shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I wrap a gift?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
I want to wrap a gift well for the first time in my life (usually when giving gifts to my male friends, I use tons of newspaper wrapped into a ball) and I'm discovering that it's much harder than I initially thought!
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif

Hoping someone can tell me what I need to wrap something the size of a mug (its not a mug)? I would like to recreate something which looks like these:

click here for examples

click here for more examples

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there was actually a post about this where someone showed step by step how to wrap a gift but i can''t find it.
try a web search. there has to be a step by step wrapping tutorial out there. as for the bow, save your sanity. buy one. hint: this is the best time of the year to buy ribbon bows like the ones you want, it''s the season for gifts and bows!! look in the holiday decorating section.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Is it round like a mug or is it in a rectangular/square box? If it is round, the easiest thing to go is to get several sheets of tissue paper, sit the item in the middle, then pull the tissue paper up and gather it in the center of the top so that there is a poof of tissue coming up, and tie a ribbon around the base of the poof to hold it. I can''t find an image to save my life, but its like how gift baskets are wrapped in cellophane, but with colored tissue so its pretty.

Heres a set of instructions that show you how to wrap a box: http://www.ehow.com/how_8019_wrap-gift.html and there are some videos here, though I didn''t watch them, so I can''t actually vouch for their usefulness: http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/howto/gift_wrap.html

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried youtube? I bet there will be wrapping how to''s there. I''m sure I''ll need to look as I absolutely hate gift wrapping & usually wind up crying
38.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I love gift wrapping!

Okay:

Step 1 - put item in a box.

Step 2 - take your sheet of wrapping paper or roll (I prefer rolls) , lay the box on it with the longer side of the box facing the shortest side of the paper. Cut the paper long enough to cover all four shorter sides of the box plus 2 inches extra.

Step 3 - Place box on paper and leave slightly over half the height of the box ends sticking out each side.

Step 4 - Fold the first inch of the longer edge of the paper under

Step 5 - Place box in centre of paper and bring paper round to cover all four sides with the join in the centre. Place the side with the folded under bit on top so the edge is nice and neat and secure with sticky tape.

Step 6 - fold the sides of the paper in at the first end, smoothing it against the edge of the box. There will be a flap sticking up like an envelope. Fold this down and make edges neat - if necessary fold the tip of the envelope bit under. Repeat with bottom flap folding it up and secure with sticky tape.

Step 7 - repeat with other side.

Voila - one parcel.

To add the ribbon - place parcel slightly less than half way along ribbon with the good side facing down. Bring the ribbon up over the two sides and pass the left side behind the right. Bring the ribbons down the other two sides. Flip parecel over and secure with a knot or bow. You can then add all the fancy bits - but you will need a book for that.

Here is a link with pictures. http://www.ehow.com/how_8019_wrap-gift.html

Hope this helps.

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies

I think I will be fine with simple wrapping / making simple bows. What I really need help on is how to make the really complex ''over the top'' features. E.g. planting flowers, triple bows, bows within bows, etc?

Sorry if that''s a big ask. Does anyone know where I can get instructional help and inspiration on some of these more complex add-ons?

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
You can learn to make a bow here:
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/howtomakebows.html
http://www.eleganceinbloom.com/bows.html

You can also google "how to make a bow out of ribbon".

I use to work as a floral designer, so I like to make my own bows. Wired ribbon is easiest because the wire help you hold the shape of the bow even if your hand slips or something. Satin ribbon(single faced ones that florists use)will get creases where you twist to make a loop, so you can't really reuse the ribbon if you make a mistake. But if your hand slips, you can follow with the crease to remake the bow. Organza and double faced satin ribbons are harder because they don't hold the shape well. Organza is sheer and thin, so the size of the loops will determine if the bow is full or flat. Double faced satin is thick and doesn't crease much, so it require more forces/is harder to hold. With these two ribbons, you kind of just have to start over again.

There's three options to make double or multiple color bow. First option is to overlap two or more ribbons and make the loops. Second option is to make loops with first ribbon and cut ribbon, then layer second ribbon on top and make loops, and repeat with other ribbons to get the look you want. Third option is to make separately with the ribbons and tie them together afterward.

After you make the bow, then you wrap a piece/pieces of ribbon around the gift and tie the bow on.

If you want to get flowers or other decorations, you either just hot glue the decorations on the bow or you wire decorations and wrap the wire around the bow before you tie the bow onto the gift.

Hope this helps.

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Wow I didn''t consider the fact that ribbon creases if I tie it wrongly... might be safer if I just get it wrapped professionally.

