shape
carat
color
clarity

How do red Mahenge spinels compare to the Burmese ones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hope I''m not over posting here. But this might be a question that comes in handy to other people searching for gems. I wanted to type in red and hot pink in the title BTW but didn''t have enough room.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are not going to get a red Mahenge in sizes under 5 carats. If you are very lucky, you might find one under 5 ct with a very red hue but it’s going to be a long wait. Most Mahenges under 5 ct tend to be pink or show a combination of red and pink. In terms of price and availability, it’s easier and less expensive to get a hot pink and red Mahenge than a hot pink and red Burmese spinel of equal saturation at the moment.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
You weren''t kidding about the price difference! I contacted a vendor that deals in Burmese gems and he said for loup clean ( really I only need eye clean) hot pink, well cut Burmese he could find one for around 2000 per carat. I don''t have anything to compare it too as far as Burmese stones go. But Mahenge sounds like the way to go right now.

The ban on Burmese stones probably isn''t helping.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think that the ban has anything to do with it. I suspect that Burmese deposits are soon to be exhausted, that is all.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dumb question but is mahenge just defined as coming from mahenge? Is any color from there called a mahenge spinel or only the pink ones? Are all the pink ones mahenges or only the vivid ones?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It''s based on the place.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/27/2010 5:58:05 PM
Author: innerkitten
You weren''t kidding about the price difference! I contacted a vendor that deals in Burmese gems and he said for loup clean ( really I only need eye clean) hot pink, well cut Burmese he could find one for around 2000 per carat. I don''t have anything to compare it too as far as Burmese stones go. But Mahenge sounds like the way to go right now.

I may be mistaken, but the ban only affects ruby and jade. I am pretty sure that spinels aren''t under the ban.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/27/2010 5:58:05 PM
Author: innerkitten

The ban applies only to jadeite and ruby. Red spinel and other stones from Burma are not affected although sometimes U.S. Customs officials mistake red spinel for ruby.

Burmese Mogok and Namya red spinels set world color standards for spinel in my opinion. Their prices reflect it.

Richard M.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I was actually going to ask a similar question myself.

What about the hot pink Mehenge spinels and Burmese spinals, are there any differences?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firecracker,
Is your question comparing a hot pink Mahenge to a Burmese pink or to a Burmese red spinel?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Mahenge pink to Burmese pink

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mahenge pink wins hands down. The saturation of a top Burmese pink will never achieve that level of eye popping neon-ness a Mahenge pink does.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 9:49:05 PM
Author: Chrono
Mahenge pink wins hands down. The saturation of a top Burmese pink will never achieve that level of eye popping neon-ness a Mahenge pink does.

Thanks. That is helpful.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mahenge pinks are often "sleepy" due to microscopic inclusions that scatter light inside the stone. The fine pinks from Namya in Burma are very transparent and exhibit fluorescence similar to top Burmese rubies.

These images from Vicent Pardieu''s excellent article on red/pink spinel show fine gems from both locations (Namya in Burma at the top; Mahenge bottom). In judging color keep in mind the difference in backgrounds.

Production from Namya is sporadic due to seasonal mining conditions. Mahenge stones are probably more available currently due to the finds of two exceptionally large crystals several years ago that yielded considerable gemmy material.

Richard M.

Namya-Mahenge Spinel a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard,
Fine Mahenge stones can also be very transparent and fluorescence as well. I have seen a few that are very transparent and also some that fluorescence.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Mahenge is clean and fluoresces it''s little head off!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/2/2010 4:03:17 PM
Richard,

Fine Mahenge stones can also be very transparent and fluorescence as well. I have seen a few that are very transparent and also some that fluorescence.

I didn''t say there were no transparent Mahenges. I made a statement of fact about the tendency of some stones from that location to be "sleepy." Should I not have? I was simply presenting a visual comparison of the two.

Richard M.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/2/2010 4:11:08 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
My Mahenge is clean and fluoresces it''s little head off!

Well yippee-skip! I hope it doesn''t hurt its little self.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Z snap up !

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
In the picture Richard M put up the burmese and the Mahenge seem to have similar saturation - I do notice some slight differences, but it is hard to explain them.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! I''ve been waiting for a quality Mahenge, but I may change continents.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
From the photos they look pretty similar and they both look very pretty. I do see a bit more transparency in the Burma photo. Maybe it''s something you need to see in person in order to know what to look for.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d love a Namya pink but those are now incredibly difficult to find.
7.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some collectors go out of their way to find sleepy spinel material as well, since the silk inclusions impart what appears to be a soft glow in certain lighting. This can be quite attractive, and they tend to be more affordable than the pure transparent material, which makes them truly a "sleeper" stone (in a monetary sense that is
2.gif
). Regardless of what kind of locale you purchase one from, it''s always a plus to get a spinel with UV fluor as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slightly OT, but since we''re talking about pinks spinels, some Tajikistan spinels are quite beautiful. Not neon, but they often have a lavender secondary and they impart blue flashes of color when well cut. Here''s one from AmericanThai.

tajikistan_spinel_flashes.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 10:06:55 PM
7.gif

I saw a whole tray full at Pala right before I moved away from San Diego. But they were $$$$. And the ladies were saying that the prices were too low and they were going to talk to Bill about raising them.
7.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
*Some collectors*
emwink.gif
definitely love that sleepy version of Mahenge and how can one complain when the price is even less!

Date: 3/2/2010 10:11:40 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Some collectors go out of their way to find sleepy spinel material as well, since the silk inclusions impart what appears to be a soft glow in certain lighting. This can be quite attractive, and they tend to be more affordable than the pure transparent material, which makes them truly a ''sleeper'' stone (in a monetary sense that is
2.gif
). Regardless of what kind of locale you purchase one from, it''s always a plus to get a spinel with UV fluor as well.

silkyspin1.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 10:06:55 PM
7.gif

Patience, m''dear. That''s what collecting is about.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 10:55:04 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
*Some collectors*
emwink.gif
definitely love that sleepy version of Mahenge and how can one complain when the price is even less!

Date: 3/2/2010 10:11:40 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Some collectors go out of their way to find sleepy spinel material as well, since the silk inclusions impart what appears to be a soft glow in certain lighting. This can be quite attractive, and they tend to be more affordable than the pure transparent material, which makes them truly a ''sleeper'' stone (in a monetary sense that is
2.gif
LOL, yes, a certain collector came to mind when I thought of sleepy spinels.
2.gif
I guess your Pricescope handle says it all!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results