapidcart/sapphire.html

I was so impressed with the precisiongemstones.com sapphire that was just posted that I made him check out the website. He poked around and gravitated to spinel. So that's another possibility.

Spinel are a great option. One in particular is a gray spinel. Colorless gray spinel is a bit harder to find BUT super cool, can be light or dark, and would be a neutral color, which is something many like in an e ring. Plus, also very budget friendly. And consider how nice it would look with platinum. So another option you and your hubby might like.

I hope you keep us in the loop with your process, your ring sounds like, whatever you pick, it'll be super cool.

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
He is really fond of the grey spinel. He loves grey tones anyways. The pale greens are really interesting too. So many wonderful options!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Have a look at JuliaB. I bought a pale gray supernova oval from her several months ago & it's a beautiful stone. The sparkly is amazing.
She has another and also does settings. I haven't set mine yet, that's the problem with collecting gem stones, keep buying but never decide how to set them.

This stone would give you nice finger coverage. She offers a 7 day inspection period so you can send it back if it isn't the one.

There are also some additional spinels and some pale sapphires on her site.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/169483398/precision-cut-supernova-oval-ceylon-gray?ref=shop_home_active_21

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
Wow woofmama! Thank you for the link. She has beautiful settings-- some of my favorites I've seen. The spiniel is really nice too. It might be a little darker than what I'm looking for, but its great to hear about the quality.

megthered

Rough_Rock
I love the Spinel, the grey is lovely. I have an emerald e-ring and an emerald eternity ring that I wear every day for he past 25 years. Not even a scratch. I think I will look at those grey's. It is love at first sight.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The key question here is not how durable the stone is but how heavy you are on your rings? Are you prone to knocking them against things? I ask that because I am a firm believe that any stone can and should be worn as an everyday ring IF and only IF you are a careful wearer. If you're not, there are a few stones I would say to stay away from such as Sphene etc. If you're reasonably careful and also will look after your rings then go for it.

One caveat - DO NOT take a chance if this ring will hold sentimental value or if you do, you must realise that it will take some looking after.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results