Are florists the main place to go for good gift wrapping? I know department stores here (Australia) would do it for free but they won''t do it well, and I''d like to pay for it to be done well.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHAT!??? If the gift is in the shape and size of a mug I would totally suggest grabbing a quick brown paper (with handles) bag and stuffing it with tissue paper and then either tying the handles off with a pretty bow or sticking a pre-made one on...

sorry, I don''t mean to seem incredulous or rude, I just think that simple goes a long way...you can find plain brown/gold/silver handle (small) bags with rope/twine handles at Michael''s in 6 packs for less than $5 and then use ribbon or bows and colorful tissue to dress themup.
35.gif

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
lol thanks, but I''m specifically after the box + ribbon + huge triple bow + flowers look.

Sadly Ive discovered from the helpful instructional links above that I don''t have the time/effort to expend on learning how to make what I want, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction in where to get this done well

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Ok sweetie...don't throw in the towel.

The easiest way to form a spectacular upright bow JUST LIKE THOSE IN THE IMAGES is to do the following. Very simple...but keep in mind word descriptions will be longer than the actual procedure...so take the time to read this.

Have you ever seen in movies where someone is taking yarn and forming a ball? Usually a daughter has the yarn formed in a loop between here two outstretched arms while the mother is slowing unraveling the yarn into a formed ball?

That it is the same principle here. You need to form 5 or 6 loops with ribbon. Just go round and round in the same direction. If you have ever rolled up an extension cord...or garden hose it is the same principle. When you get your 5 or 6 circular trips completed, stop, take a wire tie and secure the loops in the center. (figure 8 now)

Take a cookie break because that was the hardest part.
36.gif

Now take your secured looped circles that actually are now wire tied in the center...(picture the figure 8) and begin to open the loops. Fluff them with abandonment! Open Open Open.....THERE you go! This bow will look like a large pom pon and what you do to the rest of the bow is going to be your own special touch. The easiest thing once again is to take an additional piece of the ribbon and take it under the bottom of your wrapped box around to the top and tie in a knot above the bow you made...you will make the knot tight and it will secure the bow. The extra lengh of ribbon will be your tails of the bow. VIOLA!!

You can make additional tails...you can add sparkly glass beads on sticks...you can add pinecones...lollipops...silk flowers that match paper...for a man...you can add a toy compass that matches map paper that you use for wrapping. Or just a simple elegant gold bow on black paper...white paper...foil paper.

The trick is buying WIRED ribbon (just as tiki girl told you) ...and look for the image to be the same on both sides. If you have a Sams Club they have the best deal in town. 100 feet for $7.00. Great fall colors, gold metallic, silvers, and some winter patterns, and a few Christmas. There will be more to come after the fall ones sell. This quantity will be sufficient for you to practice. You may like 10 loops...or 4.

And if all else fails...a simple bow just like you tie on your shoe...USING WIRED RIBBON will look spectacular. You will be able to fluff and form and it will maintain the shape you put it in as the wires hold the shape.

Don't give up.

DKS

CHEAT sheet: Hobby Lobby...Michael's offer a very clever preengineered bow. It comes in a flat package. You open it...Pull on one little tab and the magic of design pulls all the loops in and forms a beautiful bow. Another secret is they offer a foil wire ribbon it is stiff and rigid and most easy to work with.

THIS SHOULD ANSWER YOUR QUEST: Then while there...you can also buy a premade bow in the floral shop area. There are rich patterned tapestries...and silks and organza's. If you don't find what you want you can buy the ribbon off the shelf and have them form you a bow. You can watch their technique and ask live questions. You will have to pay for the labor...about $5 I assume.

All department stores offer gift wrapping on what you purchase...but most of their bows are premade.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Hey...do you know that second link you provided with the examples are only simple bows...

AS IN TIE YOUR SHOE BOW? Not kidding. All they did was stick a floral pick on the top for fluff and fill...and that is the magic you are searching for.

Lets Repeat that. You got all rilled up over a simple easy shoe lace bow!!! Honest.

Tie the ribbon...(lets get wired)...just like you would if you were tying your shoe ..start all the way around the box and end up on top...form your shoe lace bow...that is two loops and two tails...then add a floral pick (this is what those do dads are called. They are in bins at your craft store floral department...) run any where from .25 cents to $9.99 depending on quality.

Hon, you can do this.

Tie two shoe lace bows and add a pick...yours will be twice as fluffy as that web site!!!

DKS

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Wow thanks DKS!

Will definitely give wired ribbon and floral picks a try

hmmmm I''m still not too clear on how they attach floral picks and other doodads. Do they poke a hole in the box and thread the wire through it? How do they integrate these doodads so well, I cant see any sign of wires or tape etc

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
The doo dad is actually a PICK...as in toothpick. So you can insert it in floral foam like a wreath etc. In gift wrap you can clip the length off a bit...and poke it through the bow knot. You can tape it down also, usually hidden beneath the bow...a simple piece of clear tape will suffice~or then you can make your knot center down in the pick itself. (I would not advice a box poke...but can see how you came up with that.)

At Christmas I may take a pick apart. There may be some holly leaves that I want in a bow on a holly wrapped gift...and it will not have the pick still attached...tuck or tape will work just fine! What remains on the pick may be a pine cone and some evergreen stuff to be attached to yet another themed package. You don''t have to be rigid...just do what you feel looks best.

The wrapped packages you exampled many are organza ribbon. This is a beautiful feminine type of ribbon. See through. You can get it wired...but it is usually not as great a candidate for your large loopy bow...and if you look at those images you will see they mostly just shoe lace tied that as well.

Your quest has been for MANLY packages...so I don''t think Organza is even an option. hallmark gift stores have really increased there package topper sections. They have some really cool accessories. There are chrome type script words like celebrate, happy birthday, Laugh, there are hang tags to correspond to their papers. You might visit them for inspiration...and your wrapping paper.

Some of my most successful packages have been for men. Once I used a bike license plate hanging from the bow with his name on it. IT was for a man...not a little boy. It was a big hit. Another idea I took images of the man and sized them small in black and white. Pasted them on to card stock paper and used those photo album corner things...then I attached them to a rigid piece of wire that I spillared like a spring. The wires stuck up above the bow, and sort of jiggled. Every one was intrigued with it and enjoyed the photos. Adding tool or measuring tape or cuff links...there are so many options.

If your recipient is a coffee drinker you can get those tiny vacuum sealed 1 pot packs and shove them into a bow. Add a spoon with chocolate on it...and that is great idea.

For mens packages those paper metal ring temporary key tags work well for name tags. Luggage tags do too!

Oh...if it is a birthday...you can get a box of birthday cake candles and a box of matches an shove those into the bow.

You don''t have to go with the flowers... or the picks...your creativity and personalized touch will make just as strong of an impact than a perfectly wrapped package.

Oh dear...I could yack forever...that is a fact in case you are doubtful!!

DKS

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Thanks DKS, I now have a much better idea of how to construct what i''m after. The present is a lady, sorry I shouldve been clearer on that.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Whew...I thought you were wrapping and planning a flower for a man. I was trying to be delicate...and try to give you other suggestions.

You can always safety pin a doo dad on a bow. I once saw a hat pin used to attach detail to a package. Double whammy...because you gave yet another gift.

Something you may consider...is a fresh flower corsage pinned to a wrapped package. Obviously it would have to be done shortly before the gift unveiling...and couldn''t be left in a car. For mothers day I have done that with orchid corsages.

DKS

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
The corsage idea is an excellent one, thanks. Perhaps a corsage, if not, then (what do you call those feather/flower doodads women clip onto their hair and makes them look sexy and classy) - one of those. I''ll be heading over to a local arts and crafts store to see what my options are. (and might get said doodad from a nice department store)

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Not that it matters...but are you a fella? That last post made me think you were describing women as "A" them instead of we...which all along I have called you honey and sweetie...so not sure I should do that anymore until I know exactly who or WHAT
2.gif
I am writing to!! My apologies if my question offends...I always get sideways when I attempt to express humor...

Humor is relative (at least the attempt of humor)...and more so if you are offended.
6.gif

DKS

oh, the hair doo dad...not sure it has a name...I think it is a doo dad. Or a whatchamacallit.
2.gif

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Haha you''re overanalysing DKS. Yes I''m a fella ! I would''ve thought the tendency to use newspaper to giftwrap gifts (into a ball, I might add) for friends would give away the fact that I''m male.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Now that I know your gift is for a woman...if it is a special gift...which for some reason I think it is. Have you ever notice TV gifts? When a gift is given on tv it actually has a top and a bottom. It makes for a faster unveiling.

Well, it is apparent you are a freshman at gift wrap...so this may be too advanced for you to consider. But if the gift is a really sentimental gift...you can make it a TV wrap. That is where you wrap the top of the box and also the bottom of the box separately. The paper is brought into the box and glued down...on both parts. Then the ribbon is placed on each half and secured down with a staple or glue. Then the doo dad is attached. The advanced skill part is if the paper is patterned you want it to all match. There is also an option to use say...moss green on bottom and a floral print with moss green on the top. (or you can paint it...instead of wrapping with paper). Craft stores have really great paper mache boxes. They are in oval shapes, round shapes, square, star and even heart. This is the lid and bottom style. Fairly cheap. You can paint these and place velvet in the bottom and top. Still attach your doo dad on top!! With a beautiful bow!!

When she unveils the gift she merely separates the top from the bottom...and contained inside presented hidden in matching tissue paper is the gift. After she goes crazy with joy...she can put the top back on the bottom part and along with the attached do dad...and now your gift wrapped beauty is a forever keepsake.

I know I know...I should shutty uppy.
emotion-16.gif

DKS

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Truthfully, I couldn''t understand how a woman..girl...female has not wrapped a gift.

Oh, I have used comic paper and superimposed the recipient''s face in Dagwood...peanuts...pickles...etc. Newspaper is nothing to sneeze at! Most creative. Don''t knock your efforts!!

DKS- overanalyze? who moi? never.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results